The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Electronics Boomstar Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
Here is my Boomstar setup. I like the smaller color coded knobs they offer best. I came up with this layout and here is a link to some sound samples I created: Boomstar SEM Sound Samples | Invincible Music
Nice sounds man!! Where did u get those knobs?
Thanks!
Old 13th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Nice sounds man!! Where did u get those knobs?
Thanks!
Those are Studio Electronic knobs - I think it's the ones they use on there modular gear. When they refurbished them for me (I purchased them used) they changed out the knobs at my request at there shop. They also changed out the really small knobs at the bottom with the ones with the white dots on top. Maybe they just painted in the dots on those.

https://www.invinciblemusic.com/phoe...cording-studio

Last edited by AudioSoundzz; 21st November 2017 at 05:11 PM..
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Any of you guys by any luck have the Prophet Rev2 next to a Boomstar?
I would be interested how to they compare not on features but on raw sound.
(of course the prophet is polyphonic, so not talking about chords and stuff )
Thanks!
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Depends, but without playing a Rev2 (so you already know this is going to be good ) the Boomstar is more raw. You are talking about DCOs vs VCOs. It's very obvious to me listening to a Novation Bass Station with DCOs and a Boomstar. The Boomstars have more juice. I think they can compliment the Rev2 quite well. The Boomstars have a sub and juicy raw Oscillators. The Rev2 is going to be cleaner sounding. I think between the 2, to put it another way, the Boomstar would sound more vintage and the Rev2 more modern. Great random analysis I know.
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Addict

Kind of an apples/oranges comparison imho. Monos and polys have pretty different design criteria (in spite of the fact that some like to get multiple units of their favorite phat monosynth and polychain them ). Not sure how informative it would be to compare the oscillators and filters of a Prophet and a Boomstar. Certainly they will sound quite different, and each synth can do things the other cannot. Approved GS answer: get both!

Last edited by Blackdog128; 23rd November 2017 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: we don't capitalize "it"!
Old 23rd April 2018
Deleted User
Can you guys and gals make a recommend for two of these?

I make industrial type music and darkwave dance tracks ..

I have a P6, OB6, Rev2, Pulse II, Elektron Analog Keys, AS-1 for analog.

I was think the 4075 and SE80 but the 5089 seems like it might be more useful. Although the Analog Keys does do a pretty good Moog and the Behringer Model D might be a better route, which is why I keep coming to the Arp and SE.

What do you think? Recommendations?
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
Any of you guys by any luck have the Prophet Rev2 next to a Boomstar?
I would be interested how to they compare not on features but on raw sound.
(of course the prophet is polyphonic, so not talking about chords and stuff )
Thanks!
Not a Rev2, but I have a Prophet 08 and a Boomstar 4075, and there's no comparison. The filter is a million times better, as you'd expect, but since you can distort/overdrive the Boomstar at so many different stages (the mixer can go into warm Moogy drive, which goes even further if you plug Osc Out to Ext In, plus filter feedback and overdrive) you can dial in warm, vintage-like tones and extreme distorted noises that the Prophet can't touch. On the other hand, the Prophet's modulation goes much deeper than any pure analog machine can.
Old 23rd April 2018
Deleted User
I just snagged a brand new 4075 for $799. I guess I’ll just hear for myself.
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk_hour View Post
... The filter is a million times better, as you'd expect, ...
So... not what I would have expected! I personally love the DSI sound, but I would have thought the whole argument for a Boomstar over something like the Prophet would have been bigger, juicer, more raw sound (Boomstar) vs insane flexibility, programmability, and polyphony.

So you’re saying the Prophet has flexibility, programmability, polyphony... and sounds better?

Yeah, yeah, analog filter drive, etc, but that ^ (if it was also true to my ears) would be negating one my big reasons for wanting a Boomstar in the first place.
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by themammonmachine View Post
So... not what I would have expected! I personally love the DSI sound, but I would have thought the whole argument for a Boomstar over something like the Prophet would have been bigger, juicer, more raw sound (Boomstar) vs insane flexibility, programmability, and polyphony.

So you’re saying the Prophet has flexibility, programmability, polyphony... and sounds better?

