The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How long is a reasonable wait for "Instant Download"? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

How long is a reasonable wait for "Instant Download"?

I don't tend to post a lot here a whole lot, but I'm curious to get some additional feedback on my "instant gratification" questions below, so I'm cross-posting this from a thread I started over at KVR... (Mods -- please feel free to move this if not the best section of the forum!)

So the other day, I made 2 consecutive software "Instant Download" purchases. The first was from an independent developer with a catalog of just a few, but nonetheless very nice effects plugins, offered at a reasonable price. The second purchase was from a larger company that also has a catalog of just a few, but nonetheless very nice effects plugins that serve the professional marketplace and are offered at a premium, along with some niche utilities that would be very useful to audio professionals like myself.

Within minutes, the independent developer had processed my order, sent me the registration keyfile, and I was happily experimenting with said purchase in Logic.

After 2 hours of no order confirmation or download link with the professional developer, I sent a (respectful) email inquiring about the wait or to see if there was a problem with my order.

16 hours after my order was placed, my credit card was charged with the purchase.

After 24 hours, I still had not received any word from the vendor, nor had I received a download link or a registration number. I sent another (respectful) email to ask if my order had somehow gotten glitched, even though my AmEx was charged. Shortly thereafter, I also registered on the company's support forum, where there seemed to be up-to-date communication, and inquired there about how long an "instant download" purchase might typically take. It is now 36 hours later, and I have had zero communication from anyone at the company.

Granted, I purchased one of their lower-cost "utilities", not their most premium software, and I am in the US, while they are "overseas", so I can understand certain delays... although I've bought software from Germany, Poland, France, Austria, Australia, and elsewhere and never had to wait so long with no response. Again, this is supposed to be a reputable company, and I ordered direct from their web shop. (No, it's not Native Instruments!)

So how long is reasonable to wait for an instant download before contesting the charge with my credit card company? Or am I simply being too impatient? Is 48 hours an acceptable amount of time to wait for a download? Or are we just so accustomed to instant gratification that it only *seems* unacceptable to have to wait that long?

My attitude toward this particular company is soured enough due to the lack of response that I will likely NEVER purchase any of their premium software packages (no matter how good), nor would I recommend them as a vendor to any of my colleagues. I feel like they're an exclusive club and I just don't have the right buzzword to get admittance, even though I already paid my cover charge!

On the other hand, here's to all you "small" guys who know how best to treat your customers!
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpass View Post
Within minutes, the independent developer had processed my order, sent me the registration keyfile, and I was happily experimenting with said purchase in Logic.
ValhallaDSP?

Quote:
After 2 hours of no order confirmation or download link with the professional developer, I sent a (respectful) email inquiring about the wait or to see if there was a problem with my order.
You're certain that it didn't end up in your spam folder?

Quote:
So how long is reasonable to wait for an instant download before contesting the charge with my credit card company?
One or two working days at most (if we're dealing with a human processing the transaction) - unless explicitly specified otherwise. Nobody needs to observe this process manually and rubber stamp anything; if the payment gateway has been programmed correctly it can and should all be automated.

Quote:
Or am I simply being too impatient? Is 48 hours an acceptable amount of time to wait for a download?
48 hours would tell me there's something wrong. Perhaps their mail server on their side had a meltdown, or a piece of software failed and your order got caught between the debris. So - call them personally, don't mail.

I bought U-He Diva. U-He use Share-It for sales. After I ordered, the same minute, the order confirmation dropped in. A few seconds after that, my license key was sent to me - twice, once by U-He, once by Share-It.

These are transactions. Transactions should be handled in an atomic fashion; either it should fail completely, or it should work, and the delay between payment and charge should be minimal, because that's what computers are for in the first place.
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
ValhallaDSP?
LOL! "Registration Keyfile" gave it away, right?

Definitely checked the ol' spam folder... repeatedly. Yeah, the silence makes me think something is definitely glitched. Perhaps on my 48-hour follow-up, I'll try an alternate email address too, just to cover all bases. Language barrier may be a factor with a direct phone call.

I'm really trying to resolve things as peaceably as possible, before bringing in the muscle of American Express -- mainly, because the software is a useful utility that I really *could* use in my day-to-day work. Aargh!
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpass View Post
LOL! "Registration Keyfile" gave it away, right?
And the developer handling it himself; I recall him saying it was easier to do it himself as opposed to building some software to handle it because the numbers were still manageable (which is a pity because his work is absolutely ace, so more people should buy these gems)

Quote:
Language barrier may be a factor with a direct phone call.
What country are we talking about, coincidently?
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
What country are we talking about, coincidently?
Netherlands.

I just followed up with a different email to their sales department, after realizing the previous correspondences went to support. I'll give it another day or so to see if that makes a difference...
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Guru

Don't worry about language barriers if it's the Netherlands. I hope you have more luck with sales though good support should redirect you, even with a canned response.

Guess: Audio Ease?
Old 15th February 2012
Gear maniac

sylenth1?

please name the 2 developers! nothing to hide here...
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Guess: Audio Ease?
Dang, Yoozer, two for two!

Dubber -- I was trying to be judicious about naming names until I'd reached some sort of solution. (Of course, I didn't count on Sherlock Yoozer correctly deducing both so quickly!)

Don't want to sound like I'm bad-mouthing a company for what could be an honest error or oversight, even despite my frustration at the moment. Too often, we're quick to jump on what we perceive as egregious offenses, before all the details can be worked out -- and I believe in attempting to find an amicable resolution for any issues before implicating anyone!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search