Gear Guru

Quick work. Thanks gents!
Old 23rd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolic View Post
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/ind..._Compatibility

V5 has widest confirmed capability.
Looks like V6 works with S1000 though and is 4 times as fast and adds a usb port for outside access. Also more money but feels worth it...
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I don't see any support for MPC 60...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Looks like V6 works with S1000 though and is 4 times as fast
Even V5 is overkill in terms of speed for S1000's SCSI response. It's a 30 year old device.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Even V5 is overkill in terms of speed for S1000's SCSI response. It's a 30 year old device.
So because of the S1000 SCSI speed the difference makes no difference in use?

So it's 'do I want the usb enough to pay an extra 40 quid'....hmmm. Probably not.
I don't know. I never tested side by side. I just find all old sampler scsi performance a bit slow compared to modern day ssd. So the bottle neck is most likely the cpu.
Old 23rd August 2020
well i just shot two respective S1000 sellers offers. one is better looking with 20mb, another worse looking but with 32mb. let's see what happens ..

Old 24th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Akai DR4d. That was my only Akai until the MPC Live II. I want an X.
Old 24th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I don't see any support for MPC 60...?
Heya mate - I looked up my Inertial Computing order history for you.
I got this:
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/...-bracket-white
for my MPC60 and can confirm it works perfectly.
Old 25th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Heya mate - I looked up my Inertial Computing order history for you.
I got this:
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/...-bracket-white
for my MPC60 and can confirm it works perfectly.
Good looking out bro, thanks!
Old 26th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
one is better looking with 20mb, another worse looking but with 32mb.
20mb'er, no brainer. memory is going to cheaper than new faceplate and chassis covers, if you can find them used and in good nick.

i know this doesnt always work but if it looks cared for on the outside then it has probably been cared for on the inside. hence my purchase an hour ago of a very fine example of an s6000 from makenoise.
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Nut

I've recently plugged my S2800 back in after 20 years and I've also just bought a 3000XL. Will my S2800 floppies load ok on the 3000XL?

Also, skimming the thread and just seen the SCSI2SD solution - m i n d b l o w n

Re the SCSI2SD solution:

1) am I right to assume that this device allows me to save my work (samples, programs) to the SD on the adaptor as if I were saving to floppy?

2) can I format the SD from the sampler or does it need to be done another way? (I'm a Mac user, I don't have access to a PC)

3) if the answers to both the above are 'yes' then I may lose my tiny mind with excitement.

thanks.
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStairs View Post
I've recently plugged my S2800 back in after 20 years and I've also just bought a 3000XL. Will my S2800 floppies load ok on the 3000XL?

Also, skimming the thread and just seen the SCSI2SD solution - m i n d b l o w n

Re the SCSI2SD solution:

1) am I right to assume that this device allows me to save my work (samples, programs) to the SD on the adaptor as if I were saving to floppy?

2) can I format the SD from the sampler or does it need to be done another way? (I'm a Mac user, I don't have access to a PC)

another bit of good news for ya, you can buy replacement hi vis lcd screens for your 3000xl on ebay.

3) if the answers to both the above are 'yes' then I may lose my tiny mind with excitement.

thanks.
i know nothing about 2x00 and 3x00's, XL or not.
i know 2 things about macs, buggerall and nothing

you wont loose your mind on answers to 1 2 and 3, you'll be jizzing your pants.

floppy drive has nothing to do with scsi2sd.
to replace a floppy drive you will need a floppy drive emulator from Lothatrek or Gotec.

scsi2sd allows or replaces a hdd that itself is either on the units internal or external scsi bus.
if you want to use it internally you can buy a mounting bracket that fits inplace of a 3.5inch floppy drive where you have easy access to the sd card. to use it externally you will need a box for it and the correct scsi cable.

excited yet?
this next bit is where you will jizz.

