The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 1st June 2019
Yes - they have really good filters.
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Guru

Wow, amazing sound indeed. Pure beauty. S1000's have such a musical humming to them. Never selling mine.
Old 1st June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
I started early today, keen to experiment with the Akai S-1000 KB a little. This machine currently can't load & save anything so I made three (8 note / 2 samples layered) programs using the four standard waveforms, thank you Akai for including those.

Did you mean this video Karloff? Yeah it sounds ok but anything out there could do this of course. Very basic.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you mean this video Karloff? Yeah it sounds ok but anything out there could do this of course. Very basic.
Well to me it sounds like an early Akai lol.I can only dream that my Live could sound like that.....ultimately!!!

Edit-Just gonna bump this up on this new page-

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the s2800,s3000 ect have a sweepable filter?

Plus im having some trouble with my MPC2000 classic.It started having ram problems.I switch ram around,cleaned and bought some more ram and some times it recognises it and then records but wont play the sample ect but mostly acts strangely making it a 2 mb sampler lol.Thats 10 seconds stereo lo.Which still ok is a bit frustrating.Any idea,s as to whats going on?Considering ive tried 4 sticks of ram singular and double.

Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
Show a video then. That's just using Reason's effects, with some hardware ones would sound even better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

Edit-Just gonna bump this up on this new page-

The S3000 doesnt come with the filter. You need an expansion card for that.
I bought my S3000 without anything but more ram.

My turn to ask a question.

2 Weeks ago I saw someone selling ''larger'' display for the MPC 3000 ( it seems like it was 1/4 inch larger each side). But now I cant find it anymore.

Anyone know who did those display? Are they any good ?

I was a bit confused as I bought another MPC 3000 this weekend and changed the 3.11 eprom for my former 3.5 and when I fired the mpc back up, the backlight was dead. Tried resocketing everything but still no backlight so I bought the LED one from the UK guy on ebay (mpc3000mpc60ledscreens2018)

Would have been nice if the larger display was still available tho.

Other thing I'm looking for are those aluminum bracket ( kind of an Angle bracket ) that screw underneath the MPC 3000 and goes on its side and about 10 inch higher then the display . I saw that once for the AKAI filter hardware ( dont remeber the name ) but I could use those brackets to put my S3000 right on top.

Anyone got a set of those brackets ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Yes there is an extra filter board you can buy but the S series has low pass fiters as standard.But with my MPC2000 the filter does not sweep.Changes when you retrigger the sample.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes there is an extra filter board you can buy but the S series has low pass fiters as standard.But with my MPC2000 the filter does not sweep.Changes when you retrigger the sample.
Im not sure what youre asking.
My S3000 LPF doesnt sweep when I trigger a sample either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I started early today, keen to experiment with the Akai S-1000 KB a little. This machine currently can't load & save anything so I made three (8 note / 2 samples layered) programs using the four standard waveforms, thank you Akai for including those.

wonderful, inspired

almost bought S1000 cpl of times to join my S950. well, its back to classifieds now

ps what did you use for delay and reverb ?

think of all the digital samplers form 90s onwards, Akai S1000/1100 must have the cleanest transposition algorithm. it sounds so musical, like listening to a synthesizer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You said this
Quote:
But the s3000 does come with a filter as standard.

Quote:
Thats what i wanted to know.I passed on the 2800 anyhow.Not a fan of using rack samplers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
You said this

But the s3000 does come with a filter as standard.
All old Akai have a LPF...im not sure what answer you were expecting....

My X7000 has an analog LPF...might be what you're after but i'd take 1 S3000 over 10 X7000 /S700 anytime .

Most of them had an expansion card for extra filter (decent filter , not the built in ), ram, effects, vga mod, scsi expansion.....

S1100 has an above decent reverb.

By the way, you'd need some automation for a filter to sweep and the only way I could see that happening is applying the filter to a decay or attack time so in any ways it would be linked to the length of the sample you are filtering.

The resonance of the built in LPF is also under ****ty in akai samplers.

The S3000 and MPC3000 are not king because of their FX but because of their sound quality and rock solid sequencer.
Anything you put in a s3000 and a MPC 3K just come out ''betterized'' as weird as it may seem...you need to hear it to understand it.

Just like an ASR 10 sound radio compress ready, the MPC 3000 and S3000 will give you a very deep and rich sound like no other sampler does.

