The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Which of the two (3003 or 4075) more closely mimic the Roland sound?
I know 3003 seems obvious but I've read the 4075 yields some Jupiter type sounds, albeit with one voice. I also saw a You Tube video where Marc St Regis said the 3003 had a lot of SH-101 character.
Just wondering if any owners have traversed into this territory.
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Any word on the revision 2.0 software update EPROM?

Really want LFO key restart...
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold View Post
I know 3003 seems obvious but I've read the 4075 yields some Jupiter type sounds, albeit with one voice. I also saw a You Tube video where Marc St Regis said the 3003 had a lot of SH-101 character.
3003, but It all depends which 'Roland sound' you are talking about.
I have both of them and both modules can 'mimic' the type of sound you are after but can also go far beyond the territory of Roland synths
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

The 3003 sounds in demos reminded me of one of my favourite softsynths: Audiorealism Bassline Pro. That also has FM and 2 Osc architecture and is modelled on the TB sound.
Old 16th September 2013
Quote:
3003 if you want TB-303 type of thing, and to an extent System 100 (the original one). its usually referred to as diode ladder filter.

for everything else Roland, or imo most of Rolands golden era, you want a filter that is based on cascaded integrators like ones in ssm, cem and ir3109 chips... and ARP 4072 and 4075 filters... so that would be Boomstar 4075.

you wont get the exact same sound of course, there are variations in different versions of this circuit obviously. and then other param like oscillators and vca, and gain staging. however, ive noticed most of the 4075 demos , esp with resonance, "behave" very similar to Rolands of that era.. think sh1/2/9, jp4/8/ju60 etc..

id definitely pick 4075 for Roland SH sound out of all monosynths avail on the market currently. there are more accurate options for this - but in modular land (oakley, corsynth, megaohm, doepfer and AM Synths offer some really great sounding clones)
Old 16th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, Clusterchord. I'm not really fond of TB sound; lean more toward SH. I like the SH09 and the MKS modules, especially the MKS80. So the 4075 looks like a better choice. Or maybe wait a while and see if Roland, under market pressure, reissues their MKS line with improved specs and improved programmability. Sorry for slight OT comment.
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

Any multi-boomstar owners tried going oscillator out of one into ext.in on another? 3 oscillators on the Arp or Moog filter might sound pretty sweet.
Old 16th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogia View Post
Hauntingly Beautiful! Bravo. A lovely cascade of sounds and refreshing musical progression. Would love to link it on our site.

Greg
SE
Thanks so much Greg! Of course, I'd absolutely love for you to link to it on your site. I'll email you guys some info...

Justin
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear
I haven't visited this forum for a while so I'm catching up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
What serial number Boomstar do you have? Maybe you're getting stuck notes/VCA closed and would benefit from the OS update. Mine is #33. Studio Electronics sent me an updated EPROM that I have to install in my B*, next chance I get.

They sent you an upgrade? Interesting.

I have this issue with audio cutting out in my Boomstar and no help from Studio Electronics...despite my emails....not good.
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post

I have this issue with audio cutting out in my Boomstar and no help from Studio Electronics...despite my emails....not good.
I think they're probably closer to having OS 2.0 finished by now and may be holding off on sending out any more Eproms until then. Either way, they should at least reply to your emails. Just make sure not to power cycle the unit (if the audio cuts out or you get a stuck note) by removing the power connector from the rear of the unit. You have to do it from the other end. If I have to power cycle, I just unplug the female end of the universal IEC cord from the rectangular piece and plug it back in.
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Head

Nothing to see here...decided to grab the 4075 and 3003. Couldn't pick one over the other.
Old 18th September 2013
Lives for gear

Alternative knob sets would be very cool
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Alternative knob sets would be very cool
Yes!
+1
Attached Thumbnails
Studio Electronics Boomstar-imageuploadedbygearslutz1379475400.568616.jpg  
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post

Raphael,

Had no idea you had fallen through the cracks! Apologies from all of us. Sounds like you are a few OS updates behind. Call us (310-640-3546) or email us your current shipping info, so we can get you up and running.

I did come across this: "Originally Posted by shaytron
i've had that problem of having to shorten MIDI notes slightly with several synths while sending MIDI out of ableton live - i figured it was either a quirk with my interface (m-audio fast track ultra), the DAW, or with MIDI in general. :/
I have this problem with the aftermarket MIDI for my Polysix. If MIDI notes are back to back in FL studio's piano roll, the first note doesn't get shut off. It happens after 5-15 minutes of sequencing.

