The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Women & Synths Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear addict

Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Without wishing to give too much commentary on the male bias inherent in the opening sentence, I'd like to point out that the 'we' you refer to (presumably readers of this forum) already contain females. I don't think that there is much argument that gear geekery is a largely male 'thing', so this can be forgiven.

Also, musical integrity and exploration is much 'hotter' than musical masturbation or phallic instrument titillation, neither of which is really very hot at all IME.
i completely agree. i really wasn't inferring anything sexual to begin with, although i guess the word 'hot' does that sometimes. i am very turned on by a woman's musical or overall intellectual capability more than anything. not very enthusiastic about the more shallow examples like a skimpy dressed chick making a suggestive face expression while riding a key tar.

glad you pointed it out! not sure if this counts as on topic as this time, it's me on a nord lead and a girl on violin. a violin is considered "gear" right? those things cost more than most high end stuff we're into.

anyway, legend of zelda ocarina of time, lost woods (saria's song)!

Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
a violin is considered "gear" right? those things cost more than most high end stuff we're into.
well, violins start at 50,- €uros new ...
if you didnt know, could you tell if this is a 50,-, 500.- , 5000.- or 5 000 000,- violin ?
could she tell ? seriously ?

I am aware that there a objective pecularities with expensive violins that can be both heard and measured, like a distinct spectrum, etc
but there is no fundamental reason a cheaply mass manufactured violin couldn't sound like an expensive one and even better
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
well, violins start at 50,- €uros new ...
if you didnt know, could you tell if this is a 50,-, 500.- , 5000.- or 5 000 000,- violin ?
could she tell ? seriously ?

I am aware that there a objective pecularities with expensive violins that can be both heard and measured, like a distinct spectrum, etc
but there is no fundamental reason a cheaply mass manufactured violin couldn't sound like an expensive one and even better
yes you can tell. just like you can tell the difference between a digital and analog synth or tell apart a .wav/.aiff file compared to a 128kbps mp3. once violins reach the $20,000 to $30,000 range, it gets harder for me, personally, to tell the difference between that and a $1,000,000 stradivarius violin. but that, too, is a very niche field which requires a lot of knowledge and sensitive ears (not mentioning the quality of wood, its age, and sentiment). i think any average listener would be able to tell the difference in sound of a $5,000 and a $40,000 violin.

yes you can get a $50 violin. you can also get a yamaha psr, too… still a keyboard.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think any average listener would be able to tell the difference in sound of a $5,000 and a $40,000 violin.
thats what I doubt
well, can you ?
I sort of inherited a violin and it was estimated by different experts very differently
the difference was less than 10k but still what I'd call order of magnitude

I think the whole market is distorted by the Stradivarius phenomenon.
Cause it does not cost you 40.000 to build a handcrafted individual instrument
The amount of labour and material and knowledge doesnt qualify for such a price.
And a violin doesn't get better cause it's older. Even wine doesnt just get better with age.

What we are seeing here is the same we are seeing in the "audiophile" niche where people
pay 100.000 for a stereo amp. Plus cables.

For instance, we have much more obvious differences in piano tones. Especially in historic ones.
Yet, there is no Stradivarius of pianos, hence there are not these differences.
What we have there is that antiques are expensive, to some extend. But this scales with "antiqueness"
not with timbre. These are not considered the peak in piano quality. Far from it.
In fact the Piano market is totally ruled by Steinbergs and Yamahas. what an irony.
People are not ashamed to play these in fromt of really large audiences. Even though these are the ugliest
sounding instruments you can buy for money.

But this is getting OT, sorry about that
could be interesting as a topic of its own. I'd say one last reply from you if you're in the mood and then we either stop it or ask then forum polizei to seperate that into a thread of it's own in case thers still s.th to discuss
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

if people are willing to pay the price it is by definition worth more

sounds better is alway a personal call

in acoustic guitars i think you can hear a major difference for about every 400-600 you spend if you know what to listen for
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
once violins reach the $20,000 to $30,000 range, it gets harder for me, personally, to tell the difference between that and a $1,000,000 stradivarius violin. but that, too, is a very niche field which requires a lot of knowledge and sensitive ears (not mentioning the quality of wood, its age, and sentiment). i think any average listener would be able to tell the difference in sound of a $5,000 and a $40,000 violin.
Turns out that professional violinists can't identify a Stradivarius in a double-blind test.

Double-Blind Violin Test
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
Turns out that professional violinists can't identify a Stradivarius in a double-blind test.

Double-Blind Violin Test
Oh just read it's Claudia Fritz
she is really into this specific research topic, I've read one or two of her papers before, even used research material she posted somewhere

she basically explores what the quality of Stardivarius etc violins is
so form a sexist kind of view we are kind of back on topic again
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

My lady plays and owns a Nord Wave, does that count?
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
thats what I doubt
well, can you ?
I sort of inherited a violin and it was estimated by different experts very differently
the difference was less than 10k but still what I'd call order of magnitude

I think the whole market is distorted by the Stradivarius phenomenon.
Cause it does not cost you 40.000 to build a handcrafted individual instrument
The amount of labour and material and knowledge doesnt qualify for such a price.
And a violin doesn't get better cause it's older. Even wine doesnt just get better with age.

What we are seeing here is the same we are seeing in the "audiophile" niche where people
pay 100.000 for a stereo amp. Plus cables.

