The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
You can buy a Win98 based PC from early 2000's for less than the bandwidth cost of this individual post.
i was reading that akai's mesa 2 software still runs on win7
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
BTW, this is obviously the same loop Royksop used for their "Eple" track.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Ha, I see.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post
For me the 950 sounds great for drums especially when you overdrive the input, 1000/1100 sound great for cleaner, but equally punchy drums..

And as already mentioned, sampling a single note and playing across the whole keyboard sounds really amazing on them.. Remember the 1000/1100s have QUALITY interpolation .. much nicer than the models that came afterwards, as documented here:
The Lost Art Of Sampling

All things considered I'd also recommend the 1000 to the OP.. but try to shop around as 100$ is a bit steep.

Did this shootout recently, covers all the samplers mentioned in the thread..
..Same loop through all of them

I like the [email protected] the most. Has this "street", "hood" sound quality to it which sounds awesome for this loop.
The [email protected] is great too, bass heavy and very raw.
Bags of attitude and sounds familiar, I guess from the endless of records which featured one.

The S1000 is a surprise also. I liked it a lot too. Sounds classic and wild.
The S1100 is a little different, not so heavy sounding to me, but I think the overall difference compared to the S1000 is not that great. Sounds a little brighter and possibly a little "thinner".
The S3200 sounds not so good to me.

Overall I think for this loop the Emax has the edge and for a different (delicious) taste the 950 is a close second.

I also like the Roland S-50 a lot for this type of sounds. It's not so well known or famous like the 950 or the Emax but certainly is very nice for dirtying drums up and surprisingly I love it on dark sounding piano sounds too! A very musical and underrated machine.

Great test!!!
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

When you say the [email protected] do you mean the actual nyquist, and setting the machine at 9600 (which is really half of the true/nyquist which equals 19200), or do you mean setting the machine at 19200 (which would give a real freq of 38,400)..

Btw, to the S950 users, what your favorite freq you set it to? i set mine to 13000 (to make it close to the 26000 on the SP), and sometimes set it to 10000 when I start to run outta time.
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by worm
i was reading that akai's mesa 2 software still runs on win7
Ok - this sounds interesting. And which Adaptec SCSI Contoller runs under Win7 (64bit) and the S1100 together? The most controllers I have find in the web are too fast for S1100 data transfer rate.

If not I try to connect my old PC via NAS to my new PC.

Thanks and thanks to all

Sudad G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudad G View Post
Ok - this sounds interesting. And which Adaptec SCSI Contoller runs under Win7 (64bit) and the S1100 together? The most controllers I have find in the web are too fast for S1100 data transfer rate.
I hope you're not trying to make MESA run the S1100. MESA is designed to work only with XL series of Akai samplers.

While SMDI will only work in Win 98. IMO, you're wasting time with Win7 machine (for these duties).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Btw, to the S950 users, what your favorite freq you set it to? i set mine to 13000 (to make it close to the 26000 on the SP), and sometimes set it to 10000 when I start to run outta time.
I like to get down at 8000 for most of my samplings. for hihats/vocals I leave it at its default 10000
szf
Lives for gear

@living sounds
Thanks for the sp12 version, I added the driven versions to the complete shootout playlist here Sampler Shootout by fromafarawayplace on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

(there are more variations there, I just didn't want to add all of them into this thread)

I also redid the S1100 version... sounds much better now with the +12out setting... and the input driven harder, so matches very closely with the S1000 now (although to me the 1000 still sounds nicer):

MPC2000XL

MPC4000 - 24Bit setting

Personally my fav version in the test is the sp12! then the emax, then the 1000. Find the 950 sounds better with other material.. and low pass filtered
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbath View Post
Not to sidetrack the conversation, but I'm pretty new to these classic samplers and saw an Akai S-900 with 50 floppies worth of samples on my local craigslist going for $175. The seller has had the unit in his smoke-free studio since 1990.

Just from this thread and other examples I have found I think I like the S900 and S950 the most, but saw you guys think the 950 is the way to go. Curious if having that many of the hard to find and pricey floppies for the S900 would sway to getting this unit instead of holding out for a more expensive S950 from ebay? Also how would I test and try out this machine to make sure everything is working properly since I don't have any experience with hardware samplers?

Thank you for your help!
Sounds like an ok price for the US.. but forget the floppies, the drive should be replaced with this: Lotharek`s Lair

If you don't care about the extra RAM potential, and timestretch, grab the 900.
Check if saving/loading floppies works, if not use this to neg. the price down.. Also the backlight is probably faded, cheap to replace.. but again use to bring down the price
Get the seller to sample into it and show you it works, or download the pdf manual so you can test some stuff yourself.
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
So I've been listening to a lot of older deep house and dub techno recently, and I've had a hard time replicating the gritty, deep sound of lots of the chords and pads. Everything I do sounds too shiny and metallic and clangy. Could it be from the converters and 12 bit memory in the samplers from around that time? Anyone here run their gear into something like a s900 to get a grittier sound?
I have a S900 and it;s cool but imo my Ensoniq EPS classic is waaay more flexible, U may wanna try D16 softwares Decimator plug in....imho it is the best at emulating older hardware samplers
Old 16th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Heres a dry machinedrum version.12 bit loaded via midi into the md and tracked out with no eq ect from my hotel room.Motu ultralite soundcard..Download for wav.Interested in comparison.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
What about the FZ-1 guys?
Any users of that and what you think about its sound?...
crappy in a nice way. I like the way the filters distort.
Search for reload, a collection of short stories on YouTube.
Lots of fz1 on it.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Much, much more possibilities, but not the sound of 90's house. Still, I might have to get one of these back too, loved my previous one for many years....get one with sample inputs if you go there, i.e. K2000RS.
Maybe not house, but it almost became the definition of 2nd gen Detroit techno.
Old 17th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing View Post
Maybe not house, but it almost became the definition of 2nd gen Detroit techno.
Oh yeah? Who used the k2000? I've never seen mills, banks et al with one.

