The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Komplete 8 ultimate a good idea? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Addict

Komplete 8 ultimate a good idea?

I consider myself a beginner.. I am still overwhelmed by dcam synth squad, and geist..

As most.. I had looked one or two NIs software I like but those two alone cost halve komplete 8 price...

maybe what Im asking is. Is it worth it?
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Addict

Personally I would say that Komplete 8 is worth the price but Komple 8 Ultimate is overwhelming. Especially since you're telling me that you're a beginner. Komplete 8 has more sounds than you'll ever need. I find that Komplete 8 Ultimate was made more for the commercial studios where clients from all types of backgrounds come in to record so a huge palate of sounds is necessary.

just my opinion.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

it's not a bad idea.

you'll have more than enough sounds and fx to keep you occupied for quite some time

not sure what else to say

if you think its worth it, buy it

if not, dont
Old 24th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOnlyMoment View Post
Personally I would say that Komplete 8 is worth the price but Komple 8 Ultimate is overwhelming. Especially since you're telling me that you're a beginner. Komplete 8 has more sounds than you'll ever need. I find that Komplete 8 Ultimate was made more for the commercial studios where clients from all types of backgrounds come in to record so a huge palate of sounds is necessary.

just my opinion.
+1. If you are just starting out I would not bother with either version for now. I have been buying and upgrading Komplete since the earliest versions. Along the way I have learned to use, and really enjoy, some of the components included in the package. However, I finally got off the upgrade NI gravy train at version 6 when I sat back and examined how much I really used the product. As a suite of products it really is intended to do a little something for everyone. What I found is that as a hobbyist, it was overkill and there were large parts of it that I really did not need or use. Kontakt and Battery (tons of drum and percussion samples) are great for example, but for simple beats you can easily get by with just Kontakt. Especially when you decide to start creating your own custom sounds in Kontakt. But again, Kontakt is a pretty deep and pretty complicated software sampler. It takes a lot of time to get good at it and really get your money out of it, YMMV. Reaktor, also is very cool ... but sadly it is little more than a preset machine for me. I just don't have the time to get inside of it and learn how to roll my own instruments and effects. It is complicated for most beginners. Anyways, if I could do it all over again, I would stick with the basics and learn to use them well. I may have my Gearslutz Jr. Membership card revoked for saying this, but you can do a lot musically with very little if you really take the time to learn the gear that you have before moving on to bigger and better purchases.

In short, take the time to see what kind of music you are looking to create. Then determine what areas are lacking in your sound arsenal of tools, if any. Then decide what product(s) will help you fill that void. You may find that a product like Komplete is overkill.

If you decide to go ahead and purchase Komplete 8, I wish you the best. The tools within it are capable of some really great stuff in the right hands. But if you do, you might want to wait to purchase until NI is closer to a Komplete 9 release. NI typically heavily discounts the current version of Komplete prior to releasing their next version.
Old 24th October 2011
Gear nut

Its cheap considering its only a fraction of what you'd pay for all of the plugins separately.
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Addict

keep it simple.

i'm having a hard time justifying the upgrade right now. even to the "basic" version. i have k6 and there's plenty of stuff I dont use there.

+ the kontakt interface seems a bit slowish to load up and theres just SO many instruments there that it loses focus pretty fast.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohack View Post
Reaktor, also is very cool ... but sadly it is little more than a preset machine for me. I just don't have the time to get inside of it and learn how to roll my own instruments and effects. It is complicated for most beginners. Anyways, if I could do it all over again, I would stick with the basics and learn to use them well. I may have my Gearslutz Jr. Membership card revoked for saying this, but you can do a lot musically with very little if you really take the time to learn the gear that you have before moving on to bigger and better purchases.
Great advise.

I would guess the vast majority of users never build in Reaktor. They may try it once or experiment, but if you are a musician or producer, I don't see how you will have time. Besides, there are some well known Reaktor builders contributing their FREE ensembles, where they have spent months...even years creating fantastic synthesizers.

