The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
How much is an Emu E4XT Ultra worth?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

How much is an Emu E4XT Ultra worth?

I want to buy an E4XT Ultra. There aren't too many of these around and the only ones I see are on Ebay for quite the hefty price. How much do these usually go for privately? Wish I could find one, especially for a decent price. I'd like the optional ADAT and FX cards but if they're not included, no biggie.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I want to buy an E4XT Ultra. There aren't too many of these around and the only ones I see are on Ebay for quite the hefty price. How much do these usually go for privately? Wish I could find one, especially for a decent price. I'd like the optional ADAT and FX cards but if they're not included, no biggie.
I have one which I'm not really using like I thought I would. Haven't thought about selling it actively but I guess if a forum member is looking for one, then at least it might actually get used

I don't know either what the going rate is now...Ebay Sellers want €400-600 for them, but I guess then you get their warranty.

Where do you live? Got anything fun to trade?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
They seem to vary, I was lucky I did a BIN for a xt ultra with built in 20 gig
Hardrive, Adat option and several CD-rom drives for around $350

This was last year, it came in tip top condition.

Lately i,ve seen them up on ebay for around $600-700
Crazy these were over $4000 back in the day, well 10 years ago

LK
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
They seem to vary, I was lucky I did a BIN for a xt ultra with built in 20 gig
Hardrive, Adat option and several CD-rom drives for around $350

This was last year, it came in tip top condition.

Lately i,ve seen them up on ebay for around $600-700
Crazy these were over $4000 back in the day, well 10 years ago

LK
That's the software revolution for you. I guess people want drag and drop convenience.

I'll probably be looking for during my next annual gearfest.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

$700-$800 seems a bit much, especially if it doesn't have the optional adat card. Maybe if it had that along with other goodies I'd swing $600 on it max.

I don't have anything to trade, just cash. I'm in the USA. Shipping from Germany would be like $80-$100 I'm guessing. I really need that sampler though, I bought Emu CDs beforehand in preparation for getting it, and it's going to be the centerpiece in my studio. I do orchestral stuff so the E4XT Ultra is perfect for me.

I might just have to bite the bullet and pay $800 for it even though I don't want to.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
$700-$800 seems a bit much, especially if it doesn't have the optional adat card. Maybe if it had that along with other goodies I'd swing $600 on it max.

I don't have anything to trade, just cash. I'm in the USA. Shipping from Germany would be like $80-$100 I'm guessing. I really need that sampler though, I bought Emu CDs beforehand in preparation for getting it, and it's going to be the centerpiece in my studio. I do orchestral stuff so the E4XT Ultra is perfect for me.

I might just have to bite the bullet and pay $800 for it even though I don't want to.

I'd try and find one with an RFX32 card in it.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Addict

How about one of these? (I'm definitely not a photographer) pm sent

Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I have to pass on the 5000. Just read that it has only 4 outs. I need 8 for hardware drum mixing =)
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to pass on the 5000. Just read that it has only 4 outs. I need 8 for hardware drum mixing =)
You can get an extra 8 out card or find a E5000 with the card already installed.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
You can get an extra 8 out card.
Those are really rare these days. Just get E4XT/6400/E-Synth or upgraded 5000 if you need those outputs.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys, what's the difference in between the E4XT and the E4 Platinum? I'm thinking that Platinum one is actually the highest-up one.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

When The Platinum hit the streets it was $6400.00 usd. It was the quintessential flagship of the E4 hardware that came to an end with the advent of software based samplers. It was fully loaded with the RFX card and all of the other options available such as extra SCSI port, extra midi port, ADAT, word clock, digital I/O all the analog outs and all of the RFX I/O as well as completely maxed out with Ram. ~~~~> EMU E4 PLATINUM

However, you can find an Ultra6400 for around $200.00 these days. You can add ram up to 128 mb or extra drives for very little money. These came with digital I / O and separate outs (8). You could also add another midi port. Basically the same core machine as the Platinum without the RFX. Important to note that with all of the Ultra and Platinum (really a top Ultra), you can upgrade the EOS to 4.07 which then allows you to use IDE (FAT based) drives and transfer samples back and forth to a PC.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well these samplers have all the potential of being the next audio item
To start skyrocketing in price, I think the sampler market has been in sleeper
Mode for quite some time, I,m mean these are pretty powerful sound modules
And they,ve been going for crazy low money the past few years.

I,ve had emu samplers since the late 90's ,My xt ultra will be part of my
Kit until it sputters out.

LK
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Well these samplers have all the potential of being the next audio item
To start skyrocketing in price, I think the sampler market has been in sleeper
Mode for quite some time, I,m mean these are pretty powerful sound modules
And they,ve been going for crazy low money the past few years.
I would not be surprised at all. They are really high quality machines and they sound amazing. This is also true for the non Ultra E4's. Those can be had for sometimes as low as $50.00. It's madness.

Here is a chart showing the differences in the Ultra models ~~~~> Synthony Music's Synth & Midi Museum
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

The e6400 doesn't seem too bad at all. Are you sure it came with digital I/O though (adat)? Doesn't seem like it from the chart Teknobeam posted. If I can't find an XT Ultra, then I may just get an e6400 Ultra. I'd like to put the biggest IDE hard drive in it that I can. Guess I've got to go find the manual and see how big of a drive I can put into it.

I'd also want the extra midi ports for 32 channels. Not sure where to find that card and how hard it is to find in the first place. I might even take my chances with an e-synth. Not sure if the internal rom chip takes up memory or what.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

E4 Platinum Pics

powerful, awesome sounding sampler!

Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

I had an Esynth back around 2000-2001 when they were fairly high end and I loved it dearly, but why on earth would anyone want one these days with software where it is? I don't remember anything it could do that can't be done much faster and easier in the box these days. I figured these things would all be doorstops by now.
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
I had an Esynth back around 2000-2001 when they were fairly high end and I loved it dearly, but why on earth would anyone want one these days with software where it is? I don't remember anything it could do that can't be done much faster and easier in the box these days. I figured these things would all be doorstops by now.
I see your point... One question, how's Gigasampler working out for you now?
Old 19th January 2012
Gear Addict

Kontakt and Maschine are my sampling utilities at the moment. I just recently got back into this game, is Gigasampler a joke now or something? I haven't paid much attention to gear since the early 2000's. All I know is that between the two NI programs I listed I can do everything I ever did with the big hardware back in the day in a tenth of the time and it is already integrated into the DAW for whatever further manipulation I am after. I suppose all of those dedicated outs are a plus if someone has a ton of outboard stuff. Honestly my main memory of those samplers is having two seperate scsi drives die a terrible death and costing me months of work. Yikes. I am still amazed at how far things have come since what seems like just a few years ago. When I sold off my old studio I was happy to get 750$ for my Jupiter 6... a recent check of ebay made me a bit sick thinking about that one.. ha.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

One could argue the whole software VS hardware till the cows come home
For me it,s a no brainer, I,ve had a large Emu Sound Library for years,Ive used
Emu,s for years, great filters, and don,t need a computer to run it.
Turn it on load a sound off the hardrive and your done.

Cheers
Andra
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The e6400 doesn't seem too bad at all. Are you sure it came with digital I/O though (adat)? Doesn't seem like it from the chart Teknobeam posted. If I can't find an XT Ultra, then I may just get an e6400 Ultra. I'd like to put the biggest IDE hard drive in it that I can. Guess I've got to go find the manual and see how big of a drive I can put into it.

I'd also want the extra midi ports for 32 channels. Not sure where to find that card and how hard it is to find in the first place. I might even take my chances with an e-synth. Not sure if the internal rom chip takes up memory or what.
HSLand you are right it didn't come factory with the digital I/O. Definitiely not the ADAT. Mine came with the I/O but it was used. I think you can install a 114 gig drive if it is IDE (fat32) You have to be running EOS 4.07.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

I guess upgrading the OS is as simple as using a diskette? Or do you have to burn a new EPROM? I've got a burner so it's probably no problem if the OS is available. My old Akai - I had to load the newer/updated OS from a floppy disk every time until I hacked the OS and burned my own custom ERPOM.

It's looking like either an E4xt Ultra, the e6400 w/expansions, or the Platinum. Now the hard part is finding one...
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess upgrading the OS is as simple as using a diskette? Or do you have to burn a new EPROM? I've got a burner so it's probably no problem if the OS is available. My old Akai - I had to load the newer/updated OS from a floppy disk every time until I hacked the OS and burned my own custom ERPOM.

It's looking like either an E4xt Ultra, the e6400 w/expansions, or the Platinum. Now the hard part is finding one...
installing the EOS was easy, the hard part was making the disk. This goes for all EOS disks. I almost gave up. Then I found the information on how to do it after searching for hours. It has to be made in the command prompt (DOS commands). Trying to make it any other way maxes out the capacity of the floppy disk.~~~~> emusonacid! • View topic - *** EOS Upgrading *** PLEASE STICKY
Once you have instaled the new OS it's done. I was able to revive an E4 Turbo by re installing the EOS with this same method. I have a bunch of different versions on floppy.
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I had to boot my PC into DOS to make an Akai floppy OS disk, wouldn't work in Windows.

Now.... anyone seeing this thread that has an e6400 Ultra w/expansion options, an XT Ultra, or a Platinum, or if you know someone with one who's selling on, contact me =)
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well Brad from Perfect Circuit Audio on ebay has an XT Ultra up for sale
The BIN is $699, which is a bit steep.

I do have to say though I,ve bought a few pieces from Brad in the past
And they,ve always been top notch condition.

LK
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

If that had a couple of expansion options on it to where it were near Platinum-like, I'd consider it. Hmm...
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If that had a couple of expansion options on it to where it were near Platinum-like, I'd consider it. Hmm...
I,d say finding a Platinum is going to be next to Impossible
I,ve never seen one on ebay.

the xt ultras are more common, they pop up quite a lot on ebay

LK
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

I'm tempted to BIN on that XT Ultra but I just can't swing that much for it. I'll probably wait and see if someone has one for a bit cheaper. I'd snag the Platinum easily though.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I've owned a E4XT Ultra and a E64 for over 10 years. They are great steady hardware products, and I've used them alot on tour as in studios . ONCE in over ten years my E4XT Ultra needed a new boot flash simm. Compare that to any software product. ONCE in ten years. Get one. You'll like working with it and they sound great too.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have the E5000 Ultra with 4.07 os and an 80gig hard drive and love it! I paid $50 at the pawn shop for it ad/da converters on it really warm up the sound, i dont have the rfx32 card but i wish i did.
I read somewhere else that with the rfx card it turns it into a Kyma like system! Hands down its the best sampler ive ever used, its very easy to get around in the os and its very well laid out! The only problem with mine is that i havent been able to find the right scsi drive for it, this site is pretty good forbany type if info

http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/

Neb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search