New Moog synth hardware!
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

New Moog synth hardware!

Come on Moog release the specs

Moog MINITAUR
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict

a clear pic would be a good start even if we don't have the specs...
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaralli View Post
Come on Moog release the specs

Moog MINITAUR
If it is 2 OSC, no patch memory, I'm there. Single Osc, I'd have to think about it.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

•100% analog audio signal path based on Taurus I and Taurus III synthesizers.
•2 Taurus VCOs with variable Glide amount •Sawtooth (original Taurus) or Square waveform selection for both VCOs •External Audio Input •Headphone out •2 Mixer VCAs for setting the level of the VCOs •1 VCF Moog/Taurus-style Ladder Filter w/ VC Resonance •1 VCA •Two Minimoog-style ADSR Envelope generators with the Decay and Release segments controlled by the Decay knob plus a Release On/Off switch
•1 MIDI-syncable triangle wave LFO for modulating VCF/VCOs •DIN MIDI In and MIDI over USB out
Features
•100% analog audio signal path based on Taurus I/ Taurus III synthesizers.

•2 Taurus VCOs with variable Glide amount

•Sawtooth (original Taurus) or Square waveform selection for both VCOs

•External Audio Input

•Headphone out

•2 Mixer VCAs for setting the level of the VCOs

•1 VCF Moog/Taurus-style Ladder Filter w/ VC Resonance

•1 VCA

•Two Minimoog-style Envelope generators for modulating the VCF and VCA: ADSR with the Decay and Release segments controlled by the Decay control, and with the Release segment enabled or disabled with the Release On/Off switch

•1 MIDI-syncable triangle wave LFO for modulating VCF/VCOs

•DIN MIDI in and out and MIDI over USB out

from the moog homepage...price looks very good too
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

I wonder how it sounds compared to the rest of the Moog stuff? How close is the Taurus and Voyager in sound?

Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Meh
Old 4th January 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-d-S View Post
a clear pic would be a good start even if we don't have the specs...
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

It's just another ultra-limited and overpriced monophonic Moog synth... Why???

I bet this is their next glorious project:

Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

hehe, maybe their just into the App market now ... pure analog apps
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

How many people are going to complain that the Taurus image should have been an actual Minotaur?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

What a stunning lack of imagination
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why???
because at an rrp of $599 this will sell, i imagine theres a whole bunch of folk that want some moog action but cant afford a voyager(i count myself as one of those).It also has seperate controls for cut off and res which was my main turn off from the LP/sp synths.
Obviously its too early to tell but i for one am a little excited and tempted by this.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe you have to add water so it can grow into a full polysynth
Old 4th January 2012
ValhallaDSP

So, it's a midi-controllable, compact Moog synth, based on the Taurus signal path, and the one site with pre-orders lists this for $599...

What about that isn't there to love??!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. Put this next to a laptop and Firewire interface, use it to add analog mojo to a mix (what I like to call the "hero" notes), and you've got something incredible.

It is also worth noting that a minitaur-itzed analog board like this would be an excellent first step towards getting a modular voice board for a future poly. Just throwing that out there.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Me like!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Me like!!!
Me too!

I'll order one as soon as it becomes available!
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Any guesses as to how high a frequency the LFO can go to? Audio rate?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
because at an rrp of $599 this will sell, i imagine theres a whole bunch of folk that want some moog action but cant afford a voyager(i count myself as one of those).It also has seperate controls for cut off and res which was my main turn off from the LP/sp synths.
Obviously its too early to tell but i for one am a little excited and tempted by this.
Please...this synth is more an "audio generator" for 60s scientific experiments, than a ...synthesizer... For 600 euros or a bit higher, someone can choose from many other analogue synth products which are definitely better IN EVERY ASPECT!

Enough with that "sound over features" crap... Modern Moogs will never sound like the dirty, full of character, unstable beasts of the past to justify all this money for a synthesizer bass machine capable of about 15 different sounds...
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear
i'm very tempted. a moog synth for around £400!

it's between this and the Vermona mono lancet.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, it's a midi-controllable, compact Moog synth, based on the Taurus signal path, and the one site with pre-orders lists this for $599...

Seriously. Put this next to a laptop and Firewire interface, use it to add analog mojo to a mix (what I like to call the "hero" notes), and you've got something incredible.

It is also worth noting that a minitaur-itzed analog board like this would be an excellent first step towards getting a modular voice board for a future poly. Just throwing that out there.
Wholeheartedly agree, I also think when you look at the price/specs etc it seems that they are trying to get some of the market share from the dsi and dark energy synths which seem to have done very well.This seems like good business sense.I do understand that others will be dissappointed, probably hoping for some monster polysynth but its worth remembering that we are still all in a very precarious financial situation.I had planned to pull the pin on a dark energy this month but now im all in a dither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post

I agree. This will now be the simplest and cheapest way to add authentic (new) Moog sound to one's rig. If it really goes for $599, I imagine it will sell extremely well and become a staple of the small, home EM studio.
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

$600 lol lol lol lol

Moog is officially the Apple of synths.

For each one of these you buy a hipster gets his beard.

Two beards if you connect it to a MBP

Three if all this happens in Portland
Old 4th January 2012
Deleted User
Interesting. But I wonder if not the LP gives more value for the money: Programmable, a lot of controllers and options - and in the same universe of price range (if this new gadget is $599).

Not so familiar with the difference of the signal between Taurus and Phatties?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
Please...this synth is more an "audio generator" for 60s scientific experiments, than a ...synthesizer...
You've already played one, touched one, tinkered with a Minitaur?

Quote:
For 600 euros or a bit higher, someone can choose from many other analogue synth products which are definitely better IN EVERY ASPECT!
But will it have the letters M-O-O-G printed on it?

Quote:
Modern Moogs will never sound like the dirty, full of character, unstable beasts of the past to justify all this money for a synthesizer bass machine capable of about 15 different sounds...
Yes, the heyday synths of the past are holy relics and modern stuff is just crap.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
What a stunning lack of imagination
+1. Very disappointing. Folks have been calling for a true polyphonic Moog for years now. Looking forward to the SO4V.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
i'm very tempted. a moog synth for around £400!

it's between this and the Vermona mono lancet.
Well...IMO, it's only Vermona Mono Lancet. Mono Lancet has a BIG creamy moogish sound, a noise source, a triangle wave and keyboard tracking...it also can be expanded through it's accessory port or simply hacked for analogue FM and I/Os. Minitaur can't even be used as a modular accessory for LP or Voyager...for 600 euros, it doesn't even have CV outs...!!! Why why oh why Moog Music? Isn't it enough with all this profit?

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
But will it have the letters M-O-O-G printed on it?
That's exactly the problem, it's a Moog so it definitely HAS to be good, you know: Moog anyone? That placebo effect is the problem here...
Quote:
someone can choose from many other analogue synth products which are definitely better IN EVERY ASPECT!
We just found out about this thing 5 minutes ago....you haven't even heard the damn thing. So you're just talking crap based on specifications. Ridiculous.
Quote:
Why why oh why Moog Music? Isn't it enough with all this profit?
Are you just now realizing they are a company with employees, and their main goal is to make a profit and stay in business?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
for 600 euros
$599 equates at roughly 460 euros...i just checked

Quote:
Minitaur can't even be used as a modular accessory for LP or Voyager
I really think they are marketing this at people who dont already have any of these synths.As a said in an earlier post it appears price and feature wise to be taking a bite at the Dark energy's market share.
📝 Reply