The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Moog synth hardware!
Old 1st April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Ausgeno! Would you happen to have the OSX version as well by any chance?
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry Fishy, I only downloaded the Windows version.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
I just downloaded the Minitaur Editor straight from the Moog website to check it out but it doesn't seem to be there anymore so here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2661270/Minitaur_Editor_WIN.zip
Hey thanks for that! Lovely graphics...I might "borrow" some of these for my (non-commercial) LP editor! Now, if I could find some sysex info about Little Phatty...
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
No problem!
Old 5th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Video showing the Minitaur controlled from a custom template on an Ipad App;

Old 5th April 2012 | Show parent
ark
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I recently got a Minitaur, and I've figured out how to play it with a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller. It sounds like this:
Old 6th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
I recently got a Minitaur, and I've figured out how to play it with a Yamaha WX-5 wind controller. It sounds like this:
That sounds terrific! Thx for sharing man. Makes me wanna learn how to use a wind controller.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Anybody heard when the next wave of these are shipping? I pre ordered about a month ago from nova musik and I'm definitely living in Antsy Land.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
Video showing the Minitaur controlled from a custom template on an Ipad App;

Damn. That my be my favourite demo for this thing. A lot of stuff gets called phat, but that is phat.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just got the call from the store, my Minitaur is in stock! Getting it after lunch.
Old 18th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
NICE We expect a full report!
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’ve got mine last week.
I haven’t played enough with it to make a full review but I can give you some insights. It’s awesome.
The two oscillators are extremely fat and do not fail to deliver huge low end. The sound is actually clear and punchy. It’s really modern sounding which is good as it’s precise and surgical. The sub-basses that come out of this thing are just insane. They are pure. That being said, the Minitaur does not deliver the vintage analog growl we all like. But that’s good because I have never seen anything that sounds quite like this (never played a Taurus before though). In my case, it is perfect to complete a set of vintage monosynths (MS-20, Model 101, SH-101, 303, MP4…).
The range of the oscillators is much better than I expected and the Minitaur can easily be used for leads.
The 2 envelopes are quite snappy. The LFO as nothing special even though it can go into audio range and it’s midi syncable. The two destinations are the classic VCF and VCO. The VCF is a 24 db Moog filter, nothing new but still great. It’s good that they used a big knob on it as it’s usually the one you might tweak the most. The lack of features on the Minitaur is actually not a problem but you don’t want it to be your only analog synth.
An HPF would have made this synth an absolute killer as it can be hard to tame in the low end department.
I do love this little stuff very much even if I don’t gel with modern Moog sounds. Any comparison to Voyager’s or Phatty’s is irrelevant as they are likes apples and oranges when compared to the Minitaur.
Imho, that’s one of the best synth on the market if you can deal with a limited range of features (ex: No PWM).
Still, when it comes to value for money, it’s an absolute bargain if you ask me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good demo.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Got home late tonight so haven't given it a full caning yet, but so far SO FAT. It sounds like a big, round fat butt. I love how slow the glide and LFO rate can go and how quick the envelopes are, very punchy. I love the cutoff filter, but I'm not entirely sold on the resonance yet - it seems to roll off too much bottom end too quickly for my liking. Maybe I'll get used to it, but even with the resonance on zero the filter sounds wicked compared to some other synths which need a bit of resonance dialled in for the filter to sound sweet. it's built like a tank too.

LFO rate sync via the editor is a nice touch too - wub wub wub... wubwubwubwub... wub wub wub.

Partners in crime, I have a small-synth fetish:

DX7 with a facelift:

I'll try and get some audio demos up asap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll try and get some audio demos up asap.
Cool..

So have you heard anything from the shop about MiniBrute?
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nope, I ordered my Minibrute from Musicians Friend as the US pricing is much cheaper, but I ordered the Minitaur locally as there isn't much of a price difference between Moog stuff from Australia compared to the US.

I'm still expecting the Minibrute to ship 5/28/2012 as per my MF order status. :(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nope, I ordered my Minibrute from Musicians Friend as the US pricing is much cheaper, but I ordered the Minitaur locally as there isn't much of a price difference between Moog stuff from Australia compared to the US.

I'm still expecting the Minibrute to ship 5/28/2012 as per my MF order status. :(
Hey 5/28 is my birthday- maybe they will accidentally ship it to ME!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
An HPF would have made this synth an absolute killer as it can be hard to tame in the low end department.
Quote:
I love the cutoff filter, but I'm not entirely sold on the resonance yet - it seems to roll off too much bottom end too quickly for my liking.
Hard to tame the low end? Add resonance to taste.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
Heh, a Moog tuba.
Old 19th April 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Hard to tame the low end? Add resonance to taste.
Yep, that'll definitely do it. In fact maybe that was the whole intention behind their resonance design.