A little nudge of each note-tail fixes the problem."

Perhaps Greg and I assumed this approach worked for you, as the dropout/stuck issues issues seemed to have faded out; the last OS/eprom update addressed DAW/sequencer note off quirks as well––apologies again.

Don't give up on that big B* sound just yet!

Marc
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I second the praise. The piece makes one feel one is being led inside a private yet universal truth––a method to keep away the madness. "Work."

M
Old 18th September 2013
Here for the gear

The MIDI control ability of the BOOMSTAR seems very, very limited. I haven't reviewed the other units referred to in general, but given the panel controls do not seem to provide good granularity of control, using MIDI to set parameters for the specific sound would be nice. Anyone know if the OS updates plan to expand MIDI support? That could make this product alot more appealing to me.
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingdavid View Post
The MIDI control ability of the BOOMSTAR seems very, very limited. I haven't reviewed the other units referred to in general, but given the panel controls do not seem to provide good granularity of control, using MIDI to set parameters for the specific sound would be nice. Anyone know if the OS updates plan to expand MIDI support? That could make this product a lot more appealing to me.
With the BoomStar, we have designed a pure analog instrument, excluding the LFO. There was no intention to digitize the front panel controls. Just the opposite in fact. Handy, yes, but it comes with undesirable artifacts. Once you introduce the extra circuitry needed, you jeopardize the quality of the tone. The digital scanning ends up too close to the analog signal path. The front panel controls provide perfectly smooth operation. The modulation depths are quite deep. With the exception of the filter envelope amount, we are using audio taper pots for mod depth. This allows for subtle introduction of modulation at the front end with deep modulation capabilities on the back end. I'll be the first to admit that the pots we use are not the mil spec audio tapers of the 60s and 70s. Those had a true log taper. The modern equivalents are mostly linear from 60% to max. I would disagree with your comment regarding the "granularity" of control. All the parameters are ranged properly and provide infinite, (as it's referred to) operation. It's not really infinite... We try to please everybody, but it's just not possible

Greg
SE
Old 20th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
With the BoomStar, we have designed a pure analog instrument, excluding the LFO. There was no intention to digitize the front panel controls. Just the opposite in fact. Handy, yes, but it comes with undesirable artifacts. Once you introduce the extra circuitry needed, you jeopardize the quality of the tone. The digital scanning ends up too close to the analog signal path. The front panel controls provide perfectly smooth operation. The modulation depths are quite deep. With the exception of the filter envelope amount, we are using audio taper pots for mod depth. This allows for subtle introduction of modulation at the front end with deep modulation capabilities on the back end. I'll be the first to admit that the pots we use are not the mil spec audio tapers of the 60s and 70s. Those had a true log taper. The modern equivalents are mostly linear from 60% to max. I would disagree with your comment regarding the "granularity" of control. All the parameters are ranged properly and provide infinite, (as it's referred to) operation. It's not really infinite... We try to please everybody, but it's just not possible

Greg
SE
You certainly please me!
Can't wait for module No 4, 5089.
The quality of tone and modulation of the B* took me by surprise at a time when I was looking for analogue textures.
I use the modules for anything from electro to film scoring.
Your philosophy makes real sense to me.
Makes me carve the sound, think, try, and come up with 'something'.
Slower process but very satisfying indeed at a time when software 'presets' are killing a good measure of the creative potential in musicians, making everybody sound the same.

Dare I say B* is an instrument for artists with personnality.
Thx Greg and team!

Gab
Old 20th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
...Your philosophy makes real sense to me.
Slower process but very satisfying indeed at a time when software 'presets' are killing a good measure of the creative potential in musicians, making everybody sound the same.

Dare I say B* is an instrument for artists with personality.
Thx Greg and team!

Gab
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Gab.

Greg
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
Your philosophy makes real sense to me.
This is too true. Software synths are good for using presets, but it does kill the creative potential of everyone using them. The nice thing about the Boomstar besides it sounding great is that there is there are so many nice features on it, when you're tweaking you get to hear a rainbow of sounds in the process.

I'm really wanting to add the B SEM in tandem with my 4075. That little sound loop that was made with the SEM that is in some of the Boomstar sound demos is so nice, nasally and bonky. I think I would really enjoy the SEM and I think that would be the next one that I would get. Wish there were more demos of it showing off the multimode filter.