Yeah, yeah, analog filter drive, etc, but that ^ (if it was also true to my ears) would be negating one my big reasons for wanting a Boomstar in the first place.
You're misreading my comment, I'm saying that the Boomstar filter sounds better. Everyone knows that the Prophet 08 has **** filters.
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're misreading my comment, I'm saying that the Boomstar filter sounds better. Everyone knows that the Prophet 08 has **** filters.
Ah, okay! The world makes sense again!
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themammonmachine View Post

I think the issue with this argument is that “better” is a term that we could use when describing synthesizers. Better is a term that should only be used to describe oneself’s opinion, as in, “I like this better.” For instance, one of the common “issues” with the Pro 2 is that its oscillators are a bit meh. I’m one of the complainers, but while I’m complaining, I’m also happy to have a less characterful oscillator in the Pro 2 because of all the options one has to mess with that oscillator. See what I mean? So, if you A/Bd the Boomstar sawtooth with the Pro 2’s sawtooth, you’d say the Boomstar was clearly “better” but that is out of context. When I’ve run the output of some of my VCO based synths into the Pro 2, I’ve had some great results, but also some bad when the native sawtooth worked a lot better than the external VCO. (Not a Boomstar, but I’ve run VCOs from my Neptune 2 into it)

So, do I like the Boomstar’s VCOs better than my 08’s? (Well, in the form of two Tetras) Hell yeah... when I’m looking for a big beefy analog mono synth sound. This next part is crucial. I’m not always looking for a big beefy analog mono synth sound. Maybe you are. I find ample reason to want both types of characters in my studio. Maybe you do. Maybe you don’t, but talking about these two synths as an “either/or” scenario is just silly. I’m not saying everyone has to like either of these synths, or both, but pitting them against each other in some sort of Internet forum death match does not make any sense at all.
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
You're misreading my comment, I'm saying that the Boomstar filter sounds better to me. Everyone knows that the Prophet 08 has different filters, that I don’t like.
Fixed that for ya!

Old 15th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Not a Rev2, but I have a Prophet 08 and a Boomstar 4075, and there's no comparison. The filter is a million times better, as you'd expect, but since you can distort/overdrive the Boomstar at so many different stages (the mixer can go into warm Moogy drive, which goes even further if you plug Osc Out to Ext In, plus filter feedback and overdrive) you can dial in warm, vintage-like tones and extreme distorted noises that the Prophet can't touch.
Yep, once you compare a Boomstar 4075 to the Prophet 08 (largely equivalent to a Rev2) for a mono lead I'd guess you will almost never use that Prophet 08 for a mono again. I've had both for a couple of years and find this same result over and over. I want the simplest setup possible, but I can't do without either.

The Boomstar isn't just rawer, it also can sound a whole lot brighter (as opposed to muffled) when the filter cutoff is moving up, filter sweeps are more satisfying sounding, and a "clean lead" with LFO modulating the filter sounds more musical.

Final note--the Boomstar has quite a few modulation options that the Prophet doesn't. There are more LFO waveforms, there's oscillator FM, filter distortion, envelopes that can be quickly inverted or cycled, continuous (vs. discrete) tuning for oscillators, CV in ports, and audio in so you could use the unit as an effects processor (on a drum machine, for example).

That's not bashing the REV2 or Prophet as "bad" at all, because the onboard sequencer, onboard arpeggiator, MIDI capabilities for all parameters, polyphony, patch memory, option for a 12db filter, 4 oscillators, and splits are pretty enormous DSI advantages!
Old 15th August 2018
se02 is my go to mono, it does everything i want. everything. it sounds big powerful or soft, it has an amazing sequencer with slides, and a lot of memory banks so its easy to find any kind of sound to throw in a mix and tweak... this is a gem...
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
se02 is my go to mono, it does everything i want. everything. it sounds big powerful or soft, it has an amazing sequencer with slides, and a lot of memory banks so its easy to find any kind of sound to throw in a mix and tweak... this is a gem...
uhhhh not the right topic Studio Electronics makes a number of synths.

Back on topic: combining a Peak with a Boomstar = every synth-with-a-filter design might be covered. FM is all I need now
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Just picked up a used SE80 on Reverb. Should get it tomorrow. Can't wait! I've had an ATC-1 since the late '90s and absolutely love it. It always delivers. Greg has done some upgrades over the years: all 4 filters internal, VCA mod, etc. It's always a pleasure to see him and the service has always been awesome. I've been drooling over the SE80 for years and can't wait to fire it up. Cheers to all the Boomstar fans out there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search