The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nord Lead 2x - buy or not? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 26th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Nord Lead 2x - buy or not?

Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Keyboard doesn't have aftertouch, might be important for controller duties.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan View Post
Keyboard doesn't have after touch, might be important for controller duties.
yeah exactly what i thought when i read that you wanna use it as the main controller. the only thing i would personally whine about is the fact that it's a 2x and not just a 2. i prefer the 2 (20 bit dac vs 24 bit).. of course many prefer the higher res brightness.

now that aside, out of all my gear the nords are arguably the most indispensable. fantastic, essential, vital synths the nord leads are. you'll love it.
Old 26th February 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

I agree that aftertouch may be an issue. I like to use it quite a bit.

Maybe not the best for lush pads either. Still decent though. I think basses and leads are good.

Are you still planning to use some VSTis as well? Plenty of good pad options there.

Virus KC, SN2, or Z1 might be worth a look.

Are you particularly wanting a VA keyboard? What's your budget?
Old 26th February 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Fiction View Post
now that aside, out of all my gear the nords are arguably the most indispensable. fantastic, essential, vital synths the nord leads are. you'll love it.
The more VAs I get, the more I appreciate my Lead 1. It is simple, easy, and sounds good. Never seems to clip like some of my digital synths. Pretty much an instant success machine. It is limited though, and sound can pretty much be replaced with software, if you want to go that way.
Old 26th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Old 26th February 2012
Sonic Hooligan

I've had a Nord Rack 2 (non X) for many years. Its a well built and very versatile synth that can really cover a lot of ground. Check out some demo's if you didn't already. If you like it, go for it.
Some folk claim they are a very good emulation of analogue. Im not entirely sure I agree, but no matter because it sounds great either way

(While im here, I couldn't help but notice the in-thread ebay advert for a "Roland Nord Lead 2" )
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

The great thing about the nord is its just very musical and fits in a mix really well. It's a fun inspiring instrument. I love mine.
Old 27th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Old 27th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by baoboa View Post
Again, thanks for the input.

I think I'm gonna go for the NR2X + a dedicated midi controller. From the various demos I heard last night I'm pretty impressed with the Novation Supernova 2 and Virus B (thanks for the tip Oli!).. if I can find em used, at a cheap price and someone willing to ship here I think I'll be covered for the sounds I'm after right now.

One question - wondering if the SN2 has same/similar sounds as the Super Bass Station or is it an all together totally different beast?

The nord is great for polyphony. What it lacks is the sheer digital vibrance of the newer VAs. And the non-plastic sound of analog bass. So I got a DSI tetra, and now I'm thinking about getting a TI Virus Snow to be complete. I find that the DSI tetra has the more rounded happier prophet sound. If you want bass that sounds like someone dying or going in to outer space go for a juno or moog.
Old 27th February 2012
Nord is cool but are you sure you dont want a Virus TI? Nord has its sound and is quite convincing as analogue. Virus is more VA but its so strong in terms of being a professional workhorse...with 16 parts available ITB...fantastic effects, patches etc.
If I was making your type of music I wouldnt want a Nord as a main workhorse. Its a good compliment to others tho and a lovely main keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen6k View Post
If you want bass that sounds like someone dying or going in to outer space go for a juno or moog.
It doesnt make sense - but I like this.

EDIT

ah ok you are going with more than 1.

I have to agree with Mr SPaceship and say that I think a Virus TI and a analogue eg Tetra is a great combo. Virus can do VA and modern sounds - but the real analogue can provide that beef to compliment. With a red wine jus. Im not sure it necessary to have multiple types of virtual analogue...but thats just me.
Old 27th February 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
One question - wondering if the SN2 has same/similar sounds as the Super Bass Station or is it an all together totally different beast?
Sounds pretty different to me. Probably smoother in general. Filter is not as hearty or juicy. More synthesis options. Better MIDI response. More versatile. Supernova 2 keyboard is the best of these. Rack looks great though . Keybed is decent (better than a lot of controllers I've tried) without being amazing.

Supernova effects are not the best. Useful for some stuff.

BTW, have you listened to an Ion?

How about an Andromeda? Can cover a lot of bases.