Gab, have you thought about making a song that uses each of the Boomstars? That would be epic
Old 20th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
With the BoomStar, ... I would disagree with your comment regarding the "granularity" of control. All the parameters are ranged properly and provide infinite, (as it's referred to) operation. It's not really infinite... We try to please everybody, but it's just not possible

Greg
SE
Thanks Greg. The granularity comment came from another poster. I think I'll be ordering the 4075 version. Excited to add this to my collection.
Old 20th September 2013
Gear Nut

I'm really interested in the 303 is there any demos that showcase 303 acid lines I have heard the demo where the 303 sounds very aggressive but I would love to hear it just do the good old 303 acid lines

I wanted a original 303 but with the mod possibilities of the boomstar I'm really leaning towards a boomstar 303 now I'm not expecting a exact clone of the 303 sound/tone wise

So any good demos I can listin to ?
Old 20th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklops View Post
I'm really interested in the 303 is there any demos that showcase 303 acid lines I have heard the demo where the 303 sounds very aggressive but I would love to hear it just do the good old 303 acid lines

I wanted a original 303 but with the mod possibilities of the boomstar I'm really leaning towards a boomstar 303 now I'm not expecting a exact clone of the 303 sound/tone wise

So any good demos I can listin to ?
That is a very good question. I've been searching for an analog bass synth and one of the most crucial things for me is to be able to create smooth jazzbass like slides, which the infamous TB-303 miserably tries emulate. However Roland got something right as those 303 patterns sound very pleasing to the ear.

Still I am not sure if Boomstar can do those legato slides like 303. The manual says that the glide is hardware but there's no more specific details. I probably would have bought the 5089 or 4075 but this one got me thinking...
Old 21st September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Gab, have you thought about making a song that uses each of the Boomstars? That would be epic
I will!
Am travelling from one country to another at the moment.
As soon things calm down, I will send demos with different filters.

Ordering the 5089 next week!
G
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

I still can't make up my mind between the 5089 and 4075 models. I guess that is a good problem to have... Does the 5089 have that SE-1 low end? Anybody got some more demos with the 5089? I'm lusting for something Moogish, but from the demos the 4075 appears somewhat more tastier.
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Maniac

Someone on the Waldorf Pulse 2 thread just described the Boomstars as "unsnappy". I think he was referring to the LFOs interaction with other elements of the synth; if he thinks the envelope control is digital then he is mistaken.
I'm still learning about synths but I'm glad I bought a few because if I tried to determine an "acceptable" synth from a lot of these threads I'd still be undecided and probably the meteor would hit before I bought one.
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
I still can't make up my mind between the 5089 and 4075 models. I guess that is a good problem to have... Does the 5089 have that SE-1 low end? Anybody got some more demos with the 5089? I'm lusting for something Moogish, but from the demos the 4075 appears somewhat more tastier.

Both the 4075 and the 5089 have great low end. I would have to say though that the 5089 has an extra helping of low boom, It's as good or better than the SE-1. The Moog filter is a beautiful thing when done right. Super lows and pristine highs.

Greg
SE
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
That is a very good question. I've been searching for an analog bass synth and one of the most crucial things for me is to be able to create smooth jazzbass like slides, which the infamous TB-303 miserably tries emulate. However Roland got something right as those 303 patterns sound very pleasing to the ear.

Still I am not sure if Boomstar can do those legato slides like 303. The manual says that the glide is hardware but there's no more specific details. I probably would have bought the 5089 or 4075 but this one got me thinking...
The glide is hardware, so we can't have it respond to legato notes. We think we can use the pitch bend cv to implement a slide function that would be turned on and off via a cc. I had almost forgotten about it.

Greg
SE
Old 24th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Someone on the Waldorf Pulse 2 thread just described the Boomstars as "unsnappy". I think he was referring to the LFOs interaction with other elements of the synth; if he thinks the envelope control is digital then he is mistaken.
I'm still learning about synths but I'm glad I bought a few because if I tried to determine an "acceptable" synth from a lot of these threads I'd still be undecided and probably the meteor would hit before I bought one.
"Unsnappy" The BoomStar envelopes are all hardware, snappy and fasty.

Greg
SE
Old 24th September 2013
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Release View Post
Got my Boomstar 4075 recently and wanted to share this patch with all of you:

Where/how can I buy one looking exactly like yours? I can't find any options on their site for customization or choosing between different designs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search