The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Korg Monotron varients! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

New Korg Monotron varients!

Interesting,

Delay and dual OSC versions it seems: Korg Product Details

Wonder if they will do a mono'tribe' version with the added features.

Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, the dual OSC version looks sexy as hell!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Pretty cool it seems.

Any expected prices are known?
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Go KORG!!!!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

I was thinking to buy a Monotron this week!

But after seeing the new models, I got excited about the Duo... Then I realized there is no LFO on it.
Then I thought the Delay sounds great! (which it does).
But I want to use the Monotron as an external filter, and it seems to me for that use the LFO is more important than the second VCO or the delay...(even if I love the sound of the delay from the Japanese Korg site here

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Dance /monotronDUODELAY/monotronDELAY.html )

So back to square one?
Seems that the original Monotron would be the best of the three as an external filter?...
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Hot damn!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
I was thinking to buy a Monotron this week!

But after seeing the new models, I got excited about the Duo... Then I realized there is no LFO on it.
Then I thought the Delay sounds great! (which it does).
But I want to use the Monotron as an external filter, and it seems to me for that use the LFO is more important than the second VCO or the delay...(even if I love the sound of the delay from the Japanese Korg site here

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Dance /monotronDUODELAY/monotronDELAY.html )

So back to square one?
Seems that the original Monotron would be the best of the three as an external filter?...
maybe maybe not...

the thing is the original had the pcb labled with ins and outs for the different parts of the synth. if the new duo follows the same freely moddable design you could route the second osc to the filter cutoff control and do filter fm with the duo or tune the second osc low enough for an lfo with a simple pot on the vc input for the second osc tuning it really low. a second wire off the pcb's solder point and switch wired from the second osc's output would allow you to route to the filter cutoff vc input at will and keep the x-mod functional
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, now Korg needs to throw those 3 pieces together into 1 box. Add 1/4 inch out and midi and I will instabuy it ....
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
maybe maybe not...

the thing is the original had the pcb labled with ins and outs for the different parts of the synth. if the new duo follows the same freely moddable design you could route the second osc to the filter cutoff control and do filter fm with the duo or tune the second osc low enough for an lfo with a simple pot on the vc input for the second osc tuning it really low. a second wire off the pcb's solder point and switch wired from the second osc's output would allow you to route to the filter cutoff vc input at will and keep the x-mod functional
This is good info.. But I won't be modding the Monotron. I'm terrible with the soldering iron and I have already too much stuff around to start modifying PCBs...
So, if I just stick with the factory configuration, do you reckon the original would be the best as an external analog filter?

The more I'm listening to the M.Delay though, the more I like it!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

I'll be waiting for them to invent sampling and FM synthesis again before jumping in.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

That delay sounds HOT, I'll get both; I love the original and the 'tribe, I make tons of stuff with them. Korg should just go ahead and start making little plastic modular pieces with 1/4" ins and outs (they should do something about the noisy ins though) in the same price range as the current ones, THAT would be awesome.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
That delay sounds HOT, I'll get both; I love the original and the 'tribe, I make tons of stuff with them. Korg should just go ahead and start making little plastic modular pieces with 1/4" ins and outs (they should do something about the noisy ins though) in the same price range as the current ones, THAT would be awesome.
They could also work closer with Fisher Price and make something like this but in many different colors and with an analog filter thrown in...
hehhehhehheh

Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
They could also work closer with Fisher Price and make something like this but in many different colors and with an analog filter thrown in...
hehhehhehheh

Oh my, what would happen to the children
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Seems the Monotron delay fx (appears to be) processing the Monotribe through its ext input:

Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

I wish the duo had selectable waveforms and something of an LFO.. It seems to just have 2 square waves for now.

Oh well.. they're fun little toys nevertheless
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Oh please Korg! not more of these toys... make a proper analog synthesizer...even with a simple architecture...
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

The Monotron just became more valuable- analog filter AND delay??? Forget the crappy micro keyboard and oscillator (with the latter being practically useless for melodic stuff if you cannot control it with CV or midi out of the box). This thing is going to be an awesome little analog processing machine! Hooking the iPad up to this is going to be fun!

