The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound design question Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Head

Sound design question

Hello, I have another sound design question for you all =D
I'm interested to know how I can super impose to audio files together. For example Amon Tobin have a way of taking a recording-let's say of a creaky chair and using the sound characteristics of the recording but replacing the sound with say that of a synthesizer. Another example is from anther gearslutz thread about a sound effect in the Matrix movies, more specifically when the liquid metal enters Neo's throat and his voice changes to the sound of a dial up modem. One member of this forum posted a sound clip of a modem dial up sequence and at around .23s into the clip I heard the exact same sound! So essentially how did they use that sound and super impose it on Neo's voice?

I know the Tau editor in Kyma can do this and that's what Amon Tobin uses but what is the process called and what other programs will let you achieve it??
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

At a guess you're talking about a vocoder.
Vocoder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a metric tonne of them (being relatively old electronic music tech), and they come as hardware and software.
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Head

Not so sure on that, I really don't think you can do what Amon Tobin did on his album ISAM with a vocoder...no offense but if it was that simple he would have done it. I will link a video or two so you guys understand exactly what I'm referring to. In my experience vocoders are just not capable of transforming sound the way I hear it in my head, it sounds weird and to kraftwork-esque (totally not dissing them btw) and just doesn't really get that transformation I'm talking about. Watch the video at any rate.

Making of ISAM Sounds - YouTube
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear
This looks to be a paper about what he's using in that video: Current Research in Real-time Sound Morphing
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
This looks to be a paper about what he's using in that video: Current Research in Real-time Sound Morphing
Yes, this is more in line with what I'm talking about! I think we can agree that this technique is definitely not achievable with a vocoder. It has similarities but it just isn't the right tool and isn't what Amon used. Thanks for that link my friend =D
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Symbolic Sound Kyma: Products Pacarana

you need one of these.
'the holy grail of sound design'...
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Goldie View Post
Symbolic Sound Kyma: Products Pacarana

you need one of these.
'the holy grail of sound design'...
Or just get Camel Alchemy, which excels at making instruments out of found sound. One of the best presets on it comes from additive synthesis using a Lego toy doorbell.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Metasynth ! ! !
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Metasynth ! ! !
I'd love to have a mac for this one alone.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

@op: I've done some research into this before and Beermaster is right -- Metasynth. I'm on PC so one of the only options to stay "native" (ie not Kyma or deep into PD) seems to be a mac mini and Metasynth (and yet my eye remains on a shruthi-1. . .). Spectrasonics calls that superimposition their "Composite Morphing Technique" and there are a lot of proprietary CMT samples in Omnisphere. I also think Cube 2 by Vir Syn might allow this -- but it is priced in Euros and requires a dongle (not the iLok but the other one) which may or may not be a factor for you. [There was a thread about this not too long ago but I can remember the title or if it was a derailed portion of something else.]
Old 28th January 2012
Deleted User
there are several roads to Rome.
You can also try granular and spectral synthesis combined with resampling and effects, then mapping.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

@OP I just recently found out about this -- it appears to do exactly what you (and me) want -- convolution synthesis:
Galaxy X

The KVR thread about it:
KVR: Galaxy X - new convolution synth

It looks like it will be shipping in the next month or two. This might be on an Omnisphere level so I"ll definitely be following its development.

Now that I think about it, it seems very familiar to the Forbidden Planet project that EWQL were working on but never released.
Old 3rd February 2012
+3 Metasynth
lot of Aphex Twin stuff done with it as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search