Theres something happening in the mid and Low mid....some saturation I guess that make the frequencies pop out and make the sound....comfortable.

If you want filters, dont get a sampler...get a filter hardware. Theres some great one out there. But the akai , ensoniq and E-mu are not part of the ''great filter'' imho.Those are just toy filters. It does the rough job but thats about it.

And yes, thats debatable. some people swear about it but other then the 612 the sp's the dss-1 and the emax, the others just sound thin crisp and lifeless if what you're after are rich filters....and even there, I'd say go with a cheap moog filter and you wont look back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The resonance of the built in LPF is also under ****ty in akai samplers.
Thet might not be the best resonance on the planet but i like to apply it to brighten up my samples in the MPC2000 OG.Works a treat.In fact due to way you can apply different filter settings to each sample really transforms the way the whole thing ends up.The resonace adds to the metallic nature of the 2000 altho not extreme its sweet.I also have the effects card installed which really adds to the sound palate.Some modulation of freqs.Spent a lot of time with the 4000 and Z8 which has a boat load of different filters.Sweepable of course.Ive got the ASRX here atm and altho different from the 10 its got resonance.

Quote:
If you want filters, dont get a sampler...get a filter hardware. Theres some great one out there. But the akai , ensoniq and E-mu are not part of the ''great filter'' imho.Those are just toy filters. It does the rough job but thats about it.
I see your point but a ton of great music has been made using the filters on samplers built in.There part of the overall sound when used well.The important part is to find the sweet spot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I see your point but a ton of great music has been made using the filters on samplers built in.There part of the overall sound when used well.The important part is to find the sweet spot.
Of course, to each their own. Like I said its debatable but I dont do music that require filtering other then very basic obstrusive frequency. And most of the time, the only thing it does is ruin my track by messing with the tonal balance.

Maybe (Highly probable ) your vision of what you want to accomplish differ from mine also.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...advice needed from ye olde hacks:

Is generally speaking Zip drive & disk more reliable/longer lasting than Jaz drive & disk?

Secondly, can a Akai S1000 partition say a 1GB or 2GB Jaz disk? Or can it partition only hard drives?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
...advice needed from ye olde hacks:

Is generally speaking Zip drive & disk more reliable/longer lasting than Jaz drive & disk?

Secondly, can a Akai S1000 partition say a 1GB or 2GB Jaz disk? Or can it partition only hard drives?
Go with a SCSI2SD for safe storage.

I personally dont have any issues with my Floppies because im careful not to put them anywhere near anything with a magnet ( speakers, phone etc.... ) but some people have lost a lot with floppies or zip drive getting corrupted ( sometime a bad batch of diskette. )

Info on partition and size :
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...s.html?page=83
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi
Yeah I read the manual....it says that "it partitions Hardrives" but am wondering if basially it will do the same to Zip or Jaz .....it´s cheaper option at the moment.
SCSI (50pin Centroinics) to SD card don´t turn up often on bay. And they seem very expensive. Anybody got some? :D
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop View Post
Hi
Yeah I read the manual....it says that "it partitions Hardrives" but am wondering if basially it will do the same to Zip or Jaz .....it´s cheaper option at the moment.
SCSI (50pin Centroinics) to SD card don´t turn up often on bay. And they seem very expensive. Anybody got some? :D
Its 100$ USD
https://samplerzone.com/collections/...-plug-in-drive

A box of 10 MF2DD is about 30$ USD.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just sold the 2kxl but I'm keeping 3000!
It's just so lovely sounding..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wonderful, inspired

almost bought S1000 cpl of times to join my S950. well, its back to classifieds now

ps what did you use for delay and reverb ?

think of all the digital samplers form 90s onwards, Akai S1000/1100 must have the cleanest transposition algorithm. it sounds so musical, like listening to a synthesizer.
Thanks a lot! I used the effects inside a famous software package beginning with R! This thread reminds me to check my snail mailbox today because I'm waiting for a floppydrive so I can start using the machine more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I just sold the 2kxl but I'm keeping 3000!
It's just so lovely sounding..
I did exactly the same.