if you see the 2 videos on YT i posted, look at the 17minute one with the aussie guy, brancus(i think).
and Rebirth Of The Akai S3000xl (SCSI2SD) Pt 1

scsi2sd has a usb slot so you can access it from your pc/mac and it will show up as a scsi device. you can transfer files directly to it from your pc although they will have to be in the correct akai format which i know sod all about. watch the 3000xl video.

yes, you can save your programs and samples to it as if it was a scsi hdd, it emulates the hdd.

you can format the sd card either from your pc directly or by using the software for scsi2sd. i dont know the exact procedure for doing it, i only know its possible.

i dont know how or if it works on macs though :(

now change your underwear

going by prices here in the UK a scsi2sd kit should be about £80+ for the internal, maybe about £130 for the external kit.

i bought the 5 and 6k because they both use usb(plug in card) and wav files, aksys where i can get the 5/6k front panels on the pc and edit from there ontop of floppy drive emulator and scsi2sd.

i have got the best of all worlds
Lives for gear

AFAIK the S2800 is the S3000XL without the 8 extra outputs. The S2000 was the same motherboard but a different front panel, the S2800 had the S3000XLs front panel but less outputs and was maybe missing a memory slot (one site says it maxes out at 16mb at least).
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
i know nothing about 2x00 and 3x00's, XL or not.
i know 2 things about macs, buggerall and nothing

you wont loose your mind on answers to 1 2 and 3, you'll be jizzing your pants.

floppy drive has nothing to do with scsi2sd.
to replace a floppy drive you will need a floppy drive emulator from Lothatrek or Gotec.

scsi2sd allows or replaces a hdd that itself is either on the units internal or external scsi bus.
if you want to use it internally you can buy a mounting bracket that fits inplace of a 3.5inch floppy drive where you have easy access to the sd card. to use it externally you will need a box for it and the correct scsi cable.

excited yet?
this next bit is where you will jizz.

if you see the 2 videos on YT i posted, look at the 17minute one with the aussie guy, brancus(i think).
and Rebirth Of The Akai S3000xl (SCSI2SD) Pt 1

scsi2sd has a usb slot so you can access it from your pc/mac and it will show up as a scsi device. you can transfer files directly to it from your pc although they will have to be in the correct akai format which i know sod all about. watch the 3000xl video.

yes, you can save your programs and samples to it as if it was a scsi hdd, it emulates the hdd.

you can format the sd card either from your pc directly or by using the software for scsi2sd. i dont know the exact procedure for doing it, i only know its possible.

i dont know how or if it works on macs though :(

now change your underwear

going by prices here in the UK a scsi2sd kit should be about £80+ for the internal, maybe about £130 for the external kit.

i bought the 5 and 6k because they both use usb(plug in card) and wav files, aksys where i can get the 5/6k front panels on the pc and edit from there ontop of floppy drive emulator and scsi2sd.

i have got the best of all worlds

This is incredible, thanks.
Lives for gear
@ UnderTheStairs you came, you saw, you came
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
AFAIK the S2800 is the S3000XL without the 8 extra outputs. The S2000 was the same motherboard but a different front panel, the S2800 had the S3000XLs front panel but less outputs and was maybe missing a memory slot (one site says it maxes out at 16mb at least).
The OS works slightly differently and the front button layout is also different but it has most of the benefits of the 3000XL afaik. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick mine up! The OS v2.0 update improved it a lot if I remember rightly. Also the 3000XL has multi mode/button whereas the 2800 doesn't. But yeah, you have only a main stereo out on the 2800 and 2 extra outs that can be paired as stereo if you set your samples up in your programs that way or you can use each as a mono out for drums or bass (or whatever). You can also add the SPDIF output board but they're hard to find.

In a way it's perfect to use just as a dedicated 2 channel drum unit with an additional stereo main out if needed. Powerful fat sound and just fun and satisfying to use with a front panel and OS that is very quick to move around I find.

