The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
How much is an Emu E4XT Ultra worth?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear
In today's computer world the advantages that the ultra holds over the classic E4 series is pretty slim IMO, unless you want to use it as a stand-alone piece live with an RFX card built in.

I'd save the hundreds of dollars difference and pick up an E4XT classic.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
I would not be surprised at all. They are really high quality machines and they sound amazing. This is also true for the non Ultra E4's. Those can be had for sometimes as low as $50.00. It's madness.

Here is a chart showing the differences in the Ultra models ~~~~> Synthony Music's Synth & Midi Museum
Yup! I paid a $100 for my E6400 with internal drive. (how do I check the size?) plus 5 CDs and CD-R. Good deal. : )
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

I paid 180 euros for an E6400 Ultra with 128Mb RAM, internal HD, SCSI CD-Drive, quite some CDs and a case for it.

I think that was a good deal, but you can find them for not much more than that.

If you ask me, they are underrated, as they can do everything the Proteus 2000 series can.
In my opinion, the only plus of the Proteus 2000 series is that you can use the ROMs in the Command Stations, and those are really cool sequencers.
But if it wasn't for that, I would have sold my Proteus 2000 for quite a while...
I paid 110 euros for that one and think the E6400 kicks its ass completely...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Love my E4!

Get one. Their brilliant.

alexP
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero View Post
I have the E5000 Ultra with 4.07 os and an 80gig hard drive and love it! I paid $50 at the pawn shop for it ad/da converters on it really warm up the sound, i dont have the rfx32 card but i wish i did.
I read somewhere else that with the rfx card it turns it into a Kyma like system!

Neb
Woah, nice price for an ultra!

I have a 6400 non-ultra and really like it. It was cheap, but not that cheap! I'm a big fan of the modulation system.

I remember reading something about the vocoder on the RFX that seemed really interesting or potentially powerful, but I've never heard the RFX in action. It does seem to sell for more than the sampler itself though!
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

I recently purchased an E4XT ultra off ebay for $320 + $25 shipping. No RFX card. If you are dying for the RFX card then be sure to get one with it because it's tough to find upgrades for these things.

Keep your eye out on ebay and craigslist, good deals pop up from time to time. I'm definitely going to get another one of these at some point. I want lots and lots of emu sampler outputs

Here's the ebay auction I won: How much is an Emu E4XT Ultra worth?http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OC:US:3160

Last edited by padillac; 13th September 2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: added link to more info
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

I used to own an E4XT Ultra with the E-Synth ROM expansion and RE-FX. It was the heart of my first studio. Amazing machine.

6 years ago, I sold it to buy NI Komplete 4.

I still cry sometimes when I think about it.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I used to own an E4XT Ultra with the E-Synth ROM expansion and RE-FX. It was the heart of my first studio. Amazing machine.

6 years ago, I sold it to buy NI Komplete 4.

I still cry sometimes when I think about it.
Here I am, 2019, and I can share this: the E4XT Ultra and the E4XT are simply amazing machines: add this to your laptop and for 500 dollars you have 128 voices that do not need to use your CPU. Sometimes, we forget this fact.

Using your VST instruments to design sounds and then have the ability to have the sound controlled by having re-sampled and added tone and effects shaping all dynamically responsive is great. I own a modern laptop with 32GB and all that with Native Instruments but I cannot get that polyphony level and it does matter (unless you do a lot of tracks and pre-mix them as stem mixes).

I have two Emus - one a Hollywood Gold E4XT and the other an E4XT Ultra with the RFX32 card. Not selling the the Ultra /RFX but may consider selling the Gold version although I still have yet to be convinced that this would be a good decision!

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search