The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wavetable Deathmatch: Waldorf Microwave XTK vs Waldorf Blofeld
Old 24th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
The Solaris has the Waldorf wavetables and I believe that it can sound pretty damn good.
Agreed! It's just a ton of loot. Way more than the blofeld.
Old 24th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
Offtopic: How does the Kawaii K1 compare to these synths ? Isnt that a wavetable synth or am I mistaken ?
It's pretty much a rompler which can do some very basic additive synthesis if you stick to the synth waves. It's a great synth, but wavetable scanning it can not do. Though I'd totally love to make a custom wavetable for my Blofeld using the synth waves in the K1.
Old 26th September 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Why can't the new synth ever sound BETTER than the old vintage version??!!??
Better is in the eyes of the beholder. It's hard to look past nostalgia. I don't personally think the XT sounds all that great. Not now. Not then. I think some older wavetable synths that used analog filters do fare better, but mainly because no one currently makes a wavetable synth with analog oscillators... except maybe the Prophet 12, which really isn't a wavetable synth in the way the Walforfs are. Imagine an 8 voice synth with the oscillator engine of the Blofeld and the filters from the Pulse 2. Now that would be something.
Old 26th September 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Imagine an 8 voice synth with the oscillator engine of the Blofeld and the filters from the Pulse 2. Now that would be something.
Yeah, but it seems you never get THAT thing with new gear. It's always something, like the "Blofeld sounds great but it has shoddy encoders," it's time the new gear starts blowing away the old stuff !!
Old 27th September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
The consensus on the Facebook Blofeld user group, is that far more people have encoders that work flawlessly, than those who have issues.
Mine are going on my White Blofeld keyboard BUT it is from three years of continuous programming! I hear way more complaints about synching up the arpegiator with a computer. I vote with my pocketbook, and I now have 2 Blokeys and 1 module! But as always, YMMV!

Quote:
Yeah, but it seems you never get THAT thing with new gear. It's always something, like the "Blofeld sounds great but it has shoddy encoders," it's time the new gear starts blowing away the old stuff !!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
The consensus on the Facebook Blofeld user group, is that far more people have encoders that work flawlessly, than those who have issues.
Mine are going on my White Blofeld keyboard BUT it is from three years of continuous programming! I hear way more complaints about synching up the arpegiator with a computer. I vote with my pocketbook, and I now have 2 Blokeys and 1 module! But as always, YMMV!
Cmon Dude. This is Gearslutz. What did you expect? Of course I jumped to a conclusion based on five seconds skimming one angry post.
Deleted User
This will be about 5 seconds of reading! The Blofeld RULES!

Quote:
Cmon Dude. This is Gearslutz. What did you expect? Of course I jumped to a conclusion based on five seconds skimming one angry post.
Lives for gear

Quote:
This will be about 5 seconds of reading! The Blofeld RULES!
I really, really want a DIGITAL synth. Should I get the bloboard?
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
imo, get MW and a sysex capable controller like Remote SL, and you're in business. if you need more poly get two. theyre ourageously cheap for a wavetable hybrid with real analog filters. also, if having two different wavetables simultaneously is huge for you, altough not equally flexible, its possible to layer things in MW, so you can do it with two single osc sounds layered with half poly.
The SL is the basic he can get, he's only going to scratch the surface of the MW with it, tho.

I've requested a quote for a knob per function custom controller, but it was a very expensive project:

''The Microwave's patch got 165 parameters. For many paras (On/Off) it would make much sense to have a simple switch, others would need special stepped turn switches (e.g. LFO waveform). A display would be very helpful. The whole thing would eat up at least a month of time, lots of material, knobs, case, electronics, facepanel ... maybe sth between 4000 and 6000, and the whole monster would be a square meter of size.''

I've tested the demo of Monstrumwave and it's really good, it's not as sexy as a knob/switch per function, but it felt like I was playing a new synth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarSnafu View Post
I forgot how much I enjoy the "sqirql" and "dugugug" noises of wavetable synths.

