The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Old Akais are sexy - the ultimate Akai thread
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I have this distant memory of reading somewhere that the S950 has an analogue filter? or filters (per voice).......is that a little known 'fact' or internet fiction? nice to know as I picked one up for 35 GBP a while back
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I've read that too... I think the fact is pretty legit and someone took it apart. It sure sounds analog to me honestly. Pretty darn rough and warm. (I've used an FF, Miniworks, Peavey Spectrum, MF101).
Old 21st March 2012
Ohx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatski View Post
all the akais sound deep to me except the s3000xl onwards. I have many cream beasts and the one I will never part with is my fully expanded s950, it's such a ****ing beast! whatever I put into it comes out gold, chunky and fat. no lie.
I feel similar, but for the Emax SE, it's the sampler I use the most out of the 3 I have!
Old 21st March 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips View Post
internet fiction
The S612, S700, and X7000 have a non-resonant analog filter per voice. The S900 and above have digital filters.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

S900/S950 have analog filters (variable capacitance), S1000 onwards not.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szf View Post
For me the 950 sounds great for drums especially when you overdrive the input, 1000/1100 sound great for cleaner, but equally punchy drums..

And as already mentioned, sampling a single note and playing across the whole keyboard sounds really amazing on them.. Remember the 1000/1100s have QUALITY interpolation .. much nicer than the models that came afterwards, as documented here:
The Lost Art Of Sampling

All things considered I'd also recommend the 1000 to the OP.. but try to shop around as 100$ is a bit steep.

Did this shootout recently, covers all the samplers mentioned in the thread..
..Same loop through all of them

Sounds great! And what sample is this? Could you upload it somewhere in an uncompressed format (even the Soundcload wav-file looks to be compressed), I'd like to use it to test my SP12 Turbo with it. ;-)
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I was looking for a sampler so I can create better OTB drum tracks as my drum machines lack individual outs. I found an S2000 but it doesn't have the individual outputs installed. Where would you find the expansion to add them?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Sounds great! And what sample is this? Could you upload it somewhere in an uncompressed format (even the Soundcload wav-file looks to be compressed), I'd like to use it to test my SP12 Turbo with it. ;-)
ODB - Got your money
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

interesting. szf, do you have any opinions on the filter differences between the 900/950s and 1000/1100s?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I actually finished up a song just today (shameless plug, lol) made with almost all S950 and MPC60 samples:

S950: vinyl loops, resampled chords, all hats, fx
MPC60: all drums and percussions

Raw-synths only used for the 2 bass parts (Juno60 and TX81Z), everything else is all Akai sampler power
Old 21st March 2012
Ohx
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I actually finished up a song just today (shameless plug, lol) made with almost all S950 and MPC60 samples:

Raw-synths only used for the 2 bass parts (Juno60 and TX81Z), everything else is all Akai sampler power
Do you have it somewhere better quality than YouTube to check it out at?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I was looking for a sampler so I can create better OTB drum tracks as my drum machines lack individual outs. I found an S2000 but it doesn't have the individual outputs installed. Where would you find the expansion to add them?
Obviously it's no longer being sold new. The only place to find it would be Ebay. But I can't imagine too many people have been holding onto uninstalled cards for the past 10-15 years. These types of samplers are so cheap, that you might as well just find another one on ebay with the expansion card installed.
Old 21st March 2012
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
interesting. szf, do you have any opinions on the filter differences between the 900/950s and 1000/1100s?
All I know is that the 1000/1100 have really nice filters... but they don't give you the same bass-heavy grungy effect like on the 950 (never used a 900)
If you want your drums/bass to cut through the mix without any/much eq'ing .. using a 950 works great!
I use mine alongside my 1100/1000 ... I usually use a combination of grungy/dirty/clean sounds and no prefer to use the right sampler/internal filtering than reach for any eq.

Anyway here is a snippet from an unfinished remix, the 'Aliciya Angel' vocal sampled into a S1100 with an internal effect used, some delay.. I think I tweaked with the cutoff while recording..

