The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Com Truise - Karova High Hat, How do you get it? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru
it doesn't sound all that bitcrushed to me.. at all.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
youre welcome, there are plenty of lo-fi plugins that bitcrush / compress etc, also tape emulation plugs... good reverb is also important.. i am curious though why you would want to emulate so closely another artists signature sound?
It's not so much that I wan't to copy him. When I hear things I don't know how to do, I like learning how they are done so I can use that knowledge to better my abilities. It's all a learning process, no copycatting for me heh
Old 3rd March 2012
see if you can find some DMX or Lindrum packs which have round robin sampling (multiple hits of the same sample)...then use some saturation and compression plugins. Perhaps the UBK1 if you can afford it - but something like the Ensoniq DP2 would be a similar price...

Look at the SKnote plugins - the Cuttertone, GTS and upcoming Grasso...
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Guru
Just get some DX, DMX, Linn and Sequential drum samples..

Mix & match and go to town.

Sometimes these "how do I sound like Boards of Canada" threads make me scratch my head... I can't NOT make my gear sound like these artists... thats my problem.
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
it doesn't sound all that bitcrushed to me.. at all.
again almost impossible to hear on the yt vid but check out the fairlight track on itunes you can clearly hear bitcrushing applied on every second half-bar of the bassline (simple but clever effect). many other examples throughout the album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkamist View Post
It's not so much that I wan't to copy him. When I hear things I don't know how to do, I like learning how they are done so I can use that knowledge to better my abilities. It's all a learning process, no copycatting for me heh
no problem, i learn things in a similar way.. you can learn a lot just by listening attentively to music
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
see if you can find some DMX or Lindrum packs which have round robin sampling (multiple hits of the same sample)...then use some saturation and compression plugins. Perhaps the UBK1 if you can afford it - but something like the Ensoniq DP2 would be a similar price...

Look at the SKnote plugins - the Cuttertone, GTS and upcoming Grasso...
Those sound pretty sweet, and they're so cheap! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give those a spin
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone know where to get or want to share, free Obie DMX/DX and/or Linn 1 samples... I have Linn2 and every other roland and many other drum machine samples except the darn DMX/DX/Linn1.

I remember there was a really nice thread started, with a bunch of free samples of all the vintage drum machines (roland, yamaha, etc.)..can't seem to find it anymore though...
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

^^ google is your friend

beware though sample packs even from a digital drum machine will usually not sound as good as on the vintage units. there are analog components in a lot of the circuitry of these old drum machines (internal mixer,outputs, sometimes even analog filters) as well as idiosyncrasies that are unique to each like specific tuning algorithms (which is why round robin samples is important) not to mention the archaic sequencers that give a particular groove or slop. of course this might sound like nitpicking to some, but often its what makes the difference (i know i always get frustrated with these sample packs)
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Good stuff... not really all that great "music" though IMO.
C+ goes thru the motions, kinda like most of the music I like actually.. but I'll pass on this one.
Have to agree on this score, his own material has that problem: sound like backing tracks that need lead melodies and/or vocalists to complete them. CT is a superb producer, but rather lacking as a composer.

However, he has done remixes for Twin Shadow, Locussolus, and Neon Indian (plus others) that are EXCELLENT. He should team up with a composer or songwriter and produce them in precisely this style.

Mopho + SQ8L + Oberheim DX drums layered with other 80s drum kits + careful compression techniques could get you quite far towards his sound I reckon.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Have to agree on this score, his own material has that problem: sound like backing tracks that need lead melodies and/or vocalists to complete them. CT is a superb producer, but rather lacking as a composer.

However, he has done remixes for Twin Shadow, Locussolus, and Neon Indian (plus others) that are EXCELLENT. He should team up with a composer or songwriter and produce them in precisely this style.

Mopho + SQ8L + Oberheim DX drums layered with other 80s drum kits + careful compression techniques could get you quite far towards his sound I reckon.
I've already been pretty effusive of my praise in this thread so I won't belabour things except to say that my own reaction was quite different. I hear a lot of genuine emotion and personality in his songs; it really stands out to me in an identi-kit EDM world.
Old 4th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post

I agree with this sentiment. I find the solo and original tracks a but much work generally - dare I say it boring - even tho the production is great. My favorite stuff he has done are his remixes...