Are there any soundsets for *any* soft synth that are filled with just these types of sounds? It might encourage me to buy it.
eh.. i dunno, but Falcon is pretty insane for wavetable stuff.
Deleted User
Quote:
I really, really want a DIGITAL synth. Should I get the bloboard?
I can't say it would be right for you, but for me it was! I have spent many many hours programming and experimenting with its deep interface. It offers a great deal of power,even with the filter disabled. Filter modes such as sineshaper can give you some interesting FM modes. Tonight I wrote a patch with the square filter mode, something I have not used before! Think of the Blofeld as a 200 in 1 electronics kit, where you wire stuff together in a virtual manner, to create different patches for compositions.....oh and if Waldorf had only ever introduced the module only, chances are I would have not bought one back in 2013. Sure keyboards take up more room, but it is about space , not time that matters to me. Ymmv
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't say it would be right for you, but for me it was! I have spent many many hours programming and experimenting with its deep interface. It offers a great deal of power,even with the filter disabled. Filter modes such as sineshaper can give you some interesting FM modes. Tonight I wrote a patch with the square filter mode, something I have not used before! Think of the Blofeld as a 200 in 1 electronics kit, where you wire stuff together in a virtual manner, to create different patches for compositions.....oh and if Waldorf had only ever introduced the module only, chances are I would have not bought one back in 2013. Sure keyboards take up more room, but it is about space , not time that matters to me. Ymmv
I'm more of a player than a sound designer. I have been known to preset surf (shhhhh!). The sledge actually looks super interesting to me, like much of the blofeld vibe but a better fit for quick on the fly programming.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Bought a microwave 2 this month. Sound is so stunning and I pretty much leave the aliasing parameter turned up to 3 all the time.

I was advised to buy this as I write industrial and the blofeld might have been too clean, I'm very very happy.

Will be starting to run it through eurorack filters soon!
Likewise I bought a Microwave XT this month. It has that great gritty wavetable sound I was looking for. I used to have a Blofeld years ago but didn't like its UI so sold it along with a Pulse 2 to help fund a Nord Lead A1, which I still love.
Old 10th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
I do have Largo and PPG 3. I'll probably remove the Waldorf waves from the MicroMonsta at some point to maximize my scope, but for some reason it seemed like the thing to do.

I just remember synth shopping and coming across the XT. I played with it for quite a while... left with an Ensoniq TS-10. I still tend to lean toward a more hi-fi wavetable type of sound. Thought about an Ambika at some point, but that sound's not for me. Serum is awesome, though I've never run any of the Waldorf wavetables into it, I have put in some old Ensoniq Transwaves to approximate that sound. Codex is great too when you want something simple and fast to work in.

Yeah, I admit it. I'm addicted to wavetable synths. At one point I bought an XITE-1 just to build my own wavetable synths in it's modular environment. I got some pretty awesome stuff. One day I'll get the gumption up to buy a Fizmo.
Skip the Fizmo...Crippled interface, thin wavetables. The XTK is way better.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION View Post
Skip the Fizmo...Crippled interface, thin wavetables. The XTK is way better.
Actually, I found my hardware wavetable synth in the Audiothingies Micromonsta. Sounds great. Cheap as hell. I like the sound of it way more than the XT.
Gear Addict

Quote:
... mainly because no one currently makes a wavetable synth with analog oscillators...
YM analog filters, not oscillators, right? There's always the Ambika / Tubika. It has quite a number of subtle and not-so-subtle wavetables and some really nice filters available.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b5734b5 View Post
The SL is the basic he can get, he's only going to scratch the surface of the MW with it, tho.
Eh, the SL will allow you to access all the same parameters as the 1st party knobs on the XT, with the caveat that you will probably need two pages to fit in everything. I use two Remote Zero SL's side by side so everything is on one page with no tabbing. I am thinking of adding a second page to this.

If anything, the SL allows you to have dedicated knobs for stuff like mod control parameters, instead of being forced to menu dive for that stuff as on with the XT knobs.
Old 11th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Actually, I found my hardware wavetable synth in the Audiothingies Micromonsta. Sounds great. Cheap as hell. I like the sound of it way more than the XT.
Not familiar with that, but i am in love with the XTK. Gorgeous Synth!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Sound View Post

I've requested a quote for a knob per function custom controller, but it was a very expensive project:

''The Microwave's patch got 165 parameters. For many paras (On/Off) it would make much sense to have a simple switch, others would need special stepped turn switches (e.g. LFO waveform). A display would be very helpful. The whole thing would eat up at least a month of time, lots of material, knobs, case, electronics, facepanel ... maybe sth between 4000 and 6000, and the whole monster would be a square meter of size.''
THIS GUY made one for about $1000.

