The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 12th July 2019
Yeah and you could always dedicate a second monitor to a software sampler (or a number of them, it's free to add just as many as you would like to – a part of what makes software a strong contender for your "go to sampler" choice these days) so I'm not sure I really see the point in that sense.

For my ears Reason sounds decent.

But now, this is an Akai thread so we can keep talking hw, no problem, see this a "kinda related sidetrack".
Old 13th July 2019
[attach]

I am enjoying the S-1000KB as a massive VA in 2019 - using the four standard waveforms in dual mode with slight panning & various tunings and detunings. I think it sounds great & the lack of resonance doesn’t bother me at this point. Lovely machine to just sit & play - like a multi-timbre Alpha Juno of sorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-685a11fc-7b8f-4f6e-8c81-0a06f2309e01.jpg  
Old 13th July 2019
Number of S-1000KB’s imported to Sweden back in the day: Probably... six! ;-) Number of S-1000KB’s used in the world today? Four? ;-)
Old 17th July 2019
Anyone know why EDIT PROG wouldn't select a keygroup based off MIDI input? I'm holding it down but it's not working. S1000 btw.

The same MIDI notes are triggering the keygroups in the program fine.

Last edited by Jesse Skeens; 17th July 2019 at 12:12 PM..
Old 17th July 2019
I think this is something you have to select manually, as you can edit "a" keygroup (any number) or * all * keygroups. Coming back to my S1000KB "programming project" keygroups have been very interesting to perform tricks with, and I've not reached the point of actually wanting to sample anything yet, I'm using it as a giant VA for the moment, building a startup disk which loads in about four seconds and has 15 patches already, and those are actually very interesting sounds. ;-) I've been thinking about why Akai didn't do this themselves in the first place but my answer to that is that subtractive synthesis was so very much out of fashion back then they didn't want anyone to form a perception about the CD quality sampler; they wanted people to dream about what they could do with it. I don't know of course but it's a thought that kind of resonates well with my memories of those days.
Old 17th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
I think this is something you have to select manually, as you can edit "a" keygroup (any number) or * all * keygroups.
Thanks, I've got it as edit single at the moment. Read the manual and no mention of having to enable anything (other than holding that key).

Will give it a go on a blank program.

Just recorded off some patterns from the Atari triggering it through a Culture Vulture. Once assembled in Cubase sounds really good, super tight but groovy and gelled nicely.

Did different versions with coherence off and on and think I prefer with it off, has a nice stereo width on the drums.

If anyone wants to know it looks like the delay caused from coherence on is a flat 3ms, had to trim that much on the three parts I tried it on so seems consistent. Makes sense as a three note chord would take about that long over midi. Wonder how it works with larger chords though. I guess even a 6 note one would go from 6ms off on the last note to only 2ms if it pairs them up in threes.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

S1000 sample coherence off is great for pads.
Old 17th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Will definitely be using it for that too. Need to check if keygroups with only one sample get delayed too, if not then I can just nudge back the stereo ones 3ms and should be bang on.

Want to check how much delay there is with it off as well, will try with a dual mono sample and see how much it's delayed on either side.
Old 17th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
That's cool to know! I tried it but I didn't notice so much, do you know what it does, I mean can you make some example? (Turns out it's off by default so I think I have that setting on just about all sounds this far).
Old 17th July 2019
Quote:
That's cool to know! I tried it but I didn't notice so much, do you know what it does, I mean can you make some example? (Turns out it's off by default so I think I have that setting on just about all sounds this far).
There is a natural delay in processing samples that puts a left and right set in a keygroup slightly out of time from each other.

The manual talks about making sure notes of a chord are all running together too.

That actually is two issues as multiple samples on the same keygroup in different zones (to make stereo) would still be triggered from the same note.

But it seems even the zones in a single group are delayed.

What I'm also not sure of is if even a mono sample across the same keygroup span playing multiple notes benefits from this too.