Filter sounds pretty cool for a digital! Effects are gorgeous, and I vowed to never use digital effects.. (before getting the 1100)

Old 21st March 2012
szf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pls use the wav (that is the original uncompressed version) from soundcloud and share the result! The original drumloop is lofi to begin with.
If anyone is interested I also can stick the drumloop though an mpc2k and mpc4k
(We both know the sp12 will give the best result! I have one, but did not put the loop though it as I already know it will kill)
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Love it!

Serious GAS flaring up.

Must ... pay ... bills ... first ....
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Do yourself a favour and if you want that sound, just find an S3200 or even a non xl S3000. More options (S3200), and much more importantly MUCH better user interface. The samplers with two grey dials and two rows of buttons under the screen are a dram to operate once you have the vibe nailed. Like a typewriter. Just waking up my typewriter chops on this here S1000.....thanks szf!!! hehheh
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only rarely hear music in here that sounds like something I'd actually buy. Nice vibes.

Edit - regarding the Akai S2000: Put that thing out of its misery, it was an abortion to begin with. Sell it for scrap metal and get something that's not the electronic instrument equivalent of a deaf-mute person with no arms and legs. 6000 samples all called RINE, TINE, and PINE; Akai, I want that year of my life back.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a few Akais and I think even the S3000XL is worth having, it's got a sensible multi-mode, decent modulation, res filters, uses cheap standard memory and still has the Akai 'hard' sound. It doesn't sound quite as good as the S1000/S1100 but it's still good, just different. Chalk and cheese soundwise with an Emu or your computer.
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I've got a few Akais and I think even the S3000XL is worth having, it's got a sensible multi-mode, decent modulation, res filters, uses cheap standard memory and still has the Akai 'hard' sound. It doesn't sound quite as good as the S1000/S1100 but it's still good, just different. Chalk and cheese soundwise with an Emu or your computer.
All true, just not as nice a typewriter feel as the previous two dialled S3200/3000.....and since price is a non issue today.....

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 21st March 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
S900/S950 have analog filters (variable capacitance), S1000 onwards not.
I stand corrected. They use the MF6CN-50 chip, same as the S612/S700/X7000
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

nice sound, although i think the tape has a lot to do with it, whats your recording chain?

Quote:
All I know is that the 1000/1100 have really nice filters... but they don't give you the same bass-heavy grungy effect like on the 950 (never used a 900)
If you want your drums/bass to cut through the mix without any/much eq'ing .. using a 950 works great!
I use mine alongside my 1100/1000 ... I usually use a combination of grungy/dirty/clean sounds and no prefer to use the right sampler/internal filtering than reach for any eq.

Anyway here is a snippet from an unfinished remix, the 'Aliciya Angel' vocal sampled into a S1100 with an internal effect used, some delay.. I think I tweaked with the cutoff while recording..

Filter sounds pretty cool for a digital! Effects are gorgeous, and I vowed to never use digital effects.. (before getting the 1100)

really like that delay, it's all S1100? what other effects are in there? (hard to find much info on this sampler)

mpc3K has a built-in delay but its rarely mentioned, thoughts anyone?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
I stand corrected. They use the MF6CN-50 chip, same as the S612/S700/X7000
but its a 36 db filter what makes it so suitable for bass sounds
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

another great feature of the 950 is the sine wave test tone, with that filter makes a great sub machine
Old 21st March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
Yeah, I might try and get both. $300 for the k2000s, and $100ish for an s900-s1100

