The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
DIY Electronic Acoustic Drum Hybrid
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear
DIY Electronic Acoustic Drum Hybrid

I have some questions relating to an intended drum set up for my studio.

Currently I own an acoustic drum set and some zildjian cymbals as well as a cheap Alesis electronic kit. I have been purchasing some of the new Alesis realpads one by one. The new 12 inch pad they have released fits perfectly in a snare stand.
I am trying to create a hardware set up from which I can swap out electronic pads for real drums without having to mess around with a rack.

The problems I have encountered so far are mostly related to the mounting brackets on the edrum pads being too small so that they won't fit onto my mapex hardware.

I'm considering drilling into the mounts to widen the hole.. they are just made from a high density plastic. I'm also planning on drilling a hole in the real hat pedal (just a 127 velocity layer midi expression pedal with a spring in it really) and attaching it to an old Yamaha hi hat stand so that I can swap it out in the same way.
My electronic bass drum is free standing, so easy to replace.

All other cymbals seem to swap easily.

As an electronic kit I'm using it with BFD2 within Protools, which is fantastic.. but the idea of recording a real kit from time to time is very attractive, especially as I have a full set of purpose drum mics.

I'm not a drummer so I want to keep the cost down where I can.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 9th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroldus View Post
I have some questions relating to an intended drum set up for my studio.

Currently I own an acoustic drum set and some zildjian cymbals as well as a cheap Alesis electronic kit. I have been purchasing some of the new Alesis realpads one by one. The new 12 inch pad they have released fits perfectly in a snare stand.
I am trying to create a hardware set up from which I can swap out electronic pads for real drums without having to mess around with a rack.

The problems I have encountered so far are mostly related to the mounting brackets on the edrum pads being too small so that they won't fit onto my mapex hardware.

I'm considering drilling into the mounts to widen the hole.. they are just made from a high density plastic. I'm also planning on drilling a hole in the real hat pedal (just a 127 velocity layer midi expression pedal with a spring in it really) and attaching it to an old Yamaha hi hat stand so that I can swap it out in the same way.
My electronic bass drum is free standing, so easy to replace.

All other cymbals seem to swap easily.

As an electronic kit I'm using it with BFD2 within Protools, which is fantastic.. but the idea of recording a real kit from time to time is very attractive, especially as I have a full set of purpose drum mics.

I'm not a drummer so I want to keep the cost down where I can.

Any advice would be appreciated.
i think you should also ask this question in another section of gearslutz like low end theory or maybe so much gear so little time..
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear
Thanks Golden Beers. Will do. I'm a bit new to the forums. I did have a little hunt around before I posted, but I had a slight pang of guilt as I posted that one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search