It looks it works on the 'voice' level. So both multiple notes or multiple zones on the same note (but triggering different voices) get locked together within a small window of time.

Try taking a pad sample and put it on zones 1 and 2 in a keygroup and pan them left and right. Then try it on and off, when it's on you should get a mono sample as both sides will play exactly at the same time, of it's off then the small delay will cause one side of the stereo image to shift.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you sample in stereo, you are meant to have in on in the program later, to preserve the phase relationship/image. But not preserving it is most often more fun, as it seems to do that in a specific, musical way.
Old 18th July 2019
Cool, yes I have noticed slight glitches here and there when the polyphony is maxed out.

I’m seeing the light now of what Akai did with designing the keygroup layout - at first it seems a bit cumbersome and over complicated but it turns out to be an impressive and flexible solution.

I have worked with other samplers too and speaking of hardware, the EPS / ASR was always very straightforward - but with loads more clicking envelope issues than the Akai. I thought I should check out the early Roland machines too so in recent years I had a S-330 but I couldn’t wrap my head around it - but I guess it’s because we are so spoiled with our tools nowadays.

I mean if I’d had it in 1990 I would probably had known it from the inside and out - today I often don’t have the same patience learning the gear as back then.

This has also been true with a couple of previous S-1000s and an S-1100 which also had a S-1100 EX connected via SCSI. Big bulky gear that I just didn’t spend so much time with.

Two S-3000XL machines also was in my studio just to say hello... :-)

Fast forward to 2019 and backwards we go: This particular S-1000KB is suddenly very inspiring to me but I think it’s because it really becomes more of an instrument when it’s self contained with a keyboard.

Nevertheless - great to hear your insight and... yes - I could of course look for a S-5000 or so but for the moment I am absorbed about going back in time to “kind of” experience / get to know what I missed in the early 90’s - when trading all my synths at the time for an EPS 16 Plus; nearly all other samplers were way too expensive to get hold of back then. The S-1000 felt untouchable at it’s price around $4000!

I started out sampling in the late 80’s with the Casio RZ-1 and the Akai S-700 so the fascination was there from the early days of sampling. I even coded in a Sinclair Spectrum sampler extension / software printed in a computer magazine back in 1985 or so but knowing nothing about soldering and circuits (nor coding) I had to obey that idea - BUT - I realized I could almost get samply effects by changing the speed on my dads’ Ibanez analog delay... and changing the speed on our old Sony reel-to-reel machine recording in drum patterns from a rented (!) TR-626.

Well that’s my history lol - and soon I’m 48... but it’s lovely going back to books like The history of house and constantly studying the subject from all angles. I’ve used the NNXT and Kontakt so extremely much the latest 10 years and it’s like a rock guitarist going back to the acoustic roots; a sampler freak goes back to the hardware roots instead. Revisiting that landscape to see if it has more undiscovered holes in the ground!

(I am used to Gb sized libraries too of course but there is something rootsy and right about filling one floppy disc to the max: minimal sounds and just the right sound of the sa-s-s-sampler!)

Realistic strings is not for me - or wrong, I love that as well but not on a sa-sampl-sampler. That’s where I’d use software.

Next question: How do I transfer my S-1000 work to my Korg Triton? No SCSI on this Akai. No floppy on the Triton. Sample dump? The Triton is kind of brain damaged when it comes to samples; you store your patch but you have to load back and reassign the samples after powering down, utterly bad design.

Anyway - back to the Akai okay! ;-)
Old 18th July 2019
Btw I did sample stuff today and it’s almost hilarious but no such thing as normalizing on an Apollo 11 computer I mean early Akai sampler.
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Normalization is for woossies.
Use your ears!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
for me loads , the s6000 is underrated as a workhorse and easily made to sound amazing through a desk , kontakt cant touch it even via the same desk as those akais seem to sum audio in quite a unique way.

