The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I don't get dubstep these days Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

can someone create a "ANOTHER ****ING DUBSTEP THREAD" image
you can use massive as the background or something
Old 16th November 2011
Gear interested

Somebody explained Dubstep to me like this, and it made perfect sense.

The EDM industry needed a replacement for Electro House fast, because it was getting old quick.

So, somebody decided to pick, at random, several different styles of music with the intention of producing something new and original. Here are the styles.

Electro House
Hip Hop
Dub
and Metal

Makes sense to me. I don't know, just kidding. I don't really get it either. I always thought that Electro House was getting so overdone that people started to use Hip Hop beats instead.

You can hear a Metal Music influence though. Strange. I'm a huge fan of EDM and I can't stand Dubstep.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear addict

I don't get dubstep these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDaze
Somebody explained Dubstep to me like this, and it made perfect sense.

The EDM industry needed a replacement for Electro House fast, because it was getting old quick.

So, somebody decided to pick, at random, several different styles of music with the intention of producing something new and original. Here are the styles.

Electro House
Hip Hop
Dub
and Metal

Makes sense to me. I don't know, just kidding. I don't really get it either. I always thought that Electro House was getting so overdone that people started to use Hip Hop beats instead.

You can hear a Metal Music influence though. Strange. I'm a huge fan of EDM and I can't stand Dubstep.
Good description... Of brostep.
The one thing I've heard most (and it's true) from people who've gotten into what remains of the carcass of early dubstep is: it makes no sense until you've been to a very dark club with an amazing soundsystem.
It epitomises dark, gloomy cities and the bass is actually felt, to the pit of your stomach.
Whatever cures what ails ya.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawnchy View Post
Good description... Of brostep.
The one thing I've heard most (and it's true) from people who've gotten into what remains of the carcass of early dubstep is: it makes no sense until you've been to a very dark club with an amazing soundsystem.
It epitomises dark, gloomy cities and the bass is actually felt, to the pit of your stomach.
Whatever cures what ails ya.
Mmmm. Very interesting. Well said.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear maniac

Kids in the 80's went over the top with guitars.
The kids that still listen to the 80's kids who went over the top with guitars are now going over the top with synths.

Wether you like the music or not, you have to admit that what is going on sonically in the best tracks is really impressive and pushing the boundaries of synthesis. It's like after a decade of boring chorussy trance presets, synths have balls again, and I love that!

Those top 40 tracks tho... I prefer heavy 1 note meditative basslines to nursery rhyme melodies, but sadly this isn't the way everybody thinks. So be it.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

OMG that Rustblade stuff literally made me sweat from laughing.....

Absolutely hilarious.
Old 17th November 2011
Gear interested

Old 17th November 2011
Gear maniac
It's ok every now and then. Just like dnb used to be. Gives some perspective to more complex music.
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

I don't "get" 85% of what people listen to anyways. That includes people on this forum. I've heard some of the lamest music of my life in the "Wat R U listening 2 now LOL!?!" threads here on GS.

But occasionally I get surprised and hear something well made and wonderful.

Sometimes (but not often) it's even dubstep.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the tracks posted on here are cool but not enough in the way of switch ups. Maybe I do like what's considered "brostep" to some degree I just can't stand the sustained skreeching used in some tracks.

I sort of dig on this track. Whether or not it's brostep I have no idea.

Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

heard this earlier on le radio, every single other song played had the exact same dubstep style drum beat and same structure. Then this came on and I was just like... F*CK YES. Bloody well love it. But the main thing in my music is funk anyway :P

Old 30th November 2011
Gear interested

Hasn't it gradually shifted towards technical/splicing wizardry the past few years? Some of the more advanced or "aggressive" sounds may not even root their creativity in much synthesis, but rather a lot of very slim ultra-fast trance gating (and similar techniques) in the sequencer. There's certainly an element of rhythmic creativity, but I'm just pointing out that the "synthesis" element becomes lesser and lesser...
Old 30th November 2011
dubstep's cool.....

like all music the commercial end of the spectrum gets grating fast but that applies to most genres and their sub divisions

I remember when we all got into techno in the mid late 80's...we wanted everyone to hear it and go to the clubs that we were putting on or went too...as soon as they did it was the death knell...always is heh

I heard a skrillex tune on a camera commercial the other night...someones making the $$$
Old 25th October 2015
Gear Addict

Maybe the drugs are just wearing off.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search