The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Moog synth hardware!
Old 8th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
When is this amazing little box going to available?
You can get yours now
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After listening to this further, it sounds a bit farty. Lots of low-mid muffle? Maybe it's 32 saw or something?

Can it do punchy/precise bass?
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Not sure if this was posted already..

Old 8th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalosc View Post

now i want a Korg MonoPoly.
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
Can it do punchy/precise bass?
some dry sequenced bass in this clip, has some punchy moments:

Sounds to me like this uses both oscillators most or all the time.
It's tempting with 2 oscs to always use them, but for really tight punchy stuff sometimes 1 osc does even better
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Around 1:44 is a cool electro tone, similar to what I use for my "fun" songs.

It still seems heavy in the low-mid region; a roaring low end. I suppose I could eq that out, but I'm looking for a naturally plucked/rounded bass for my ambient-electro stuff. The lancet does that well, but the minitaur has farrrr superior midi capability.

Could you make / do you have any samples of a plucked bass sound from the minitaur
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
Sounds to me like this uses both oscillators most or all the time.
It's tempting with 2 oscs to always use them, but for really tight punchy stuff sometimes 1 osc does even better
I know one of the features of the minitaur is supposed to be something where it syncs, or re-triggers the oscs with each hit to tighten up using two oscs on it. Do you know if that was used in this clip? If not, it's possible for it to sound tighter, I guess.

Personally, I did like the sound from :46 to :50 and 1:41 to 1:45 That reminded me a bit of the old Moroder stuff. It had a nice bounce and weight to it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 14th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good demo here;

And this guy has been doing some good demos on Soundcloud;

EMwhite's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 14th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sounds great. A demo of classic long envelope attack ultra low bass drones would be nice too. I'd be completely happy to use a Minitaur just for that but it does so much more...
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sonic Labs review is up!!

Now I really can't wait for mine to arrive!
Old 17th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can I post another demo?

http://seamslikereality.com/moog/Min...d_Jam_2min.mp3

this is the minitaur CV sequenced from FR Orb, which is also clocking a couple of bent drum machines. minitaur is sidechained to the kick via an alesis 3630 with all the knobs set wrong. there's some eerie noise from a Voyager in the background sometimes. this is a longer edit of the 'acid jam' track from the official demos.
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The feedback demo in the sonic demo sounded awesome. So much more to this thing than i thought
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's looking like earlier April at the earliest for us guys in the UK, but that;s only the first small batch is the message I'm getting from outlets. Might be May/june before we can get our hands on this thing!!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalosc View Post

Old 22nd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK, I went to the Musikmesse today and played with the Minitaur. I can attest that it has an AMAZING bass which has nothing to do with the Little Phatty for example...I tested them side by side...the Phatty does more stuff of course but the bass from the Minitaur is simply UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

...and that's my dirty hand on the Moog!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Moog synth hardware!-img_8306.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
OK, I went to the Musikmesse today and played with the Minitaur. I can attest that it has an AMAZING bass which has nothing to do with the Little Phatty for example...I tested them side by side...the Phatty does more stuff of course but the bass from the Miniataur is simply UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

...and that's my dirty hand on the Moog!!!
It shall be like that! It's a bass synth after all...I don't know if all that bottom end is useful inside a mix though. LP has already got big bass.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
LP has already got big bass.
Minitaur goes to 11
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
Sonic Labs review is up!!

Now I really can't wait for mine to arrive!

really nice review i must say. the guy isnt tuned into all praise and kind of sensibly covers the pros and cons. all together i like how this thing sounds and features it has.

and for me personally, its biggest selling point is its a DE FACTO preset memory capable moog bass synth.

tho im not sure if one can automate these preset changes on the fly from the DAW, without having to switch to choosing things with mouse in the moogs GUI.. Amos, could you possibly answer this ? thanks

and the fact they used NRPNs to get whopping 14bit resolution on tweaking knobs.... now this is BIG!!! a mere midi cc with its 127 values is totally unapropriate for tweaking analogueness..

which brings me to another question: i presume this resolution is only relevant for transfer to/from the midi/daw, i.e. automation. but turning the pot yourself on the minitaur works directly on the sound circuit, completely smoothly, without being "translated" via 14bit multiplexers or whatnot? so it works like old CV monoynths... would this be correct?

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
tho im not sure if one can automate these preset changes on the fly from the DAW, without having to switch to choosing things with mouse in the moogs GUI.. Amos, could you possibly answer this ? thanks
There are multiple ways to automate changes from your DAW.
You can choose MIDI CC numbers in your DAW's automation interface just like normal (although most DAWs don't allow you to automate at 14-bit resolution easily),
you can record MIDI out from hardware knob-tweakings into your DAW and play back (this will be full 14-bit as long as the 'taur is set to send 14-bit data, which you can disable for compatibility with older gear if desired - actually it ships with 7-bit output configured and 14-bit would need to be enabled via sysex, but I digress...)

...also, after the standalone editor is released, we plan to release a VST/AU plugin version, which will greatly simplify the whole DAW thing. This plugin will also be developed in-house by Moog, just as the standalone editor is.

Regarding the pots, no they are not directly hooked to the analog circuits like RAC on the Phatty synths... however there is more going on than just digital scanning and DAC output, we do some hi-tech tricks to get extremely smooth voltage response beyond what your basic DAC is capable of.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
It shall be like that! It's a bass synth after all...I don't know if all that bottom end is useful inside a mix though. LP has already got big bass.
LP does indeed have a big bass, but I have a feeling this is going to smoke it in the sub department.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
LP does indeed have a big bass, but I have a feeling this is going to smoke it in the sub department.
Well for me, after yesterday it's not just a feeling...
Old 25th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amusing new Minitaur video from Moog

Old 26th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another Moog vid heavily featuring Minitaur. I like the Rhodes Piano through Minitaur filter. Sounds really nice;

Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
this sound....

Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jordan Rudess puts one in his butt... uh, pocket.

Old 30th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweeeet resonance!

I don't like the bald goat though...he is like the rickroll of the synth world.
Old 31st March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Does anyone know how to get the Minitaur Editor? Would be great to try checking out some of the under the hood stuff and also save some patches
Old 31st March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 View Post
Does anyone know how to get the Minitaur Editor? Would be great to try checking out some of the under the hood stuff and also save some patches
Send them an email..I think it's still in beta...
Old 1st April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
sounds like a good idea, I'll send one over now
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just downloaded the Minitaur Editor straight from the Moog website to check it out but it doesn't seem to be there anymore so here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2661270/Minitaur_Editor_WIN.zip
πŸ“ Reply