The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your thoughts on the M-Audio Venom
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Your thoughts on the M-Audio Venom

In need of a very affordable synth for live use with my band. Now yes, we are all gearslutz here, and yes, i'd much rather have a 'real' synth, however, trying to satisfy alot of factors.

I dont need a ton of variety, i produce with plenty of other stuff so i dont need strings or horns, but i wouldnt mind a piano sound and a couple warmer tones (reviews say its only for harsh sounds...whatever that means). Need some pads in there as well, can some users or experts let me know some of these:

-will the venom's built-in usb audio interface crash my firewire MboxPro2
every time i plug it into the pc to edit patches?

-Is there a basic editable piano sound in the venom? Doesnt have to be awesome, just has to be 'there'.

-I have heard it's not a 'i wanna be vintage' sounding piece. That said, can it do a few classic monosynth recreations? All the reviews make it out to be like if your not recreating Deadmau5 sounds, your out of luck with the venom lol.

anyway, thanks for your help, ciao!
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

The Venom is an analog modeled synth. It isn't a rompler so it does not have piano patches.
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trupro View Post
In need of a very affordable synth for live use with my band. Now yes, we are all gearslutz here, and yes, i'd much rather have a 'real' synth, however, trying to satisfy alot of factors.

I dont need a ton of variety, i produce with plenty of other stuff so i dont need strings or horns, but i wouldnt mind a piano sound and a couple warmer tones (reviews say its only for harsh sounds...whatever that means). Need some pads in there as well, can some users or experts let me know some of these:

-will the venom's built-in usb audio interface crash my firewire MboxPro2
every time i plug it into the pc to edit patches?

-Is there a basic editable piano sound in the venom? Doesnt have to be awesome, just has to be 'there'.

-I have heard it's not a 'i wanna be vintage' sounding piece. That said, can it do a few classic monosynth recreations? All the reviews make it out to be like if your not recreating Deadmau5 sounds, your out of luck with the venom lol.

anyway, thanks for your help, ciao!
Looks like the Roland Juno Di (around $500) or Gi (around $950) or the Yamaha Mox6 ($1,100 but IMHO much better than either of the Roland offerings) are what you're looking for. Forget the Venom, it only emulates analog synth sounds.
Old 20th October 2011
Just out of curiosity, if you already have the sounds you need, why not get a midi controller and bring your laptop?
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
if your not recreating Deadmau5 sounds, your out of luck with the venom lol.
Jesus, can someone please remind me that deadmau5 created House music, I keep forgeting, doh!
Old 21st October 2011
i thought it sounded great for its pricepoint...its definitely aimed at the dirtier side of the spectrum, but the fact it can be used as an audio interface as well as a controller should make it appeal to beginners

but its built to a budget for sure, and it does feel/sound like software imo....but i still really liked it
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

If you really do need piano sounds, and dont want to use software, a Korg M50 may fit the bill. You can find them for $500 or so used, look around.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone looking for a small format analog modeler: read this...

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone Looking for a smaller format Synth or a Venom...read this:

Hey, thanks to everyone for chiming in on this Venom thread! This response is looong, so read on only if your interested in the responses to your posts up there ^^^ as well as what i'd like to call a very light review of the Venom, as well as answers to why i did not buy it. Read on if you're looking for something similar and learn by shopping vicariously through me!

So my main criteria for making a choice were price, multitimbrality, and portablitity. So ive gone and demoed the Venom and really liked it. I was about to get one at a great price when...well, I went with something else, and you'll read why later...

@ Rogue Ai: yes the Venom is actually sample based.

<<btw: For those interested, with some tweaking, you can get a passable piano sound with the Venom, but not because they've sampled one. However the samples of waveforms and occilators which the venom engine runs on are all you need to make the same type of semi-convincing piano which are in other FM and Wavetable generated synths... although again, these are just samples of that math, not the real thing...>>

@ Aunishi: Indeed, i would have used a laptop, but it's not a very stable or portable solution for me. Also, i need to be able to program patches from my songs and give them to the keyboard player. Maybe in the future when i have some extra cash tho (prays)