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoerngiesler View Post
YM analog filters, not oscillators, right? There's always the Ambika / Tubika. It has quite a number of subtle and not-so-subtle wavetables and some really nice filters available.
I think I did mean analog oscillators. Like, imagine a Poly Bass Station with a choice between Bass Station oscillators or Ultranova oscillators. Mix and match.

There's something about the Mutable synths that I just do not like. Too harsh or something. I've listened to hundreds of demos and while some sound good, too many bug me. That's how I felt about the Prophet 12. I took a chance anyway, and I regretted it. What I'd love is for Dave to release a VS 2 with the new Prophet 6 filter and the old VS engine.
Old 13th November 2016 | Show parent
Deleted b5734b5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
THIS GUY made one for about $1000.

What a beauty and very nice presentation!
Old 13th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitandtieguy View Post
no, actually you can't.

there's a clarity to the Blofeld and a fuzziness to the XT which can not be reconciled no matter what you set the parameters to. and that is how you tell them apart.

the Blofeld was on the left and the XT was on the right. thank you all for participating in a fabulous thread.

btw, my money's on the Blofeld for getting closer to the old sound. until someone digs up a 360 and does a side-by-side with these two keyboards i covered i'm going to stick to that assumption. in the top end the old PPG stuff exceeded 500 khz sample rates. there's no way that didn't sound clear as ice, even if the interpolation between slots was discrete, it wouldn't have sounded fuzzy on a static wave.

the fuzziness in the XT is an artefact of underpowered mid-90s constant sample rate math. this is not present in the old PPG stuff, which as some posters have pointed out, used a completely different way of playing the wavetables back.
Well first of all a BIG thank you for this comparison.
Even after all these years it gave me the tools I needed to make a decision. First of all I don't give a turd about old versus new: both synths are damn close to each other and I actually preferred the left channel, thus the Blofeld. And I'm fine with that because a Blo costs jack poop these days. I can get a brand new one for about 300 euro. It's a bargain! Microwaves go for 4 times that price so you made me happy man :-)

I just wonder if the Microwave patches are in the Blo or if you had to make them from scratch.....

Anyway once again a big thanks!

Cheers
Lawrence
Old 13th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool View Post
This is an old thread but nevertheless: Virus B don't have any wavetables so this doesn't make much sense
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That's a bit of nonsense right there.
Old 13th December 2016
Lives for gear

I couldn't really care less if my wavetable synth is hardware or software, let alone xt vs blofeld. I never cared much for the wavetable sound and the old hybrids like original microwave or PPG don't do much for me. I have settled to Nave and the PPG apps for my iPad and it's more than enough for me. Wavetable sound plus hands on control.
Old 14th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I couldn't really care less if my wavetable synth is hardware or software, let alone xt vs blofeld. I never cared much for the wavetable sound and the old hybrids like original microwave or PPG don't do much for me. I have settled to Nave and the PPG apps for my iPad and it's more than enough for me. Wavetable sound plus hands on control.
Cool to know.

I tried all the waldorf soft synths very quickly and none of them blew my mind. Honestly I settled for presets. Did not bother diving into the engine.

When I hear the Q though or the Microwave XT, I am like wow dude this thing rocks!

Although soft synths do get close these days. I like Dune2 a lot and also Spire. The Virus TI2 doesn't make me wild either, maybe it's just me. I cannot say it sounds bad but if I would describe it I'd say it misses character. It sounds so ... I don't know... sterile.. Like a gorgeous women with bit boobs yet when you make out you don't get turned on all that much (does something like synth-gay exists??? )

Ach I guess this doesn't make any sense at all. WTF just be happy with whatever works for you man :-)
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

is anyone still using the sample licence in the blofeld ?
can say i have ever read an in depth review and i've searched widely
is it worth it, what do analog sample sets sound like in the blofeld ? what are the functions of the sampler?
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear

You can use sample as oscillator and tweak your way around the Blofeld synth engine (including oscillator FM, ring modulation & mod matrix), it gives additional scope.

