The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it worth getting a Roland D-110 if you already have a D-550 (and a VC-1 card too)?
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Is it worth getting a Roland D-110 if you already have a D-550 (and a VC-1 card too)?

Hi

I'm getting a Roland D-110 tomorrow or earlier next week (it was already sent to me today, so I just have to wait for it...), but I'm not sure if it will be worth keeping it, as I already have a Roland D-550 (with some extra sound cards), and a Roland VC-1 card for my Roland V-Synth and Roland VariOS.

I got it because it was part of a pack, and it was much more worth getting the whole pack than just the part I really wanted, and I was also a bit curious to test the D-110...
I know it is multitimbral, unlike the D-550, but apart from that, I don't get anything extra and the sound and possibilities are worse, right?

Thanks in advance,
Best

Paulo
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I've never seen the point in amassing same brand rack mount gear. ie 'rack-a- <insert favourite manufactuer>'

The D50 was always a better sounding synth than the D10 (apart from the multi timbral capabilities). Its kinda like adding a DX27 to a DX7IID.

Personally, I'd sell it and get something with a different flavour, in the same price range. Perhaps a TX81Z or ESQ-M or something.
Old 22nd December 2011
Mr Arkadin
Don't even plug it in. The D-10 is the only synth I've ever sold and I love Roland kit. The D-50/550 kills it in every respect.
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I use my D110 pretty often, but you may not use it at all - it has pretty annoying partial structure. Anyway, it can produce some really nice gritty lofi sounds of warp era
Old 31st December 2011
Deleted User
No. All you can do with a D-110 can be done with a D-550, but much much better. Except that the D-110 is multi timbral and you can stack up to 8 parts to a pretty good sound.

I had D-550 and D-110 at the same time, for many years. Still love them booth, they are great synths. But it ended up in selling the D-110 because the reason I mentioned above. Finally I also sold the D-550 - had no place for all good stuff when moving from a large house with a lot of space to a small downtown-apartment.
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

I also sold my D110 that I bought new a decade and a half ago (possibly longer).
It was a royla pain in the ass to program and navigate, but it did have a few really interesting factory sounds and features if you were able to hit the right combination of buttons whilst standing on your head and shaking your left foot. I was actually thinking about grabbing another one. It is after all true LA synthesis. I was more immediate back them,, I'm much more patient now. However,, the big thing to know about the D110 is the noise floor..It's inherently very noisy. It gets much quieter if you turn off it's very mediocre on board effects. I must confess to using it very little on anything I did back then. It was one of the very first multi timbrla 1u boxes, and people that were starting out could do entire arrangements on it including percussion..Also, it has a bunch of separate audio outs instead of just stereo lr. In my world, it was quickly upstaged by the advent of the Emu Proteus 1
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

I like the percussion on it, it's all over New Order's 'Technique' album. The menu navigation is a head scratcher though, I'm glad I didn't buy one as my first synth.
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I like the percussion on it, it's all over New Order's 'Technique' album. The menu navigation is a head scratcher though, I'm glad I didn't buy one as my first synth.
interesting. It appeared in a very distinct period. But with that I mean, almost a period of stagnation in terms of electronic instruments. It's interesting the New Order used it, but that's what people do when something new hits the streets. I found it "thin" before I was aware what thin was, or had the sensibility to identify thin in reference to anything else and then rate it. All I knew was that my TX7 and DX9, ate it for breakfast in terms of FMish percussive sounds, and It couldn't be anything like my MKS80 which in my mind was older technology. I just continued to use what naturally sounded good. It was kind of sub standard jack of all trades master of none. A D50, no. You mentioned percussion,, there were a couple of interesting sounds there, but they always had a kind of one dimensional character to them. In the right place,, you could use the D110 effectively. That never really happened for me. I have to honestly say that I probably didn't give it the attention that I could have before writing it off.
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

The D110 doesn't sound at all bad, especially if you have the patience to actually program it.
Which I don't, because programming it is a total nightmare. I don't think mine has been out of the cupboard in 10+ years..
Attempting to staple my gonads to the tyre of a moving truck would be a more enjoyable experience than trying to program the D110.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llitsor View Post
The D110 doesn't sound at all bad, especially if you have the patience to actually program it.
Which I don't, because programming it is a total nightmare. I don't think mine has been out of the cupboard in 10+ years..
Attempting to staple my gonads to the tyre of a moving truck would be a more enjoyable experience than trying to program the D110.
Programming Yamaha DX7 is a breeze compared to D110. I bet 99% users used original patches and sysex dump
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear
Have to say I quite liked the d10 and didn't find it hard to program at all, but this was a long time ago to be fair (early 90s).
Old 19th May 2014
I just discovered this whole album was recorded with the D-110 (back in '91). Pretty impressive.
Magick | Tim Blake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUJF1eOYdc
Old 19th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I've never seen the point in amassing same brand rack mount gear. ie 'rack-a- <insert favourite manufactuer>'
I've got the MKS-7, 20, 30, 50, 70 and two 80s (in addition to the D-110), and the only sonic overlap there is between the 7 and the 30. (But the 7's a 4-part multitimbral preset box while the 30's fully programmable.)

Just because they're the same brand doesn't mean they sound the same.

That said, the D-110 and D-550 specifically are architecturally similar enough that I probably wouldn't have both.

Back in the Atari days, the D-110 was a breeze to program with software editors. I have had terrible luck with software editors for Windows, though, and have resorted to using hardware editors exclusively. I definitely wouldn't have a D-110 without the PG-10. Otherwise it's just an "almost GM" preset box.
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

I ended up getting rid of it, and think it was a good decision

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search