@ PaPi and others: yeah i would have preferred some kind of 'real' analogue synth, but can't afford the higher end stuff. Also didnt want to deal with yet another used or vintage model that could be costly to fix. Finally, portability is a big factor in this decision as well. (I have already have a 76 key Fantom and its awesome to make splits and layers on, but lugging it to rehearsals and gigs is simply not an option)

SOooo..about that VENOM: really loved this thing when i sat down to demo in. Litterally the fastest-to-edit digital synth ive ever touched. I also fell in love with some of the patches. I sat down and immediately found sounds akin to what i already had in my production music, which contain a heavy number of custom made patches from expensive VSTi plugz. The Venom is a breeze to make splits on, and the keybed spans 4 octaves- unlike most other budget analog modeler synths out there which are usually 3- as well as boasting better polyphony and multivoicing than all it's competitors. I didnt need another audio interface, but it doubles as a budget PT interface as well . Despite being larger than all the minisynth format competitors, it weighs 2 pounds less than the akai miniak (which was my second choice for keyboard action feel and portablity).

About the presets and sound engine in the Venom: despite what all the reviewers say, it most definately is not 'only for harsh sounds'. It does in fact do what Kcearl mentioned though, which is have alot of presets that are aimed at grimier sounds. However my perception is it does the same thing and contains the same saw/square/triangle/arp fodder you've found in every other synth of this type. I easily filtered plenty of the patches down to warm pads or misty wobbles with a single button and knob twist. Done. Is it a warm truly analog synth? No, but the patches were immediately more useful for my tastes than any other competing product in that price range (except for the Niovation UltraNova and the Roland Gaia SH-01, but ive read that those do splits and multipatches very well, so that was a complete non-starter up against the venom and a couple others i was truly considering).

So anyway, those are the 'pros' of the Venom...
Too bad the thing is completely unusable in a live situation, because it tends to freeze in standalone mode, which i read about and also experienced by playing it. Thank you m-audio for answering my prayers and then kicking me as hard as you can in the crotch.

The Deets:
When i was demoing the Venom, i didnt have enough time to make some multi-patch zone splits. So i went online later, found it is super easy, and was about to test it out again and buy one. Oh-Ho? What's this here? Multiple reports of freezes when used in standalone mode. People chiming in with responses to those reports saying 'its super solid when connected to a cpu but mine freezes in standalone mode too'. Then i remembered: OH SNAP the Venom froze on me TWICE in 20 minutes at the store when i played with it. Sure, they may patch it, but the company swears its a hardware problem with one or two machines. Not a good look, and i need something dependable that wont freeze up.

Im definately let down...because the venom is great, its just completely unstable. Next year, when another production run of it comes out and they've fixed that, AND the purported tempo drift when you try to lock it to DAWs, maybe i'll get one. But a simple 'we made a patch fix' months after the thing blows a couple of songs for me on stage is not gonna fly. They need to remove the audio interface from this thing, keep the inputs that let you process incoming signals, and kill the bugs in this thing before they eat it alive.

For now i bought the Akai Miniak, because it didnt freeze on me, has extremely usable patches, and is second only to the Venom in it's ablity to make multi-patch zone splits with more than 2 voices. <After that its the Korg R3 which rings in at a whopping 2 patches per multi, and is not built as well as the miniak. I also think the patches are quite limited on the R3, although editing them with the onboard hardware is not as painstaking as it can be with the Miniak>

So I went with the Akai, got a supersick deal on one, brand new with a 3 year no fault warrantee strapped onto it. I should note that the build on the actual physical parts of the Venom is easily twice as good as anything out there in the same market space, and that this Akai Miniak is a b**** to edit. However, the knobs on the miniak are themselves more robust than the other competitors, save the venom. So while the editing is a bit steep and annoying on the Akai, it also has alot of very useful patches out the box, and the stability and portablity issues outweigh the only competition imo.

thanks for reading and again for the prior responses!
Old 25th October 2011
those miniaks are going for $280 new...damn thats not a lot of cash for a synth

I got a new micro x with a three year warranty for $300...another great little synth but with 25 keys you can only really use it as a sund module...great editor programme though, and its a VST...cant lose for that amount of cash

(I have more fun with it than my two analogues)
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Nut

Damn I would have said get a Korg R3 all the way. They sound amazing, it uses the radius board. Jean michel jarre used one on his last album. They really do sound great.
You can get them for DIRT cheap, and I really dont know any synth thats out there that can compete at the price point. It blows away the miniak the Gaia and the microkorgs etc.
I would put the sounds on par with a Virus or Norlead in many ways but with a more classic analog kind of sound to it. You just dont get as many options for tweaking/making patches and knobs etc.. there are only 4 knobs that switch to most important tweaks each patch. still better than many cheap synths out there.
Cool thing is the computer editor lets you do it much easier.