I made a couple of VERY rough demos late last night while I was farting around with the Minitaur.

This is the Minitaur doing a bassy riff on its own, a tiny splash of delay from the Timefactor and a drum track. I was just testing the automation from Ableton, opening up the filter, and then sweeping Osc 2 from an octave below Osc 1 to an octave above:

Moog Minitaur by Kaarma on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This one is how the Minitaur sounds playing in the upper registers (the trancey lead sound at the start of the track that continues throughout) by cranking the resonance right up:

Moog Minitaur 2 by Kaarma on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

There's a splash of delay on the Minitaur, a drum track, a cheesy bassline from the Tetra and some spooky pad thing from the Blofeld.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A (slightly) better demo of the Minitaur on bassline duties:

Moog Minitaur 3 by Kaarma on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 20th April 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So, Minitaur is great for dubstep and glitch sounds but... I don't like dubstep wobble and bleep & bloop music requires much more effort to make me want to listen to it more than once.

Does anyone have a link to a demo showing Minitaur as a bass synthesizer? Like this Taurus III demo - tuba, taurus, etc?

... for applications in music like this (from around 1:40 mark throughout)

I'm gradually starting to believe that the similarities between Minitaur and Taurus III are no more than carefully dispensed fragmentary truth for marketing purposes. Is there any deep and majestic bass in Minitaur?
Old 6th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
There are multiple ways to automate changes from your DAW.
You can choose MIDI CC numbers in your DAW's automation interface just like normal (although most DAWs don't allow you to automate at 14-bit resolution easily),
you can record MIDI out from hardware knob-tweakings into your DAW and play back (this will be full 14-bit as long as the 'taur is set to send 14-bit data, which you can disable for compatibility with older gear if desired - actually it ships with 7-bit output configured and 14-bit would need to be enabled via sysex, but I digress...)

...also, after the standalone editor is released, we plan to release a VST/AU plugin version, which will greatly simplify the whole DAW thing. This plugin will also be developed in-house by Moog, just as the standalone editor is.

Regarding the pots, no they are not directly hooked to the analog circuits like RAC on the Phatty synths... however there is more going on than just digital scanning and DAC output, we do some hi-tech tricks to get extremely smooth voltage response beyond what your basic DAC is capable of.
So the minitaur is using digital pots ? what do you mean they not directly hooked to the analog circuit , sorry for misunderstanding
Old 6th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry for confusion! The pots are analog. Just like every other synth in the world that has both analog pots and digital control, the analog pots must be scanned by a processor, so that the pot value can be (for example) output as MIDI, or saved as part of a preset, etc... that's all I was trying to describe.

Meanwhile, there's a new version of the Minitaur Editor up... almost ready for release, please try to break it and report back. Thanks!

Moog Music Forum • View topic - Latest, Greatest Minitaur Editor - Get It Here
Old 9th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just a quick confirmation needed as i might pull the trigger on one of these, does it have the ability to store patches???

Also does anyone know what its like for leads sounds?

Thanks
Old 9th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes , you can store patches via the software editor .. the follow up question is : can it understand program change? (and outside the software) ... hence change patches live via prg change message from hardware sequencers ??
Old 9th July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda View Post
Yes , you can store patches via the software editor .. the follow up question is : can it understand program change? (and outside the software) ... hence change patches live via prg change message from hardware sequencers ??
Thanks - no idea on the program change
Old 31st August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I want to get one of these but I've read that Moog have 'plans' for the Minitaur, and I'm wondering if they will release one with pulse width modulation at some stage. Obviously if that was on the cards, I'd wait. Anyone have any speculation on what they might mean?

Also, to anyone that has the unit, are the square waves kinda dull or is it just the demos I've heard? They seem kind of pointless on their own or something, but obviously I haven't heard them in person yet.

cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller View Post
I want to get one of these but I've read that Moog have 'plans' for the Minitaur, and I'm wondering if they will release one with pulse width modulation at some stage. Obviously if that was on the cards, I'd wait. Anyone have any speculation on what they might mean?
I highly doubt any hardware redesign or additional will be coming anytime soon. The thing JUST came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller View Post
Also, to anyone that has the unit, are the square waves kinda dull or is it just the demos I've heard? They seem kind of pointless on their own or something, but obviously I haven't heard them in person yet.
The squares are anything but dull. I mean, this is all obviously subjective, and you should definitely hear one for yourself, but I think the MT sounds better than the LP and I have heard some say it sounds better than the Voyager, despite the low cost and relative limits of the unit.

Again, check it out for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Again, check it out for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers, will do.
📝 Reply