+ 1 on the suggestions for instruments. Add to that a Matrix 1000 and you pretty much got the same set-up as him. Although we are ignoring the general lo fi element of the sound - which is a huge part - and Ive not really heard anyone offer up a convincing specific explanation of how he gets it...because lets be honest - you dont get that sound easily when using a computer...
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I agree with this sentiment. I find the solo and original tracks a but much work generally - dare I say it boring - even tho the production is great. My favorite stuff he has done are his remixes...

+ 1 on the suggestions for instruments. Add to that a Matrix 1000 and you pretty much got the same set-up as him. Although we are ignoring the general lo fi element of the sound - which is a huge part - and Ive not really heard anyone offer up a convincing specific explanation of how he gets it...because lets be honest - you dont get that sound easily when using a computer...
Certain software hosts are more efficient at enabling the type of aesthetic you're referencing than others.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

I've been digging com truise a lot lately. Infact this whole style has really been in heavy rotation in my mp3 player.
Old 4th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktuator View Post
Certain software hosts are more efficient at enabling the type of aesthetic you're referencing than others.
which ones?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
I've already been pretty effusive of my praise in this thread so I won't belabour things except to say that my own reaction was quite different. I hear a lot of genuine emotion and personality in his songs; it really stands out to me in an identi-kit EDM world.
For what it's worth, I agree with you, he has carved out his own sound and it is somewhat unique. But it reeks of nostalgia, without the effective composition it requires to truly shine. (e.g. Some cute Boards of Canada-style melodies would raise it a few notches towards brilliance)

It just annoys me that a tune like BASF Ace, and some others, are often based on overly simplistic chord progressions.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
In fact this whole style has really been in heavy rotation in my mp3 player.
Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake
For what it's worth, I agree with you, he has carved out his own sound and it is somewhat unique. But it reeks of nostalgia, without the effective composition it requires to truly shine. (e.g. Some cute Boards of Canada-style melodies would raise it a few notches towards brilliance)

It just annoys me that a tune like BASF Ace, and some others, are often based on overly simplistic chord progressions.
Fair enough; this stuff is idiosyncratic enough that it's going to hit everybody differently anyway.

BoC are kind of on their own planet, they're a tough point of reference. I have a lot of affection for many of their imitators, but most of them latch onto the Boards' fuzzy nostalgia aspect without being able to get at the paranoia or sheer abstractive weirdness. Nobody else is writing stuff about obscure corners of number theory or putting songs on their album that can only be heard if run through a compressor.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

listening to some of the critics here, it sounds like some of you could fart out better music in your sleep lol... on the other hand CT is by no means the end-all be-all of edm, nor is he even the originator of this genre, but its undeniable his production is tight and i love the whole vibe & nostalgic visuals (i grew up in the 80's)

also i get the BoC reference, but CT is a lot closer to the new gen of chillwave/tape fm artists mixed with the aggressive dynamics of french electro (oizo,sebastian,kavinsky..) imo
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Any recommendations?
check out CFCF - Raining Patterns

also - I discovered Com Truise, Tycho and Gold Panda all about the same time, and while they're different (Tycho is less funky, more laid back but still maintains some sort of retro-ness about it to me, and Gold Panda is less synthy, more samply but grooves pretty well), they sit next to one another well in my playlists so I thought them worth mentioning here.

Quote:
Nobody else is writing stuff about obscure corners of number theory or putting songs on their album that can only be heard if run through a compressor.
the compressor reference, is this a BOC song? I don't know much about them, but this makes me curious. what song is this?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclark View Post
I discovered Com Truise, Tycho and Gold Panda all about the same time, and while they're different (Tycho is less funky, more laid back but still maintains some sort of retro-ness about it to me, and Gold Panda is less synthy, more samply but grooves pretty well), they sit next to one another well in my playlists so I thought them worth mentioning here.
Big fan of Tycho, met the guy, he's pretty cool. Don't know Gold Panda, I'll check them out.