Will you be using hardware effects with this rig?
Old 27th February 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Nord is cool but are you sure you dont want a Virus TI? Nord has its sound and is quite convincing as analogue. Virus is more VA but its so strong in terms of being a professional workhorse...with 16 parts available ITB...fantastic effects, patches etc.
If I was making your type of music I wouldnt want a Nord as a main workhorse. Its a good compliment to others tho and a lovely main keyboard.
I agree the Virus TI(2) is a great main keyboard. Workhorse. Versatile. Great synthesis options. Covers a lot of bases. Beautiful keybed. Useful, quality effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I have to agree with Mr SPaceship and say that I think a Virus TI and a analogue eg Tetra is a great combo. Virus can do VA and modern sounds - but the real analogue can provide that beef to compliment.
Lots of good analogue options these days, to compliment a VA. SEM Pro, Neptune 2, XS, Mono Lancet, ATC XI Quad, MiniBrute, Minitaur, modular etc. If you want poly, something like an MKS-80 is great, and rack sized.

Guess it depends on money though.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Head

I have the Nord Rack 2x and it has just a wonderful interface. Main weakness is the filter and lack of negative envs. But it's just so quick to program a good 4-part multi I can't complain. Also keep in mind it has no effects.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Its use as a controller aside, I found the 2x to be nice but not noticably better than a plugin. One area where it excels is its beautiful unison mode which is lovely and lush
Old 27th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some good suggestions... spending my day checking out loads of Youtube vids on these. Will post up later with thoughts and Q's. I must make a decision on the Nord's today as the one store I found in Hong Kong (which is right across the boarder from me) that carries em has a sale ending tomorrow (new for $1250. USD). The only other synth they have that I can test side by side is the Moog LP...
I went to Tom Lee in HK few months ago to buy a Lead but ended up with a Wave instead. Lot more money but it served my needs more. Still, it was a tough choice and the Lead was awesome too

Good luck!
Old 27th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Nord Lead is not the best sounding synth out there I think, but it's by far the best compromise of a transportable *instrument*. If that plays any role to you, it's much more lightweight than a Virus or most other 4 Octave synths.
Old 27th February 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

How about starting with the DX7 + Virus, and then see if you really need anything else? Maybe a drum machine might seem more important than another VA at that stage?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

all i can say is +1 on the 2X, still the best va on the market imo..the fact it sounds so damn good without fx really places it king of the hill.. strip away all fx on the virus and it sounds harsh & one dimensional
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Get a Blofeld.. seriously
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Maniac

+1 for Nord. I consistently use mine (Rack 2). It just always turns out to provide whatever I'm looking for and sits in the mix so well. Unison mode does provide serious FAT and LUSHness.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
all i can say is +1 on the 2X, still the best va on the market imo..the fact it sounds so damn good without fx really places it king of the hill.. strip away all fx on the virus and it sounds harsh & one dimensional
I completely agree.I miss my 2x.

I have never liked the virus and its sound.I had the b,classic and ti.None of them impressed me.I actually liked the classic over the ti.

The Nord 2x is still the only synth that I instantly loved and yes it fits so well in any mix and sounds good with no fx.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
The more VAs I get, the more I appreciate my Lead 1. It is simple, easy, and sounds good. Never seems to clip like some of my digital synths. Pretty much an instant success machine. It is limited though, and sound can pretty much be replaced with software, if you want to go that way.
yes, my lead 1 gets the most attention. and i feel you can squeeze much more sonic territory out of it than commonly judged. i personally haven't had much software do it justice. sounds very unique. there's nothing like a lead.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Has anyone found a good chorus pedal as an alternative to 'unison' mode?
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear
I feel the Nord Lead 2x is a fine, well featured, capable instrument.

It can create a wide variety of sounds, the limit and quality of which is largely defined by the user.
Old 28th February 2012
NEW-PIONEER DJM800 4SALE

Old 13th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith priest View Post
I have the Nord Rack 2x and it has just a wonderful interface. Main weakness is the filter and lack of negative envs. But it's just so quick to program a good 4-part multi I can't complain. Also keep in mind it has no effects.
You're right about negative envs, but I wouldn't call its filter a weakness.
Too bad we're missing a few extra modulations and perhaps a second filter, but besides that I think it sounds 200 % better than the Virus.
Try compairing the 'dry' Nord to a Virus with all effects turned off, and it should be obvious to anyone that this red monster is head and shoulders above the Virus imho.
Throw in some great fx like Uhbiks and a good reverb, and this synth is about as good as it gets albeit its limitations.
Old 13th March 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

The Nord Rack 2 is still one of the best buy you can find.

I think it's a bargain and it makes unique sounds that VST's can't.

Not speaking about bread and butter stuff, but interesting textures and that filter is amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search