The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 7's Midi OUT jitter disaster
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Head

I've just made some try with my actual gears, the MPC slave of Cubase clock, on 6 audio tracks recorded I don't have more than 0.5ms differences (but randomly).
Do you think I still need the USAMO...?
Old 7th May 2017
My timing on 2 win 7 machines is near sample accurate except notes within a chord because of the serial nature of midi. There is a slight delay which is easy to see in the recorded audio, but it's a consistent delay that exactly the same every time. I just nudge back any virtual synths midi tracks after recording to match or the hardware synth audio forward.

This is thanks to using my steinberg midex 8s with cubase. They use something called LTB technology when used together. It's more accurate than every single USB equipped synth I own, including very current ones like minilogue, drumbrute, and minibrute. I just plug into their midiport instead and it's quite an audible difference in the triggering.
Old 7th May 2017
Lives for gear

I use USAMO though I may upgrade to a bigger Expert Sleepers unit. It's so damn tight, once I tried it I could never go back! (I use the headphone out from my RME Fireface UC as two CV out's for USAMO/SilentWay).

I made a little demo track with every part sequenced from the OB-6 sequencer slaved to Pro Tools (11.x / Win 10).
There are some edits (I got a bit carried away with the tune). But the point was to test the USAMO box syncing multiple parts over multiple passes and it passed with flying colours, SO DAMN TIGHT!

Old 8th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post

This is thanks to using my steinberg midex 8s with cubase. They use something called LTB technology when used together.
I forgot about this, and I do I have a midex 8 around. What versions of cubase support this?
Old 8th May 2017
Gear Head

Hum guys you're not the first to tell me the Midex8 is tight! I think I'm gonna try that LTBtechnology verry soon!
I've read that it works on win7 64b even if no official driver exists. I'm wondering if multiclient works also without the official driver.
Really thinking about exchanging my ESI m8u for a Midex, for cubase as unique sequencer mode (cubase just send notes)

i'm still interested in the USAMO for clock syncing (cubase>MPC1000), finally nothing is tight with my actual setup...
I might get both.
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Head

bluegreengold did you tried the midex8?
I received mine and it's not better than my ESI... (on cubase7)

I also bought an USAMO by expert sleepers, this is better but still not perfect. The problem is that, first there is only one midi out, second i have to use a virtual midi cable (loopBE) in order to edit my synths (midiquest...). LoopBE is a driver and I discovered it adds jitter/latency :( , it makes the USAMO not better than the USB interfaces and more complicated...

I might try some friend setups (other OS, other DAW, other motherboard...)

Edit: After lots of tests the Midex8 and the ESI m8U xl bring verry similar results, they are good interfaces but still give jitter and latency. The USAMO is perfect without virtual midi cable!
Old 30th May 2017
Lives for gear
I only have a cheapo version of Cubase which I do not believe will do the timestamping.

I suggest you use two interfaces -- the USAMO for clock and parts that need to be highly accurate -- ie percussive sounds / bass and another 8 channel midi interface for all the editing. use a merger.
Old 31st May 2017
Gear Head

After new tests I realised that the USAMO is really really tight, that's the sampler and synth that induced jitter...
Yesterday I tried to control the s950 with usamo, it was perfect (max 0.3ms!) on all my 15 tests . Even after closing and relauch cubase (when I was doing that with the usb interfaces, audio tracks were 6-7ms later or before than previous tests...)
Then I tried the TX81z, it had 2ms internal jitter max (which is correct, and I think that would be the same amount if I just connected a master keyboard to it)
My MPC1000 with JJOS was good but less reactive than the S950.

I see more clearly the process I need now.
_ USAMO for the beats (control the samplers)
_ Midex8 or ESI m8u xl for the synths
_ once the midi composition is well advanced, I record each gear one after one via the USAMO only (I will have to rewire one midi cable everytime on the gear i want to rec)

The ES-40 + ESX-8MD would be the perfect solution but as I said I would need loopBE virtual midi cable driver (that induces jitter) and it is not intuitive...

It would still be verry cool to improve the usb midi interfaces timing (as I need it in my process), but I think only a computer expert could help.
I will make new tests to see which one between the ESI and Midex8 gives best results (I would say the ESI from my previous tests). The Midex8 has midi thru fonction but i don't see how I could use it with the USAMO and Soundddiver/midiquest.

Thank you all for the help.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicks91 View Post
After new tests I realised that the USAMO is really really tight, that's the sampler and synth that induced jitter...
Yesterday I tried to control the s950 with usamo, it was perfect (max 0.3ms!) on all my 15 tests
That's a big reason why people have liked the s950 -- it doesn't just have a unique sound, but it is extremely tight on the midi. Many hardware samplers can't deal with steady 16ths...
📝 Reply