No piano, but you can get piano-y rhodes kind of sounds and it doesn't sound like you need a perfect replication of a yamaha grand.

I would check it out and think about returning that little turd of a synth. Sorry that thing sucks IMO. I would never get one of those or even a microkorg, rip offs I think.

You can get an R3 for 300-400 on craigslist or ebay easy, or new ones for 4-500 if u do a little looking.
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyRec View Post
Damn I would have said get a Korg R3 all the way. They sound amazing, it uses the radius board. Jean michel jarre used one on his last album. They really do sound great.
You can get them for DIRT cheap, and I really dont know any synth thats out there that can compete at the price point. It blows away the miniak the Gaia and the microkorgs etc.
I would put the sounds on par with a Virus or Norlead in many ways but with a more classic analog kind of sound to it. You just dont get as many options for tweaking/making patches and knobs etc.. there are only 4 knobs that switch to most important tweaks each patch. still better than many cheap synths out there.
Cool thing is the computer editor lets you do it much easier.

No piano, but you can get piano-y rhodes kind of sounds and it doesn't sound like you need a perfect replication of a yamaha grand.

I would check it out and think about returning that little turd of a synth. Sorry that thing sucks IMO. I would never get one of those or even a microkorg, rip offs I think.

You can get an R3 for 300-400 on craigslist or ebay easy, or new ones for 4-500 if u do a little looking.
Although I don't agree with you about the MiniAk (I think it's pretty cool), I totally agree with on the R3; very underrated among the cheaper VA's, but so flexible and so surprisingly easy to program. The arp is REALLY cool, mix it with the mod sequencer and you can get some amazing rhythmic patterns (much like the MS-2000's). It's also great for pads and strings, but as you pointed out, it does really good EP's; I mean seriously, I don't know what it is about the Radias engine, but it's the best VA engine at recreating EP's that I've heard (the NL2 is good, but honestly, the Radias/R3 are much better at this). I've considered twice getting rid of mine, but I just can't, I don't even want to upgrade to a Radias, I'm happy with it, and I know how to use it pretty well at this point, and I feel comfortable with it. Love the Vox/ formant combo.
Old 25th October 2011
yeah Im surprised how popular microkorgs are...they sound pretty terrible imo

though the micro x isnt a VA...its digital an proud heh
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Just to chime in real quick regarding the R3. Yes, it's a very capable synth with a very "hi-fi" sound. Excellent synth leads, strings, pads, evolving sounds, etc. However, if you're looking to create some real grimey, harsh, ballsy sounds, look elsewhere. In this department, the Venom will have the R3 for breakfast. Programming the R3 is a breeze, but it takes a lot of work to push the R3 to sound agressive.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
You must not be using it correctly then. I can program some great sounds with it.
Old 26th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
You must not be using it correctly then. I can program some great sounds with it.

Im not using it...I didnt like it, I didnt like the key size either, I bought real analogue instead