Your LE is magnificent by the way. Mine is an OG.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I just published a video of a track I made using the Akai AX-73. Drum sounds, bass, strings, this baby does it all.

https://youtu.be/4_FOsZdQ1RY

Monster synth as long as you don’t mind a lot of scrolling through the menu endlessly. . .
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceUnicorn View Post
I just published a video of a track I made using the Akai AX-73. Drum sounds, bass, strings, this baby does it all.

https://youtu.be/4_FOsZdQ1RY

Monster synth as long as you don’t mind a lot of scrolling through the menu endlessly. . .
Awesome man.Love that Jazzy 70s/80's vibe.Passed on an AX73 a couple of weeks ago being sold cheapish locally.Normally would have jumped on it but the menu diving thought put me off
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
The S3000 comes with a filter. A very sweet one if i may add. You don't need an expansion card for that. Details of the filter are in the user manual page 96.

And on top of that, it sweeps just as nicely as any other filter:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3000xl-pad.mp3

Quote:
Pardon my crappy demo, but we can clearly hear S3000XL can sweep both LPF sounds open and close, all real time:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...kais3000xl.mp3

I don't know the origin of myth that S3000 does not sweep the filter. Maybe KVR?

To further prove, here is a loop AFTER the sample has been triggered, with full manual filter control via front panel,:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...0xl-lowend.wav
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
The S3000 comes with a filter. A very sweet one if i may add. You don't need an expansion card for that. Details of the filter are in the user manual page 96.

And on top of that, it sweeps just as nicely as any other filter:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...3000xl-pad.mp3

Pardon my crappy demo, but we can clearly hear S3000XL can sweep both LPF sounds open and close, all real time:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...kais3000xl.mp3

I don't know the origin of myth that S3000 does not sweep the filter. Maybe KVR?

To further prove, here is a loop AFTER the sample has been triggered, with full manual filter control via front panel,:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...0xl-lowend.wav

You go ahead and show me how to make the filter sweep by itself .

The filter in the S3000 is as disgusting as it could possible me.

Or maybe you just never heard a sweet analog filter and this is your standard of quality.

I have also found a way to get a one step stutter with my S3000.

You play a sample and in the middle, while it play, you shut it off real quick....
there, you have it, one step stutter effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread-image_3480_0.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I currently use mpc 60 mk1, s612, s3200xl.
I have had and used mpc 3000s and s950 before.

mpc 60 vs mpc 3000

soundwise, both are great and it's just preference of 12 bit or 16 bit.
i just like 60 better because it looks better cosmetically than 3000

s612

i wish i had this sooner. this is so easy and straight forward sampler to use.
great 12 bit sound. more sampling time and ability to save patch easily would have been nicer but can live with it. I wish someone develop disk emulator for it.

s3200xl

bread and butter sampler. it has just typical akai sound. these days, i get feeling that i want to try out s1100 one day.

s950

many people praise it. my experience wasn't that great i guess. I felt it's too bright for my taste. I like 60 better than 950.
maybe I used s950 in a wrong way, i don't know. If I got a chance, I'd like to try it out one more time.

overall I like in this order

mpc 60, mpc 3000 = s612, s3200xl, s950
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
I currently use mpc 60 mk1, s612, s3200xl.
I have had and used mpc 3000s and s950 before.

mpc 60 vs mpc 3000

soundwise, both are great and it's just preference of 12 bit or 16 bit.
i just like 60 better because it looks better cosmetically than 3000

s612

i wish i had this sooner. this is so easy and straight forward sampler to use.
great 12 bit sound. more sampling time and ability to save patch easily would have been nicer but can live with it. I wish someone develop disk emulator for it.

s3200xl

bread and butter sampler. it has just typical akai sound. these days, i get feeling that i want to try out s1100 one day.

s950

many people praise it. my experience wasn't that great i guess. I felt it's too bright for my taste. I like 60 better than 950.
maybe I used s950 in a wrong way, i don't know. If I got a chance, I'd like to try it out one more time.

overall I like in this order

mpc 60, mpc 3000 = s612, s3200xl, s950
I've never used a 60 MK1 side by side with a 3000.

How would you compare the MK1 vs the 3000 ?

What stood out ?

I remember listening to my 2KXL and my 3000 a few years ago and thought the 2KXL was so very harsch sounding on the Mid High freq region. , Like some sort of saturation in that freq range where the 3000 would do the same but in the mid low section which would make it sound heavier but also creamier if that make any sense.

So I wonder how the 12 bit of the MK1 sound in comparison to the 3000.

I dont remember it being harsch at all but what I remember is the top end being narrower or more closed in the MK1.

