The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you eliminate moving harmonics in a bassline?
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
here's an example of a track where someone bothered to eq every bass note. admittedly, a simple b-line. as you can hear it is worth doing in certain circumstances.
Of course eq it's worth if you need it in every note as long as you don't over do it, i ve done it too but with a bassline made by a single note sample once or a poorly designed fm synth bass patch i had made some time ago... Filter is differrent because you 'll mess wiith the timbre in every note. You 'll need an fft filter like the one in samplitude or tc assimilator but i m NOT that crazy tweaking harmonics in such a way, and i don't think i m gonna like the results anyway, i like my harmonics moving thankyouverymuch. I just program my synths carefully, if it sounds good it sounds good.

Too much overtones in a bass riff that masks with your other instruments it means, in my book, that you must: lp / sometimes sidechain carefully with fast a/r times if you want it to be inaudible (excluding vocals) / pan the other elements in your mix where they fit better or whatever you like, experiments fit in edm imho as long as you ve got the aesthetics. Huge bass sounds i find in electro or fidget where bass is also the lead at the same time, but in these genres there's not much (or none) melodic content playing along with the bass, except vocals maybe.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Cysonic nXstacy
Just in case it got lost in the noise last time around... to reiterate that this ^ plug will do exactly what the OP wants to do... ie, you can set it to reduce a given (eg 3rd) harmonic, and it will do so equally, in real time, to whatever note you pass through it.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Panning can save your ass in a mix. Here's an example where the snare is very wide in stereo with almost no mono content to avoid the vocals and bass (filtered sawish patch you don't need to have all the overtones) which sits perfectly with the vocals (bass). In this case i think i would probably just hard pan the snare left or right and check in mono.

Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just in case it got lost in the noise last time around... to reiterate that this ^ plug will do exactly what the OP wants to do... ie, you can set it to reduce a given (eg 3rd) harmonic, and it will do so equally, in real time, to whatever note you pass through it.
Looks interesting if it can boost certain harmonics also, i may give it a shot sometime. Has it been usefull to you so far?
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pulse View Post
Use only sine waves for instruments and you won't have to worry about clashing harmonics ever again.
lols.

The 'all crysonic' plug ins bundle is £30, about £800 off for 3 days..

http://www.crysonic.com/bundles.html

Well, worth it, some great plug ins that few people seem to know exist.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots of helpful information in here

To clear things up, I don't have anything specific that I am trying to do at the moment. The reason I asked this is because I have come across this before where a synth bassline that I make will sound good besides a couple harmonics (that move with the note the bass is playing). If I can come up with an example I'll post it though for sure.

Quote:
I'll have to check this plugin out, I figured something at least remotely along the lines of what I'm looking for exists. Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousbass View Post
Some bass sounds just don't work.

It's the length of time the harmonic exists in the attack and decay of the note.

A good bass note contains a complex feedback mechanism that should, at best, be slightly uncontrollable but not obnoxious.

You have to shop through your VSTI for a better sound, like us bassist have more than one bass guitar. Or tweak it, like a new set of strings or pickup combination or simply the tone pot. A minute amount of distortion helps smear the other harmonic, enriching the final sound.

Trying to solve by subtracting harmonics means your sound is admitting other harmonics that should be there are already missing. If you go Sine wave you're not fixing anything, and you are definitely creating a big set of other unfixable problems. Think about when you heard a famous bassline on hold over the phone and recognised the song, eg, One of These Nights by the Eagles.

Also, I agree with FRANZ KAFKA it's the settings on your compressor, they can make or break any bass sound. And a good compressor, like an 1176, can add the right amount of dirt thickening compound along the way.

Multiband? As a rule, never. For slap bass only.

And always EQ the bass before AND after compression.

Are you truly mono under 300Hz?
Interesting points, I'll have to play around with my sounds more til I get it right.

And also I'm usually not completely mono until about 120 Hz, but I'll try doing mono under 300 Hz and see what that does for me
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkamist View Post
To clear things up, I don't have anything specific that I am trying to do at the moment. The reason I asked this is because I have come across this before where a synth bassline that I make will sound good besides a couple harmonics (that move with the note the bass is playing). If I can come up with an example I'll post it though for sure.
I suspect from what I've read that you are at a level of awareness beyond this, so please forgive me if this comes over as patronising....
In a great many contemporary bass presets, the oscillators will be tuned to different notes (an obvious example might be osc 2 at +7 semitones above whatever note you are playing on the keyboard).
I could much more easily see this creating the issues you have complained of than a raw overtone.

Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I suspect from what I've read that you are at a level of awareness beyond this, so please forgive me if this comes over as patronising....
In a great many contemporary bass presets, the oscillators will be tuned to different notes (an obvious example might be osc 2 at +7 semitones above whatever note you are playing on the keyboard).
I could much more easily see this creating the issues you have complained of than a raw overtone.

No worries! And I'm actually talking about bass instruments that I make myself, I can never find good presets for bass. But yeah I've noticed a lot of presets have that, so strange.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
The 'all crysonic' plug ins bundle is £30, about £800 off for 3 days..

Bundles :: Crysonic - Professional Audio Plugins VST AU RTAS

Well, worth it, some great plug ins that few people seem to know exist.
Thanks
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkamist View Post
Yeah I'm pretty OCD lol. And darn, I was hoping to be able to do it on an already existing bassline. I guess I'll just have to be less OCD haha
i think this is a great idea when writing electronic music and i actually do this by notching out the harmonics with FabFilters ProQ 3 to cut out muddyness and make a more pronounced bass with no dead spots, its very user friendly and very well equipped, you can see all the harmonics clearly on the graff and you can also zoom to make it easier, Hope this helps
link to plugin -
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/p...alizer-plug-in
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Sample the bass, EQ out the harmonic in the samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search