The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I don't get dubstep these days Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

I don't get dubstep these days

I'm not here to complain about where the genre has gone. I like the wobbles, the sound switch ups and even some of the filthy dirty sounds. What I don't get is the screeching and annoying sounds artists use and love so much these days.

People would complain about heavy metal being just noise but I understood metal. I just don't get the sounds people use these days in dubstep. They are the most annoying ear shattering sounds around as if it's a competition!

Can anyone point me to some dubstep that has some actual redeeming musical quality without the skreeching sounds but still retains the switch ups?
Old 15th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
as if it's a competition!
In other words: this is why guitar solos get more complicated, gospel chord progressions get more obtuse, and Rachmaninoff is still king.
Old 15th November 2011
restpause
It's brostep, man. true dubstep isn't like that. true dubstep went back underground a few years ago. seriously.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

I don't get dubstep at all!
Old 15th November 2011
Gear Addict

Your Dad didn't get electronic music, his Dad didn't get Rock 'n' Roll, his Dad didn't get Blues, and so on and so on.

There's nothing to "get". You enjoy it or you don't. Move on.

This forum is constantly littered with threads bitching about popular new music/artists they don't like or understand. Tell us what you do get or enjoy instead—this place will be all the better for it.
Old 15th November 2011
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
It's brostep, man. true dubstep isn't like that. true dubstep went back underground a few years ago. seriously.
thats it....... theres to many people trying to make it who dont have the soul of it in them or urban backround , roots and dna.So many people see this as a quick ' get rich , famous , trendy ' scene and style . Dubstep as a word is really shagged.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Gotta Gun View Post
Your Dad didn't get electronic music, his Dad didn't get Rock 'n' Roll, his Dad didn't get Blues, and so on and so on.

This forum is constantly littered with threads bitching about popular new music/artists they don't like or understand. Tell us what you do get or enjoy instead—this place will be all the better for it.
I actually did state what I like and asked a legit question about where to find more of it.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Attached Files

noisrc_nero_promises.mp3 (739.1 KB, 739 views)

noisrc_labrinth_earthquake.mp3 (352.9 KB, 430 views)

noisrc_modestep_tothestars.mp3 (352.9 KB, 405 views)

Old 15th November 2011
Quote:

i think bitching about these things is good because:

i get confirmation that i am not isolated in my way of thinking and i remember the guys that share that same opinion and these are the people who's view and critique i value the most as i share the same taste.

without the bitching and in the case that only positive attitudes towards music are represented here; i would only get half the story and only know about the guys that like the same music as myself and also would never know if my opinions of music i don't like are just isolated to myself.

so yea, bitch on, it's all good
Old 15th November 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, but after the previous 14 trillion posts bitching about how Skrillex/brostep sucks and they don't get the sound, it grows exceedingly redundant and annoying for others to keep posting the same exact thing in different words.
Old 15th November 2011
i agree, however this is an issue of starting new threads instead of replying to old ones, rather than the actual content. it's the same situation for allot of other subjects that seem to be continually recycled.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

I get it, got it 10 years ago.
Frankly surprised it lasted so long.
It's created by the kids, let em have it.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Exactly, I was going to post about how I think the more commercial dub step is a representation of a certain portion of the generation that likes it.

If you go to youtube and search for "how to dance dubstep" there's quite a few videos that are backed by some pretty good music, even if I don't care for it. I can see the appeal in it, it's hip, somewhat urban and you can dance to it.

But you take the commercial stuff, and they take the two same elements out of the music and then stick them into your face for three and half minutes.

That to me is the musical metaphor or equivalent of those 12 year old kids that like to sit there and laugh at these videos of people falling down stairs or something where they slow it down or reverse it and st-utter the video.

At least in my mind that's what they're doing and that's also their audience.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
it's brostep, man. True dubstep isn't like that. True dubstep went back underground a few years ago.
respect
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Dupstep is really a hot topic nowadays!
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

No true scotsman would make brostep.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting OP, good to know I am not the only one. I have been wondering about it too, or maybe, we are just getting old? meh...
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by datune View Post
maybe, we are just getting old?
that's part of the problem for sure, raise your hand if someone in here is under 18..!
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

If they told you what they DID like, it wouldn't be cool anymore.

The REAL dubstep is where it's at. You've probably never heard of it though.
Old 15th November 2011
its all just different flavours, i get it, i just dont particularly like it.....
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

I think disliking dubstep is now more popular that the genre itself. Its at the point where frat boys say "whatever dude, you like dubstep" to diss each other. . . bandwagon hoppers!
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCore View Post
No true scotsman would make brostep.
Aye, it's the work of "the auld enemy" for sure.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonance5 View Post
respect
Old 15th November 2011
Gear Guru
I loved having multiple rooms at raves... but I never stayed too long in the "meth" rooms.. fun to take a peek tho.. just not enough substance to me.
Old 15th November 2011
Lives for gear

Old 15th November 2011
Gear Maniac

LMFAO!!

THANK YOU this thread made my day! Not to hate i mean, Dubstep is fine if im in the mood to participate in it, I just know what you mean about screetchyness bieng a trend as of late.

Lol highlights of this thread include 'brostep' and that meme steeze you just posted... Classic!!

Sent this to my favorite dubstep producer just now, a good friend of mine.
If he doesnt get it, then...oh well!
Old 16th November 2011
electronic music's endless maze of subgenrefication continues.

as far as noise goes there is a long tradition of noise artists in electronic music.

i think it's kind of cute that young electronic musicians are finally throwing some SQUEIIIEEE!!! in with their BZZZZSSSHHHHHH WUBWUBWUB WUB WUB WUB.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear addict

I don't get dubstep these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by trupro
THANK YOU this thread made my day! Not to hate i mean, Dubstep is fine if im in the mood to participate in it, I just know what you mean about screetchyness bieng a trend as of late.

Lol highlights of this thread include 'brostep' and that meme steeze you just posted... Classic!!

Sent this to my favorite dubstep producer just now, a good friend of mine.
If he doesnt get it, then...oh well!
Trust me, as a dubstep producer, he's seen this thread ten thousand times on dubstepforum.
Every.
Second.
Thread.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

I like those sounds. They're like an NES rocking out or something. It's the older dubstep that bored me.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search