Whats you observation ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
You go ahead and show me how to make the filter sweep by itself .
Show you how? It is already explained in the user manual how to manipulate filter. I also demonstrated with two audio files the filter opening and closing. Bottom line: it is possible to sweep the filter.

Quote:
The S3000 doesnt come with the filter. You need an expansion card for that
Or maybe you just never heard a sweet analog filter and this is your standard of quality.
Ok... now this is a little bit confusing to read. First you claim S3000 doesn't have a filter, and now you claim it sounds disgusting.

Quote:
You play a sample and in the middle, while it play, you shut it off real quick....there, you have it, one step stutter effect.
Look, this was a nice thread about Akai samplers. If your goal is just to troll, or be rude, i kindly advise you be a good sport and stop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Show you how? It is already explained in the user manual how to manipulate filter. I also demonstrated with two audio files the filter opening and closing. Bottom line: it is possible to sweep the filter.

Ok... now this is a little bit confusing to read. First you claim S3000 doesn't have a filter, and now you claim it sounds disgusting.

Look, this was a nice thread about Akai samplers. If your goal is just to troll, or be rude, i kindly advise you be a good sport and stop.
While you think I might need to read the manual, you might want to give a read to this thread and figure out where it went south.

Now , as you might not want to read the whole thread, when someone is looking for an EQ, I ( wrongly ) assume he is not looking for a one band boost with fix frequency just like I'm assuming someone with a need for a filter on a hardware sampler is not looking for a Lo-Fi LPF that is questionably one of the worst sounding digital LPF filter, especially because Akai themselves created an expansion card for more decent filtering options.

The point you came back with were already addressed with the other user and I'm wondering what was your point on repeating the same information if it was to be a ''good sport'' yourself.

Again, everybody was getting along just fine until you chime in.

The tone I used might or might not be rude depending on the victimasation you seem to be facing in regard of the consequent interjection you provided for absolutely no reason, again, as it was already addressed.....and I might also play the one with feelings hurt but I wont...there's more interesting read and debate to have here and its a game im not whiling to play.

On a side note, the hardware samplers without LPF from that era might be far more rare then the one with basic ''obvious anti aliasing'' made LPF.

All the best and happy sampling.

EDIT : On a side note, theres no way a S3000 will automate a filter by itself other then if you connect another hardware through it and automate it with midi . Look up what he said about his 2K and you will be able to not misquote me or understand the point of the answer. The S3000 filter will only change its freq on the restart of the next sample triggered. This is not a sweepable Filter, its a fixed parameter pass filter changeable at sample retriggered. In other word, if you play a 8 sec long sample ( for example ) and go from 0 to 100 on a 8 sec sweep on the freq parameter, the S3000 will not sweep but be at his starting position when the sample was triggered. And by the way, I'm all ears to learn how to program the automation of the filter so it sweep while I'm doing other task when I compose.

Last edited by Martel80; 2 weeks ago at 04:07 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
While you think I might need to read the manual, you might want to give a read to this thread and figure out where it went south.
Well, perhaps i should be a good sport and tell you i have been reading and posting to this thread since 2012. So i pretty much know what's inside.

Quote:
The point you came back with were already addressed
I addressed the claim that S3000 can not sweep its filter. And i posted audios proving that it can. And i am sure this was not addressed earlier in this thread, but i might be wrong. So feel free to correct me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Well, perhaps i should be a good sport and tell you i have been reading and posting to this thread since 2012. So i pretty much know what's inside.

I addressed the claim that S3000 can not sweep its filter. And i posted audios proving that it can. And i am sure this was not addressed earlier in this thread, but i might be wrong. So feel free to correct me.
Then read again, He was talking about the S3000 and the information were clarified.

I'm not here to argue, you're posting audio of a S3000XL , not showing how it can sweep when a Sample is triggered in a S3000 ( Not XL....the one without the multimbral parameter, the MPC 3000 sampling engine...not the 2000 engine with upgraded OS ( aka XL ). )

I can post an audio sample named S3000 Autopaning a sound if you'd like but that wont show you how it is possible.

I'm simply offering you the opportunity to prove a point you're trying to make yourself without reading the question before misquoting me Don Solaris. No one is being rude with you, I'm simply opening a door for you to prove your point.

Take a S3000 ( Not XL ) and make it sweep by itself on a crappy cellphone video and show us how you do that. If its feasable, it should take you about 2 minute and you will teach all S3000 ( not xl ) users how an S3000 ( not xl ) can sweep the LPF by itself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search