DAMN IT, I was supposed to be downsizing in my little bedroom studio!
yeah in some ways these things can take up more space than the damned keyboards sheesh. I have the akai s1100 and ex with an scsi and they take up a lot of rack space from the floor up.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
yeah in some ways these things can take up more space than the damned keyboards sheesh. I have the akai s1100 and ex with an scsi and they take up a lot of rack space from the floor up.
Another bonus with the S3000XL, 2U!
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohx View Post
Do you have it somewhere better quality than YouTube to check it out at?
Here ya go..hmm, sounds kinda the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
nice sound, although i think the tape has a lot to do with it, whats your recording chain?
Tape has just a little to do with it, but not too much honestly. All the tape does is glue it a bit, and adds certain color to all the layers and entire mixbus; but doesn't really change the character or timbre of the sound or akai sound. The tape recording is actually somewhat transparent, Otari 5050, 1/4" 2-track running at 15ips, and it doesn't really change the actual sound. Not much on my Chain, just a simple Mackie 1604vlz, mix-out to Otari, running a little hot, maybe +6-7db, nothing really in between this chain. Then I recorded the tape master to laptop, from Otari, to Presonus Firebox, to Audacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post
Only rarely hear music in here that sounds like something I'd actually buy. Nice vibes.
Awesome! Glad you dig it and nice to hear I'm on the right track and making decent jams! :D
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 View Post

Edit - regarding the Akai S2000: Put that thing out of its misery, it was an abortion to begin with. Sell it for scrap metal and get something that's not the electronic instrument equivalent of a deaf-mute person with no arms and legs. 6000 samples all called RINE, TINE, and PINE; Akai, I want that year of my life back.
:( I like the s2000, sure you have to go back to page1 of program edit because you never know which program you're editing because of lack of display, and the naming samples/programs with the A-Z dial is a bitch but I still like its sound, plus the outer dial for the keygroups is kinda genius.
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Xanax
really like that delay, it's all S1100? what other effects are in there? (hard to find much info on this sampler)
The effect processor of S-1100 offers also some reverbs (20 presets), like rooms, plates etc., then a 4-voice/delay lines chorus & flanger (10 presets) and a pitch shifter with a range over 50 semitones in +/- 1 cent steps.

The reverbs and chorus programs are ok but not the strength of the S-1100, but its delay sounds very cool, because it allows you to simulate a little bit these old Roland Space Echo delay effects. The delay is the highlite of the S-1100 effects and also great on vocals. It's even usable in professional enviroment.

The S-1100 has 32MB of sampling memory with 24-bit internal processing! Also on-board is a SCSI interface, the digital effects, AES/EBU digital output, SMPTE reader/gen, and optional hard-disk recording available at software vers. 2.03 (the latest version was 4.3).

For HD-recording have a look to HD Recording With The Akai S1100 Sampler

I love my S-1100 even today for percussion, drums and some guitar sounds. It is clean and neutral, but gives the sounds this extra warm midrange boost, that I miss on softsamplers and that is important for house style music.

In my opinion the S-1100 has the best A/D and D/A converters of all AKAI's beside the S-5000/6000 series. The 2800/3000/3200 sound thin and lifeless compared to S-1000/1100.

The S-1000 has no normalize function and sounds sometimes not 100% like the S-1100, but like the S-1100 almost better then the 3000 series. The S-950 is also great if you like more coloured sound and more punch and if Mono sampling is no problem for you. The S-1100 is a cool production machine and hard to beat in sound quality by todays softsamplers.

For analog sounding chords, stabs and leads I would recommand more the old Emu's, Ensoniq EPS, Roland S-750/770, Kurzweil K2000 and Korg DSS-1 or old Prophet 2002+.

Sudad G
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
For me the 950 sounds great for drums especially when you overdrive the input, 1000/1100 sound great for cleaner, but equally punchy drums..

And as already mentioned, sampling a single note and playing across the whole keyboard sounds really amazing on them.. Remember the 1000/1100s have QUALITY interpolation .. much nicer than the models that came afterwards, as documented here:
The Lost Art Of Sampling

All things considered I'd also recommend the 1000 to the OP.. but try to shop around as 100$ is a bit steep.

Did this shootout recently, covers all the samplers mentioned in the thread..
..Same loop through all of them

Nice! ...is it me, or does the S950 sounds the best? To me it even sounds better than the famous Emu Emax (similar to the Sp).. it surely has a gritty 12-bit sound to it, but at the same time not losing and actually has the best bass response and capture and cut through punch.
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

It was nice to hear the s1000 v s1100 comparison but sadly I don't beleive there even is a difference ??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search