Quote:
the compressor reference, is this a BOC song? I don't know much about them, but this makes me curious. what song is this?
The last song on The Campfire Headphase, Farewell Fire, fades out about halfway through:

I always wondered if it kept going, so I ran it through Logic's compressor, and sure enough there's a whole half of the song left. Apparently this thing is hand played the whole way through, no sequencing.

One of these days I'll upload a version that's not as shrill:

Old 4th March 2012
Gear Addict

Just listened to him for the first time thanks to this thread, definitely dig it. Reminds me a good bit of Neon Indian without vocals.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkramble View Post
Just listened to him for the first time thanks to this thread, definitely dig it. Reminds me a good bit of Neon Indian without vocals.
Odd you should mention Neon Indian, CT remixed Sleep Paralysist:

And again, I'd argue, this and most of his other remixes are vastly superior to his own material, the vocal melodies often adding a much-needed missing element. Twin Shadow and Locussolus being the best two, IMHO. Great for any car journey...
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

This has the freshness of original Battlestar Galacticas or Knight rider.

Pastiche without anything new really. Not musically, not sonically, not visually. Edm version of a guitarist devoting his life for "that Jimi Hendrix sound".

That being said I take pleasure of listening such stuff, and enjoy making pastiches myself too.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any recommendations?
College.

I dont get into "trance" but I like the fusion in this remix below

As I'm really into film and how music and sound can shape the feeling of film I love this video against the college music. Really cool!

Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

About using the samples from DMX - Linn - Sequential.

They just dont sound the same. In the case of the Sequential drumtraks when you add accents the sounds hit the circuitry or is it the internal filter harder and this changes the vibe a lot. I didnt realise this until I got a Drumtraks. When i program the samples they just dont have the same vibe at all. Its the same sounds, but not the same vibe. I think this must be taken in to consideration with these drum machines. Whether the DMX and Linn does the same thing I dont know as I dont own one. But it wouldnt surprise me.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy View Post
About using the samples from DMX - Linn - Sequential.

They just dont sound the same. In the case of the Sequential drumtraks when you add accents the sounds hit the circuitry or is it the internal filter harder and this changes the vibe a lot. I didnt realise this until I got a Drumtraks. When i program the samples they just dont have the same vibe at all. Its the same sounds, but not the same vibe. I think this must be taken in to consideration with these drum machines. Whether the DMX and Linn does the same thing I dont know as I dont own one. But it wouldnt surprise me.
samples are just a picture of the sound.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

just bought com truise galactic melt and am lovin it!
mini
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont think his set-up is that complicated. Most of his synth sounds are the Matrix 6 and the Minimoog V. He uses Logic and as far as I understand it he bounces stuff out thru a mixer and some outboard - which might explain how he gets the lo fi sound. There is a good interview with him around the web I cant remember exactly where it is...

I have also noticed the fluid hats-and hats dont sound like that if you just sequence straight 16th notes in a DAW...to me they sound like when you hear a real drum machine vs 1 static sample. IE there is subtle variation in the sound just as you get with a drum machine. If you listen to drum machine demos on YouTube - you hear the same thing.

Probably he is getting that variation through his analogue outboard processing chain - as I dont think he uses the original drum machine...the hats and drums are thick, punchy and lo fi and Im betting he gets that sound thru a mixer EQ and some low end-ish 80s outboard FX.
Not sure if was covered later in the thread but he doesn't like logic. Creates and records in Ableton and uses reason to sequence and mix. Records audio to VHS as well.
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie View Post
Not sure if was covered later in the thread but he doesn't like logic. Creates and records in Ableton and uses reason to sequence and mix. Records audio to VHS as well.
seeing that latest Twitter post, it seems that this is something he's just now getting into doing. i don't get the feeling that he's been doing this all along.
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
seeing that latest Twitter post, it seems that this is something he's just now getting into doing. i don't get the feeling that he's been doing this all along.
Maybe he saw this thread and thought "Gee, thats a cool idea." heh
Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
How did you infer that from the post? All it said was "Recording some audio to VHS this morning."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search