For instance, we have much more obvious differences in piano tones. Especially in historic ones.
Yet, there is no Stradivarius of pianos, hence there are not these differences.
What we have there is that antiques are expensive, to some extend. But this scales with "antiqueness"
not with timbre. These are not considered the peak in piano quality. Far from it.
In fact the Piano market is totally ruled by Steinbergs and Yamahas. what an irony.
People are not ashamed to play these in fromt of really large audiences. Even though these are the ugliest
sounding instruments you can buy for money.

But this is getting OT, sorry about that
could be interesting as a topic of its own. I'd say one last reply from you if you're in the mood and then we either stop it or ask then forum polizei to seperate that into a thread of it's own in case thers still s.th to discuss
you make a lot of fantastic points and i actually agree with you on most, if not all parts. my statement about the 5k compared to 40k is from my experience during music school and hanging out with some string players and hearing their individual instruments (along with instructors). the whole antiqueness and rarity multiply it's objective value so much that it's sort of a joke sometimes. there are better sounding violins than others, though… at what price this gets pointless or indiscernible is currently beyond me. i certainly wouldn't mind a whole thread on this as you well put, there is a lot of "sith" to discuss.

here's a very cheap, quick, and arguably tasteless fix back on topic:

Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Suit View Post
My lady plays and owns a Nord Wave, does that count?
pictures or it didnt happen
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
+1

Quote:
In fact the Piano market is totally ruled by Steinbergs and Yamahas.
you mean Steinway, right?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
you mean Steinway, right?
LOL, of course I ment Steinway but people are playing Steinberg Steinway samples on stage so it doesnt really matter
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm not one to say what you should and shouldn't like... but in response to that vid I left here, a lot of you seem to say "too technical" as if that automatically writes off musicality. OK the vid I left was intentionally technical, but Hiromi is very musical (as can be heard on her albums. Remember live performances are about entertainment too.... and she is musical in many of them besides).

But mainly what I want to say is that it's erroneous that technique combats musicality. I reckon that's a common meme amongst musicians who aren't so technical (and I can say that because I'm not). If you stifle your jealous urge you can actually feel the musicality a bit better and have some real admiration.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

You guys are easy. It's not enough to be young, attractive, and into gear.

They got to be GOOD. And even then... it's less than a standard that I hold myself to.
Old 4th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
You guys are easy. It's not enough to be young, attractive, and into gear.

They got to be GOOD. And even then... it's less than a standard that I hold myself to.
But I noticed you have no suggestions to add. I realize women's brains just aren't wired for this sort of thing. Something that I think we all already know, because the proof is in the pudding....
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

it's as simple as this. men are way more into gear than women. when a female is even remotely into it, it's awesome.. to me at least.

as far as musicians are concerned, i find it's a balanced 50/50.. although we have more typically masculine instruments like bass (electric or acoustic), it's refreshing to see a girl handle it.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I think a leading reason why girls don't appear to be into gear is "horny boffins." Eugh.
Old 4th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Suit View Post
I think a leading reason why girls don't appear to be into gear is "horny boffins." Eugh.
I'm a good looking guy. Hell, if I was a chick I'd already be a millionaire by now.

Look what a simple bass player can do if you're female:

Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Cannot go past Hiromi.

Tell me this is not hot.

She kind of reminds me of a young Eddie Van Halen if he'd been a woman and a keyboard player and into prog rock ******y instead of basic rock ******y.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
But I noticed you have no suggestions to add.

I don't know how much she does herself vs. co-producers...
but she's got skills regardless.

And I'm not sure if she had anything to do with the electronic
elements of 99.9F, but man... I need a TARDIS to 1992.

I'm just saying I don't objectify women. So, I judge them on
an equal playing field artistically without any "handicaps" based
on gender at all. Got to be good.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
She kind of reminds me of a young Eddie Van Halen if he'd been a woman and a keyboard player and into prog rock ******y instead of basic rock ******y.
He he he. I like him too. :-)

Let's not forget Bjork. She doesn't do much synth playing as far as I know, but definitely a pioneer in electrickery.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Let's not forget Bjork. She doesn't do much synth playing as far as I know, but definitely a pioneer in electrickery.
speaking of bjork.. the only known artist to use an AX80 on a record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
but her composition style, harmonies, and constant over the top breaks are just boring overkill wankage fest. un-musical butchery concentrated on "look what i can do" and "how fast i can do it". no emotion or beauty.
she's capable of "emotion" and "musicality". like i said, it shows more in her studio works and the technique.. or showmanship if you will.. is much more forgivable live. after all, she is performing shows.

here's a wonderful example of her emotional playing:

Old 4th March 2012

This is really not my usual thing but I was having an "ambient" saturday night in while no one was home.
Oh yes and Kate Bush to infinity.. one of my very favorite song writers of all time really...esp hounds of love.

Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

Andrea Parker began with a classical cello training at the age of 16, then started DJ-ing and then eventually started producing own stuff, mainly electronical but later also using her great voice, such as in "return of the rocking chair". In 1998, she had been asked to do her own DJ Kicks-mix album at Studio-K7 , throwing down everything from Depeche Mode to Dr. Octagon and displaying her affection for electro, hip hop and techno. In 1999 she released her debut album "Kiss my Arp" (due to the synthisizer called Arp 2600, which she used to produce her album).

Andrea Parker | Trip Hop Music
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
This is really not my usual thing but I was having an "ambient" saturday night in while no one was home.
Nice vibe. What was the Monomachine doing?
Old 4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post

I don't know how much she does herself vs. co-producers...
but she's got skills regardless.

Mrs alien has boys doing it for her... shes just a dj...

thats a real producing girl.. Dinky

Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Wendy Carlos! The ..."chick" who has started it all...
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search