Waldorf Blofeld License SL Sample Option

You can also add your own wavetables to user wavetable slots just like XT.

https://modulatethis.com/2015/07/29/...ld-wavetables/

A friend of mine was an Access fanboy, and didn't understand why I chose Waldorf's instead back then, he bought a Blofeld recently and now he knows why. If you are a visual kinda guy and don't want to read what it can do in the manual, just check options of Blofeld with an editor to see what it can do, or better way, watch Zaphod Betamax's Blofeld videos. (which I also apply the tips for my Q, thanks again man)

That said I was gonna buy one to supplement my Q on the additional wavetable department, only passed it for an expanded µWave XT. I can borrow it from my now convert friend; actually bring Q to him to program it faster
Old 14th December 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan View Post
You can use sample as oscillator and tweak your way around the Blofeld synth engine (including oscillator FM, ring modulation & mod matrix), it gives additional scope.
Dude your post inspired me to buy Blofeld again and build a JD/JV style sample/patch set for it. Now i just need to figure if i can fit everything into 60 megs of space.
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks, found the answers via a german review.
For anyone interested the germans review german synths very very well and precisely - ha!
https://www.amazona.de/test-waldorf-...r-wavetable/3/

The waldorf micro q review on the site is spot on (even with the bad google translator) and there's even a waldorf q tutorial on the comb filter and 4 xt tutorials. I cant understand why other mags cant seeem to explain and review synths, to the point where your actually explain the features in a practical sense: ie the germans opine that the micro q high pass filters are really nice, in comparison to the LPs and...." it comes down to a matter of taste." Now ill go and try out those high pass filters on the q and go and try a blofeld again, this time with samples and will do so to complement my micro q. Thank god for the Germans - well if god were alive that is........
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Another example from the waldorf microwave 2 xt review : if the brilliant sound of the MW2 is too noble, the Alaising function can add a bit of digital dirt, just like the old PPGs have done. The clipping function is responsible for the distortion. Saturation is the more harmless variant and causes the level peaks to be flattened at the top, making the waveform slightly louder. Clipping provides more harmonics by reversing the waves above the maximum. Time quantization also ensures more harmonic growth, since the interpolation is not taken into account when reading the waves. Overall, the sound becomes rugged and sharper. The Accuraray function causes a slight detuning of the voices. The resulting hovering makes the sound wider.

And this:

Now we come to the more unusual filter types ...

* The "Sin (x) LP Filter" is a combination of a 12 dB lowpass filter with a waveshaper. The waveshaper deforms the supplied signal as a function of an added sine wave. The result is often rough sounds with many overtones. The downstream low-pass filter smoothes the sound again if necessary.

* The "Waveshapr filter" is essentially similar to the "Sin (x) LP filter", just the other way around, ie the Waveshaper is behind the low-pass filter including resonance. Another difference is that any wave from the currently selected wavetable can be used for modulation. The result is brachial sounds.

* The "Dual L / BP Filter" is actually nothing but a combination of a 12dB low-pass filter and a parallel-connected band-pass filter. The corner frequency of the bandpass filter can be moved to that of the low-pass filter, which can trigger very interesting sounds.

* The "FM Filter" really has it in itself! A 12dB low-pass filter including resonance is modulated by the frequency of oscillator 2. *** " A playing field for the sounds that have been played down, for example sounds that are so easily voiced. Makes really fun this "FM filter"!

* And then there is also the "S & H à L12dB filter". Here, a 12dB lowpass filter is preceded by a "sample and hold function", which allows the sampling frequency of the sound to be reduced to only 20 samples / second. The result is difficult to predict and the input signal is hardly recognizable again depending on the setting.

And another gem revealed :

The LFOs can either run completely free, can be re-triggered or synchronized every time. The "Humanize" parameter lets the LFOs "freeze" at will, which brings even more movement into play.

Last edited by orwell; 15th December 2016 at 07:28 AM..
📝 Reply