The S5000/6000 is interesting as it feels to me like a sweet spot of limitations of memory but also modern workflow and it sums audio in a lovely way with its 16 outputs , into a desk its perfect for mix down and it does have its own sound but yeah i wish the s5000/6000 sounded like the 950 or 1100 or and old Roland but add some outboard and it sounds insane mixing 32 channel of midi via 16 outputs into a desk

what i wonder is dont people wack these akai's through spl enhancers and stuff ? thats when they can sound totally mental.
Agreed. Despite the S6/5000 having a bad rep for not sounding special compared to earlier hardware samplers I've been playing with my S5000 all weekend sampling on the S5000 and then bringing them on to the Mac and converting to ESX24 format with chickensys Translator.

The ESX24 versions often don't sound anything like as good as they do playing out of the S5000 and in to my mixer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
Agreed. Despite the S6/5000 having a bad rep for not sounding special compared to earlier hardware samplers I've been playing with my S5000 all weekend sampling on the S5000 and then bringing them on to the Mac and converting to ESX24 format with chickensys Translator.

The ESX24 versions often don't sound anything like as good as they do playing out of the S5000 and in to my mixer.
Well, the EXS does sort of sound like ****e though.........try and put those same samples in Alchemy instead and see what happens when you compare...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post

Yeah totally agree I’ve a Akai s5000 & s950 here both sound amazing in a different ways..
Old 4 weeks ago
Brand new filter bypass mod for 612:

MIDI Front Panel Animator mod for 612 still proving very popular:

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Talking about OLD Akai. I hate how they changed their logo to that completely generic "modern" wack one they've been using for quite many years now.

How iconic was the classic red serif "AKAI professional" on all that beige-white gear?

vs. this nightmare from the 2000's

I hate when companies do this, in an effort to stay "current" I suppose. Granted, they've tweaked the logo a bit in recent years, but it's still bland.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
60 mk1 was a true beaut
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

60 mk 1 is the best looking mpc ever
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like a cash register
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Looks like a cash register
60 mk2 does look like it lol
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
Talking about OLD Akai. I hate how they changed their logo to that completely generic "modern" wack one they've been using for quite many years now.

How iconic was the classic red serif "AKAI professional" on all that beige-white gear?

I hate when companies do this, in an effort to stay "current" I suppose. Granted, they've tweaked the logo a bit in recent years, but it's still bland.
They did the same with the MPC software, went from the classic grey to black and red. Wish they'd have an option for the classic skin, just doesn't feel right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is the Mk2 a lesser machine? My pusher (sold me the 909 and JP6) has just put a fully serviced one up for sale and I must say I'd love to have one in my studio!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The 60 mk2 gains a headphone out and loses the manually tilt-able display as I recall. Display is fixed into place instead. Not lesser just a slight revamp. Mk 1 looks a bit nicer but headphones is key for some.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Possibly warrants it's own thread, but how do people get and then keep their front panels looking clean without damaging them and the paintwork?

I've purchased a VX90 and it's looking pretty grubby in the photos
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
That ibm powder beigey whatnot is a true 80s survivor. Will take a real scrubbing. My 950 had "gone dark" but I brought it back.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
That ibm powder beigey whatnot is a true 80s survivor. Will take a real scrubbing. My 950 had "gone dark" but I brought it back.
Good to know but what did you use?

I have 2 IBM powder beigey Akais that both need cleaning. It would be nice if they could look the same shade of Akai white again.

I've heard washing detergent works, but be nice to get clarity and know what works on the plastic knobs. Probably work me starting a new thread.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
Good to know but what did you use?

I have 2 IBM powder beigey Akais that both need cleaning. It would be nice if they could look the same shade of Akai white again.

I've heard washing detergent works, but be nice to get clarity and know what works on the plastic knobs. Probably work me starting a new thread.
Was over a decade ago but I'm pretty sure it was washing up liquid (aka dish detergent aka fairy liquid aka simple green) and a toothbrush. Maybe a rag for detailing. Slow n steady. Knobs in net bag in dishwasher.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search