I tried drum sampling/editing on Logic Pro X 10.5 and while I was impressed I still think I prefer using the Akai. It's just more fun to me, adds a different dimension to the experience.

Edit: Oh and also, the 2800 has an effects board as standard whereas the 3000XL didn't. I like the effects but essentially it's 50 different delay configurations.

Last edited by UnderTheStairs; 29th August 2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...
Gear Nut

Quote:
@ UnderTheStairs you came, you saw, you came

Man I've done the equivalent of walking in from a 20 year long wilderness of not using my gear. To discover that I don't have to use floppies anymore and for about 100 English pounds, have a massive 16GB of storage for samples and programs is incredible to me. I plan to go through this entire thread in the hopes of further Akai revelations.

Also hoping that it's not too hard to work out how to get the SCSI2HD thing set up and usable with my Mac and 3000XL. Gonna get in touch with the people at the Amiga site and see if they can guide me on the right things to buy. I like the idea of the external adaptor at the back so I can retain the ability to access floppies but I also really like the idea of being able to connect to my Mac directly via the floppy drive face plate version.
Lives for gear
@ UnderTheStairs

from the guy who gave us the JJOS for the mpc's

Old 30th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
here is my 6000(i can post links now), isnt she a beauty
guess who i bought it from

Quote:
here is my 6000(i can post links now), isnt she a beauty
guess who i bought it from
2 Choice,
The guy that sold it on eBay

OR,

Philip Glass.

Am I right or am I right ?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
It is common to mix up S3000 with S3000XL. The S2800, S3000 and S3200 samplers were released few years before S3000XL. They should have the same sound characteristic as MPC 3000. The S3000XL is a newer cost cut design with repurposed S2800 case.

You can read about that family here: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/ak...-samplers/2420
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheStairs View Post
Will my S2800 floppies load ok on the 3000XL?
I've now received my S3000XL. Some floppies report as unreadable/the wrong format even though they work on the 2800. Others read fine. The FX files are incompatible.

Last edited by UnderTheStairs; 30th August 2020 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Issue fixed.
Lives for gear
@ UnderTheStairs oh man did the seller say there was a fault?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
It is common to mix up S3000 with S3000XL. The S2800, S3000 and S3200 samplers were released few years before S3000XL. They should have the same sound characteristic as MPC 3000. The S3000XL is a newer cost cut design with repurposed S2800 case.

You can read about that family here: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/ak...-samplers/2420
Ah, I always just assumed it was derived from the XL because of the 2U case (like the S2k). Thanks for the link.
Lives for gear
It is a good overview, but misses any discussion about how the different generations play back the samples. The focus is instead on how much memory, what kind of outputs and studio functional features that don't so much impact the sound as much as how the samples are played back.

Key point is IMO s612/700/X7000/s900/s950: transposition by variable clock rate of individual DACs.

S1000/S1100: 8 point windowed sinc interpolation

post S3000 and later: linear interpolation.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
It is a good overview, but misses any discussion about how the different generations play back the samples.
for the experienced user that is true, but there are many beginners who wont know what they want and just the basic specs and release dates will be enough to steer them in the right direction.
Here for the gear
I just got an Akai S3000i for practically free. It's my second ever akai sampler (1st was the S20 many years ago). Always wanted one of the big samplers as a teenager, when they were still way above my budget.

It has the SCSI card, a total of 3 x 8 mb mem banks (2 of them are Mutec) and the backlight is dead. No filterboard (yet), no rack ears and no HDD. Some push buttons are only responding 50% of the time. Will spend some quality time on that. Now also looking into avaliable options, like the gotek floppy emulator and the scsi2sd stuff. Will take some time to scroll through this thread !
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-s3000i.jpg  
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddHarmonics View Post
I just got an Akai S3000i for practically free.
spares are all over ebay but some of the prices are beyond a joke, sometimes you can be lucky. new display aint a problem. ignore the hdd and go scsi2sd instead.
📝 Reply