The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Poly evolver or prohet 08' for electronic music??
Old 1st January 2012
Here for the gear

Poly evolver or prohet 08' for electronic music??

Hi,

Could you advise me which synth to buy to make electronic music? I'm thinking between the poly evolver and the prophet 08. It is to make electro, detroit techno and IDM.
I have little experience in dealing with any so what is the most adsequible for a beginner? I have a microKORG and no more.
I think I prefer the poly evolver but I have not decided yet.
I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

thanks!
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Maniac

The Poly Evolver is a much more powerful synth. IMO I I like the Poly Evolver much better!
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear
I had a Polyevolver myself, and sold it recently because i wasn't pleased with it for bass duties. It can do very good bass, but not good enough.
Other than that - it's an amazing synth. You start programming it and you finally find out 3 hours passed :-)

Having said that, the prophet can be very useful for electronic music:

Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

Had both, the pro 8 went the polyevolver stayed, lots more under the hood.

LK
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Addict

Yer I had a pro 8 an sold it. Wasn't keen on the pots at all, I think they've changed em now mind
Old 1st January 2012
There is no better or worse. When you say electronic music presumably you mean some sort of sequenced dance music. The original "electronic" dance music was often made on the cheapest gear because those making the music did not have the money for the better sounding instruments. Take for instance the TR x0xs from Roland. Unquestionably they were considered toys in their day. The genre of music that arose from their sound and limitations was simply people being creative with what they had.

THIS IS THE CRUX OF THE ISSUE. STOP ASKING WHAT'S THE BEST FOR THIS OR THAT BECAUSE THE ANSWER IS WHATEVER YOU HAVE!!!!! NO BOX WILL HELP YOU CREATE ANYTHING. FIRST THING, GET TO WORK AND STOP ASKING SUCH QUESTIONS......
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Unquestionably they were considered toys in their day.
I disagree, the x0x's were affordable, but I don't think anyone in that day considered them any less than professional.
Old 1st January 2012
Mmm

honestly - for those forms of music - I wouldnt get either.

I would get a good softsynth with interesting synthesis like Largo / or Gladiator 2 plus the OP-X which will give you great analogue synth/pad sounds -> then add a nice analogue monosynth such as a Moog Little/Slim Phatty or Roland SH101/SH09/SH2 (for bass/lead/blips)...

Im personally not too fond of the DSI sound. Aside from not sound that good - (unless you like clangy industrial music) the Poly Evolver is quite complicated for a beginner....

Buying a good softsynth and with some good presets to get you going (like Soundsdivine or Lotuzia) - and a simple but powerful sounding analogue mono synth for your bass can get you a long way in modern electronic music. Limiting yourself to one expensive same-sounding synth for the budget Im not sure is the best path.
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Guru

I have a mono Evolver desktop and a Prophet '08 and IMO they're so different it's a hard question to answer. My P'08 probably gets more use overall and is especially good for bread 'n butter sounds, but the Evolver's more complex wave forms (digital) and architecture make it great for more complicated sounds. It depends on how you like to make music. I think for me the Evolver gets less use because it's so suited for complex sounds and for me I'd rather keep more complexity in the composition and keep the sounds simpler.

That said, a Polyphonic Evolver can probably cover a lot of the basic Prophet stuff anyway, so maybe the best answer is to get the PE and then maybe supplement it with an analog monosynth at some later point in time. I think the MoPHo is destined to be a classic. I hear people say they don't like it and that leaves me scratching my head. I've got one and I put it up against my new Phatty last night and I'd be hard pressed to say which one is "better." Both have nice qualities to them, both have limitations.
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyforsluts View Post
I disagree, the x0x's were affordable, but I don't think anyone in that day considered them any less than professional.
I remember my local music shop trying to sell a 303 for £25, they couldn't move it.
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Mmm

honestly - for those forms of music - I wouldnt get either.

I would get a good softsynth with interesting synthesis like Largo / or Gladiator 2 plus the OP-X which will give you great analogue synth/pad sounds -> then add a nice analogue monosynth such as a Moog Little/Slim Phatty or Roland SH101/SH09/SH2 (for bass/lead/blips)...

Im personally not too fond of the DSI sound. Aside from not sound that good - (unless you like clangy industrial music) the Poly Evolver is quite complicated for a beginner....

Buying a good softsynth and with some good presets to get you going (like Soundsdivine or Lotuzia) - and a simple but powerful sounding analogue mono synth for your bass can get you a long way in modern electronic music. Limiting yourself to one expensive same-sounding synth for the budget Im not sure is the best path.
+1 an analog mono + some Vst's like zebra or strobe will get you alot more than a p08 or evolver will. On the other hand if you really dig the modern DSI sound then go for it
Old 1st January 2012
Lives for gear

apparently this is all Poly Evolver, if that helps.
Old 2nd January 2012
Deleted User
Prophet 08 has a 100% analog signal path - if you are some sort of pure analog lover as I am, sort of.

Poly Evolver is a Prophet 08 plus some additional digital oscillators - and therefore has more under the hood.
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I remember my local music shop trying to sell a 303 for £25, they couldn't move it.
That doesn't make them any less than professional.
Old 2nd January 2012
I really don't want to get off topic - because it's already been discussed to death in other threads - but as much as we revere the x0x series today, their real usefulness proved to be very different than what Roland originally intended. You could maybe call the later members of the series "professional," but the earlier ones were cheap, quirky toys that didn't sell well or find much use in the music of the time. Not saying they didn't go on to change music - they did - just not the day they came out.

OP - I like to put both salt and pepper in my food. And while they're both "seasonings," they're not the same thing, nor were they designed for the same purpose. Figure out a way to get your hands on them and you'll see.
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Nut

here is a track done almost entirely with the Evolver except for drums and bass, ended up calling it Evolver. The link is download enabled if you'd like to listen to the Evolver in an electronic track. The poly is the same sound but poly.
Evolver - Radio Edit (download this radio promo!) by superstringz on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 19th February 2012

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search