In once sense, while Komplete 8U may be overwhelming, I would guess most users are centered around Kontakt, Reaktor, & Batery. Then on a second tier...Massive, FM8, and Absynth. Beyond that, there are dozens of specialized tools some good such as Razor, and some not so good with seemingly endless presets.

IMO while most on this lower tier are good or okay, I think there is a lot better coming from companies that specialize. For example NI has tossed in several pianos that are...average at best. For me, Ivory works much better..even than Alica Keys. Same thing with drums. Excluding Battery, I never use NI drums. For me, Toontrak works and sounds much better considering all their libraries they offer. Recently NI joined the already crowded vintage effects market. I'm already happy with Waves.

Its a great general package, but if you are overwhelmed by synth squad and geist, and you buy Komplete 8U, you might become too distracted learning and exploring the tools instead of making music.

Also keep in mind the chance of NI doing a half off the day after Thanksgiving. Not Komplete...but most of their individual products have been 50% off. I'm not saying they will do it this year, but they have done that in the past.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
In once sense, while Komplete 8U may be overwhelming, I would guess most users are centered around Kontakt, Reaktor, & Batery. Then on a second tier...Massive, FM8, and Absynth. Beyond that, there are dozens of specialized tools some good such as Razor, and some not so good with seemingly endless presets.
I upgraded to K8 Ultimate especially because of Session Strings Pro, which is not available with the standard package. Upgrading to K8 standard and Session Strings Pro separately would have cost me almost the same as upgrading to K8U ($560. Wasn't easy to swallow...) I really got a ton of stuff I'm NOT going to use. But, of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I upgraded to K8 Ultimate especially because of Session Strings Pro, which is not available with the standard package. Upgrading to K8 standard and Session Strings Pro separately would have cost me almost the same as upgrading to K8U ($560. Wasn't easy to swallow...) I really got a ton of stuff I'm NOT going to use. But, of course, your mileage may vary.
How do u like session strings?
Old 25th October 2011
Gear addict

Ugh software is so overwhelming for me.

I don't get how anyone can use presets all the time and be proud of their work, when someone else designed their sounds. It's not easy or always smart to waste time building sounds from scratch, but most people that pirate software won't spend time learning anything past presets, yuck.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Reaktor alone is overwhelming. You could get that and nothing else, take one look at the included ensembles, and easily drown, and that's before you open the Magic Door to the online ensemble library....

Absynth: ditto. FM8: ditto; all the complexity of FM made accessible in its most advanced interface incarnation.

Massive: ditto.

And those are the tiniest parts of Komplete 8.

Otoh it's cheaper than an Ultranova, if you already have a good music computer. So if you don't mind being swallowed by a giant undersea octopus.... go for it.

Then you can live in an octopus's garden for the rest of your life.
Old 25th October 2011
you shouldn't buy anything until you actually need it
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
As most.. I had looked one or two NIs software I like but those two alone cost halve komplete 8 price...
True. If you buy 2 or more it makes more sense to buy Komplete.

Quote:
maybe what Im asking is. Is it worth it?
The included libraries in Komplete Ultimate alone do completely different things than what you have right now. NI stepped away from vintage emulation, IMHO a good thing.

What do you get your bread & butter sounds (pianos, strings, brass etc.) out of right now, if you use that at all?
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
you shouldn't buy anything until you actually need it
A musician friend of mine once said, and this is a good life philosophy overall:

Don't buy anything you don't really need, with money you don't really have, to impress people you don't really care about.

That's a huge overall savings everywhere right there! Look at everything you do and think about that carefully. heh
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

I personally think synths and now effects wise all you would need is Komplete 8 ultimate, forget everything else.

I use Kontakt, Massive and Battery sometimes FM8 in every project, if I ever brought Reaktor it would be for the effects mayhem it brings not the synths.

given your post I would just buy K8U, 2 years of supplies and hibernate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search