but Im sure you can programme some great sounds with it
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, but when you set loose those venom filters on the Animoog, boy does it get interesting
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I'm pretty sure the form factor & price point play a pretty big part in its popularity - and now that it's been around for a while, it's probably the one thing "non-synthy" keyboard players run into when looking to expand their palette a bit.
Old 28th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Although I don't agree with you about the MiniAk (I think it's pretty cool), I totally agree with on the R3; very underrated among the cheaper VA's, but so flexible and so surprisingly easy to program. The arp is REALLY cool, mix it with the mod sequencer and you can get some amazing rhythmic patterns (much like the MS-2000's). It's also great for pads and strings, but as you pointed out, it does really good EP's; I mean seriously, I don't know what it is about the Radias engine, but it's the best VA engine at recreating EP's that I've heard (the NL2 is good, but honestly, the Radias/R3 are much better at this). I've considered twice getting rid of mine, but I just can't, I don't even want to upgrade to a Radias, I'm happy with it, and I know how to use it pretty well at this point, and I feel comfortable with it. Love the Vox/ formant combo.
I own a Radias (both internal with a M3 and external), a Venom, and a Miniak.
I find the Radias engine is outstanding, and the sound that comes is really the finest. The good pianos are there because there are actual piano waveforms in there! (don't know if that's the case with the R3?). Anyhow, yes, you can make the Radias sound pretty close to the venom (and then some) - but you have to work at it. So if you want the Venom sound, at that price, by all means get one! - That said, I love the Miniak (and my Micron). It is an amazingly versatile synth. Plug a BCR2000 and you'll get that extra editability. You know that both the Miniak and the Venom had some of the same people designing them, and it shows (check out the Matrixsynth interview of Taiho Yamada). I don't feel that someone that chose a Miniak made a bad choice - far far from it - it's a gem. I think all three of the synths mentioned here are worth getting and are pretty affordable (if not immediately, then over time).
Have fun!
Old 28th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Yes, definately agree with both of you, the r3 was my other top choice among the Venom and Miniak. The R3 has the real synth action and is much more intuitive to edit than the other Korg small format offerings.

I did want that one, but i simply could not find it for a good price new. Again, a great piece but I could not bring myself to pay just $100 under list price for something that may have had beer spilled on it and then been offered up on craigslist. It just didnt seem worth it used, at all, nor did four or five hundred bux new. For that i would have bought a Gaia or the Ultranova.

Also when demoing these i didnt immediately get into the tone of the R3, whereas the Miniak...i dunno, it had a ton of presets ready to go and for some reason sounded better for the stuff im performing live right now. But again, Miniak and R3 were the top 2 until i found the venom, and the freezing, tempo drift and edit crash problems knocked it out of the running for me.

Eins, thanks for the vote of confidence, i did feel the miniak was very versatile when sitting down with it. I def still want the Venom overall so i feel a bit let down but at least my band has a good go-to portable synth now and i can get busy making those patches!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input. Have an awesome weekend!
Old 28th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, definately agree with both of you, the r3 was my other top choice among the Venom and Miniak. The R3 has the real synth action and is much more intuitive to edit than the other Korg small format offerings.

I did want that one, but i simply could not find it for a good price new. Again, a great piece but I could not bring myself to pay just $100 under list price for something that may have had beer spilled on it and then been offered up on craigslist. It just didnt seem worth it used, at all, nor did four or five hundred bux new. For that i would have bought a Gaia or the Ultranova.

Also when demoing these i didnt immediately get into the tone of the R3, whereas the Miniak...i dunno, it had a ton of presets ready to go and for some reason sounded better for the stuff im performing live right now. But again, Miniak and R3 were the top 2 until i found the venom, and the freezing, tempo drift and edit crash problems knocked it out of the running for me.

Eins, thanks for the vote of confidence, i did feel the miniak was very versatile when sitting down with it. I def still want the Venom overall so i feel a bit let down but at least my band has a good go-to portable synth now and i can get busy making those patches!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful input. Have an awesome weekend!
A few pluses and minuses' either side. Though simple, the Miniak's little pattern sequencer can record without the use of software. I've often captured spur-of-the-moment ideas right into a multi w/patterns using the Micron and Miniak. That is important. A quick grab of the little keyboard, capture the ideas, tidy up later. However, I've yet to see a good software editor to edit configuration of the multi's (Hypersynth is good for programs).
The Venom's editor is superior. But the flip side is you actually do need it to use a number of synth features. So, in a way, the Miniak is more autonomous (despite having so few physical controls). But there again, external controllers can help. It was amazing how it felt like I was sitting in front of a Miniak/Micron derivative when I first used the Venom. A lot of similarities in it how to use it (though obvious differences such as the physical parameter matrix).
I like the Miniak's use of categories and the keyboard shortcuts.
I find it looks good too. You could place a Woody or Buzz Lightyear action figure beside the Micron and it fit like a set - not so with the Miniak!
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eins View Post
A few pluses and minuses' either side. Though simple, the Miniak's little pattern sequencer can record without the use of software. I've often captured spur-of-the-moment ideas right into a multi w/patterns using the Micron and Miniak. That is important. A quick grab of the little keyboard, capture the ideas, tidy up later. However, I've yet to see a good software editor to edit configuration of the multi's (Hypersynth is good for programs).
The Venom's editor is superior. But the flip side is you actually do need it to use a number of synth features. So, in a way, the Miniak is more autonomous (despite having so few physical controls). But there again, external controllers can help. It was amazing how it felt like I was sitting in front of a Miniak/Micron derivative when I first used the Venom. A lot of similarities in it how to use it (though obvious differences such as the physical parameter matrix).
I like the Miniak's use of categories and the keyboard shortcuts.
I find it looks good too. You could place a Woody or Buzz Lightyear action figure beside the Micron and it fit like a set - not so with the Miniak!
You know what? Anyone comparing synths...ASK THIS GUY!! ^^^^^^
The comparisons you did were spot-on. Ive seen your post just now after using both synth's quite a bit, and the pros and cons of each are exactly what i was thinking while using them!