Be interesting if what you say is true though.
Lives for gear
Maybe not so much those you mentioned, but Carl Craig and Kenny Larkin for sure used the k2000, and anybody else who could get one to play with.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
Oh yeah? Who used the k2000? I've never seen mills, banks et al with one.
Mike Banks either owned one or had it on loan.There are some slightly tweaked K2000 presets in a few UR records.
Claude Young was using one around 95-96 also.
Carl Craig had a Kurzweil K2xxx at one of the T in the Park gigs he played.
The K2000 was quite a popular machine.
It can sound quite distinctive. Once you get to know it you start noticing how often it's been in recordings.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakLiteOG View Post
I U may wanna try D16 softwares Decimator plug in....imho it is the best at emulating older hardware samplers
This. Combine it with Sonalksis TBK-2 and you have bit reduction covered.
Deleted #8726
ok ok people: Just one drumloop, not proper, judgement from only that piece is just one thing. Hardware samplers have way more to offer like the big headroom, filter options, FX chains and different kind of 'feel and sound' then one another.

I have the Emu 4XT Ultra and the AKAI S5000, with both optional FX cards fitted and I find that the minimum to go IF looking for deep sounding or heavier or whatever you want to read kind of sampler. Both have excellent SCSI interface and great OS.

Anyway.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
This. Combine it with Sonalksis TBK-2 and you have bit reduction covered.
Only it will never sound like an Emax. Or a 950, 1000 or 1100. Or an EPS. Or DSS-1. Or......etc.

Kind of like tweaking an SSL eq plug compared to using the real thing.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

say what would be easier to edit, make programs, general use etc.. s950 or s1000/1100?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
say what would be easier to edit, make programs, general use etc.. s950 or s1000/1100?
S1000/1100. Easiest samplers going.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

To the OP Akai is not for deep, Roland is

Roland samplers = deeper and warmer
Akai samplers = brittle and percussive
Old 18th April 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

The Akai oldies mentioned here are not brittle at all, thats only true for about 3000XL -> latest. But yea, I've heard alot of great things about the rolands, think I remember hearing the midi is not tight enough for drums though, if anyone wants to stick the break from my shootout into their 750/760/770, I'm sure lots of people would love to hear that.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Old Rolands cut the attack off drums, you need to leave a small gap at the start of the sample... they didn't fix it till the XV5080!

I don't have an S550 anymore but some drums and loops clips
Attached Files

CCJ_S550_LoopFiltering2.mp3 (2.37 MB, 1686 views)

CCJ_S550Drums.mp3 (806.7 KB, 1654 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post
The Akai oldies mentioned here are not brittle at all, thats only true for about 3000XL -> latest. But yea, I've heard alot of great things about the rolands, think I remember hearing the midi is not tight enough for drums though, if anyone wants to stick the break from my shootout into their 750/760/770, I'm sure lots of people would love to hear that.
got an s770 here. not had it long. made the mistake of buying 2 bits of gear at the same time and so the 770 sits patiently while i play with the s3200. what would be good for getting the loop to sound best? drive the inputs a bit? sample high and pitch down?
szf
Lives for gear

550 sound good ColJ, nice filter too, thanks for the clips

@worm in my soundcloud demos I slighty clipped the inputs, I did some variations, pitch up, down in sampler like you said.. but only stuck those in the full shootout:
Download fromafarawayplace - Sampler Shootout.zip for free on uploading.com
mirror:
fromafarawayplace - Sampler Shootout.zip

30 wavs in there

[Just Pm'd you the original wav break as requested below]
Lives for gear

any chance of just the raw loop? i'm on a slow connection
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting stuff!

I'm going to start with the Akai and probably pick up a k2000 soon after, but I'll keep my eye out for a cheap roland.

God, I'm going to get addicted, aren't I?
Gear Guru
It's really interesting when you compare the s900 to the s1000. The s900 is much more punchy ... and yes all Akais sound brittle (as do Tascam mixers IMO).. sorta adds to the "punch" I guess.... but I don't find this true with the s612.. which is the biggest/punchiest sounding to me.. but almost too big..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
Maybe not so much those you mentioned, but Carl Craig and Kenny Larkin for sure used the k2000, and anybody else who could get one to play with.
Kenny Larkin was the first thing that came to my mind... oh I still love Yennek "Dancing Tides" so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
dang i just gave myself ensoniq mirage GAS
Seriously.. my friend got one of these for a steal.. with a ton of discs.. I really didn't want to like it cause it's big and clumsy.. and the last thing i need is something that takes floppies... but man does it sound good.
📝 Reply