Wait, so it's obviously not a tape delay... is this a digital delay? BBD?
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
Oh please Korg! not more of these toys... make a proper analog synthesizer...even with a simple architecture...
heh

You know, part of me is wondering whether Korg are doing an reverse-Oasys buisiness plan here.

They make lots of individual synth components, then when they have enough, they fliter them 'up' all together to create some super synth!

..maybe not as stupid as it sounds!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Its obvious what they are doing. Creating a market through cheap profitable devices. Once the market is big enough, they will release the big synths.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
heh

You know, part of me is wondering whether Korg are doing an reverse-Oasys buisiness plan here.

They make lots of individual synth components, then when they have enough, they fliter them 'up' all together to create some super synth!
Yeah, the mono-tribe/tron line of products looks to also be an interesting experiment; releasing schematics and allowing the DIY community to hack these devices is free R&D- and also free self-generating market research. Studying consumer response to this line of products gives Korg a next to zero-cost low risk trajectory. If enough of us bite, I think we will likely see something fleshed out in the not-so-distant future. Price point seems to be highly important. Once a synth hits the $500 market, I think risk shoots up geometrically (total speculation here). They very well could put together a more complete synth now if R&D was given the 'go ahead' from corporate, but I think they are still testing waters and doing 'research' by releasing these variants. Maybe we'll see something at Summer NAMM if they can get production cost low enough.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Its obvious what they are doing. Creating a market through cheap profitable devices. Once the market is big enough, they will release the big synths.
Yeah, in addition to production, we have to consider consumption... they are certainly forging a niche market! Very clever, actually. Reminds me of ba.

Ba Concept
Old 3rd November 2011
Deleted User
Monotron $29 or 50% off

post fixed: You can get the original Monotron for $39 if you use this rebate

The Monotron Delay would make a great built-in guitar mod.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

..maybe not as stupid as it sounds!
I hope you are right!!!
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Cool I guess, but I really hope this leads to bigger and better things, its hard for me to get excited about something so limited. What I really want to see is a more advanced monotribe (lets call it the PolyTribe heh) for say $699, ideally with basic ES1 style sampling tossed in, I think it would be a big hit and could even create a whole new subgenre of music...
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Addict

I feel like this signals that the monotribe didn't do very well, maybe it hasn't been out long enough to see, but the monotron is cheap enough and good enough and was successful enough for korg to expand on the concept.

Kinda sucks that you lose the LFO on the duo and lose resonance on the delay. seems like the original is better than both, just run through a cheap delay.

They remind me of matchbox cars.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammytaters View Post
You can get the original Monotron for $29 if you combine this rebate and use musiciansfriend.com coupon code "bigdeal." I haven't tried the deal.

You can do a similar thing and get $150 off Roland Gaia. (not that great of a deal, but thought I'd mention)
Same thing, the Korg SV-1 (73key) is $1399 with $600 off ($500 rebate, $100 off musicians friend coupon code).

The Monotron Delay would make a great built-in guitar mod.
I figured I'd take chance on this. Sadly Korg products are not part of 'the big deal'. In fact, looking at the list of manufacturers who are excluded it's hard to see what the deal actually applies to. The list: Offer Exclusions

The rebate looks legit though.

I'd like to run my YC-45 through that the filter/delay. That could be pretty great.
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmo View Post
I feel like this signals that the monotribe didn't do very well, maybe it hasn't been out long enough to see, but the monotron is cheap enough and good enough and was successful enough for korg to expand on the concept.
I don't see how that could be postulated from this new release at all. I personally know for a fact its been successful just by the amount of units I see move weekly out of a small local shop, the serial numbers are quite high already.

Its almost at craze status.
Old 3rd November 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast View Post
I figured I'd take chance on this. Sadly Korg products are not part of 'the big deal'. In fact, looking at the list of manufacturers who are excluded it's hard to see what the deal actually applies to. The list: Offer Exclusions

The rebate looks legit though.

I'd like to run my YC-45 through that the filter/delay. That could be pretty great.
Oops, sorry about that....that was a crummy sale for musiciansfriend then...post fixed.
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear Addict

Thank you Korg, keep the analog gear coming please.

On another note.... Roland, you really get on my nerves. So so many of us hope and wish you would give analog another shot. Take a page from Korg's book please and give us a new analog SH 101, or your own take on a Tempest like drum machine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search