Here's what I did:
After buying the Akai Miniak, i liked it and it is surprisingly deep. Its extremely easy to make multizone splits, which is key since this is for live band performances mostly. But I began to feel buyers remorse, based on some things I felt were lacking that i mite solve with the venom. Like having 3 octave keyspan versus the venom's 4, lack of interface editing controls on the Miniak, confusingly backward arpegiator system (really?! You select from completely useless prefab arpegio patterns, change the sound they were preset strapped to, and then edit the apegio like a sequence. Never heard of such a thing. Lmfao.) Surely i wouldnt sell the synth

Not a problem solver; just a problem:
Then I went back to a music retailer and demoed on the venom again. It is now clear there is no way i would ever use this thing. Now, completely ignoring the freezes that i got in standalone mode (2 in just 20 minutes) the first time i demoed a Venom, this simply will not do. The lack of any sort of categories would be fine if you could make new banks or reorganize banks, but that is not possible. Also, you cannot any single oscillator's amp or filter envelope, only all of them at once. So when you hear a sound out of the completely randomized and not-so-useable presets that finally happens to be close, and you want to remove one layer of it...you cant. No real modulators or LFO controls. Way too basic on the Venom, and now i see that there is no way to use this thing. I do not want a keyboard that i have to have plugged into a computer. I have softsynths for that, and most of them are better than most standalone hardware. Theres a reason i need hardware, and that is because computers are not reliable enough or convenient enought to take back and forth from rehearsals and to clubs. lol im not taking the laptop which i produce all my music on to the fkn club so i can tweak an lfo once on stage. Bottom line is, to edit anything of value on this machine aside from a basic filter, you have to connect it to a CPU. And guess what? Venom has been reported as glitching out and not saving the Vyzex sound 'sets' you try to dump back into it. Not buying.

The Verdict: The Miniak Kicks butt imo. So I went from 'about to return this and get a venom' to 'wow, i am so glad i bought this'. Firstly..and i know money isnt everything...but the Miniak is half the price of everything in its class, despite the build on it bieng significanlty better than everything of similar sizes. (the venom, unfortunately, has the most robust build of all keyboards 49 keys and under in this price range. That includes the Gaia and the novation. This has nothing to do with instruments that cost a grand or two. Thats a different class altogether).

Keep in mind that alot of the competition in that space cannot even do multisplit zones, while the miniak can do 3 patches, a rythm track trigger zone and a pattern zone, wherever you want them. It is limited to 8 notes at one time though, so its a small format VA synth, not a sound module source for a whole production (for my music at least).

The cons are what i listed further up above: non intuitive apeggiators system, presets are not too great (but there are hundreds, instead of Korg's 'micro' line and R3 which come with very few).

The Miniak's keyboard action is better than all the korgs, and better than the novation for my tastes, in fact better than all but the Gaia and Venom, but the action on the miniak could still be better. Also, its quite heavy for its size, weighing in at 12 pounds, whereas the Venom is lighter despite being an octave larger, and the korgs are extremely light.

Overall, im now extremely satisfied with the Akai Miniak. I have learned more about synth editing in one week with it than i have learned in ten years with a multitude of other synths, because the basic raw materials and parameters to edit are very powerful. The one-knob-eding approach definately sux, i have to say, because you scroll a hell of a lot However, as he mentioned in the post before this, the keyboard doubling as as list of shortcuts (as well as letters and numbers for naming) cuts down on this and the more you know it, the faster you get of course. Also, when youre in any parameter, you simply wiggle one of the three mappable knobs on the front panel, and youve got your realtime controller set immediately.

Good stuff, this is a keeper for sure!

And thanks again for the great info and opinions.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

anyone have one of these VENOM synths?

Remember these from a few years ago.. It came out when GAIA and Ultranova was released.. I have played some patches from a gentleman I was suppose to collaborate with.

The basses in this thing rox.. It sounds impressively very good.

These are soo cheap now..
Old 31st December 2015
Hi there mpresev, yeah I have a Venom and it does bass, yes. I play bass and the Taurus 3, and the Venom is no slouch. I think if you use it to its strengths (forget using it as was intended) it is a real bargain. Manipulating the arp section in-song is one of the actions that can cause freezes, but you CAN do some things with the arps, so it is hit and miss in that regard. Big swing and a miss on some major stuff tho, for instance you can't save BPM to patches (singles or multis.)

But the synth engine they got right to my ears (and admittedly I have old ears) and it does some things really well, and is worth having around for general strangeness (check out the patch collider in the editor) and effect type stuff as well as pads, basses etc. AND you get 4 keyboard splits to spread em out on too. I've done strange things with a bass thru a Sonuus B2M midi converter into the Venom...

The filter is resonant, and tho you can hear stepping in some cases it -is- over a thousand steps and not nearly so annoying (to me anyway) as it could be. 3 ocs and all sorts of waveforms, FM and ring modulation, 4 lfo, decent mod matrix, external in, pedals, all that stuff works well. The FX are a little better than meh to me, and the of course the keybed isn't worth mention compared to the K5000S and M3 keybeds I'm used to, but overall the sound really is happening.

It's a keeper for me, and the DSI Pro 2 I've got coming in this weekend will just have to get its nose out of the air and deal with it.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

I got one when Amazon blew them out for like $169. That's the only reason I got it, because as a rule M Audio gear sucks (I have owned a lot of it so I believe I earned that). I also own way too much crap already so didn't really need it.

However, this thing to me is very interesting sonically. Like, poor man's Virus, IMHO. Actually, I used to own a Virus and I prefer the Venom. The main edge that the Virus has is build quality.

Programming from the front panel is a bit obtuse (which I also say about the Virus), but the editor works and I like that it can hold lots of patches (I seriously don't understand why it's trendy in this decade to release synths with 8 or 16 or 64 patch memories or whatever).

The Keybed kind of sucks but I could have told you that just by the M Audio factor. Still, it's playable.

Whether or not it'll ever be a classic I dunno, but the sound engine at least has potential.

Admittedly I don't use it much, because I own a lot of stuff. But I have never turned this on and not thought it sucked sonically.
Old 31st December 2015
Lives for gear

The editor for the Venom is included, and it's pretty good...if I remember right it also has a standalone version.
Old 1st January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Programming from the front panel is a bit obtuse (which I also say about the Virus), but the editor works...
If obtuse is how the kids are spelling impossible these days then yeah.
You just can't do much without the editor. (There is no stand-alone version, mikefellh .)

Edit: Whoops my bad, the editor is stand alone, they never got the VST together.

Last edited by Airlock; 2nd January 2016 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

The Venom is super cheap now. The stuff it does with modulating drum patches is really cool. I had to work really hard to recreate some drum patches on a Tempest that matched some wild stuff the Venom did.

Lots of patches for inspiration. Very limited front panel editing. I never really got on with the editor that much.

Lots of cool pattern arps to that are transmitted via MIDI. So once you start building more synths, you could replace a timbre here and there with an external synth - I drove my Sub Phatty in the studio to replace a baseline for example.

Keybed sucks, but it's so cheap you get what you paid for. I paid $400 new and I think you can get them for $200-$250 all day long on Craigslist.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
If obtuse is how the kids are spelling impossible these days then yeah.
You just can't do much without the editor. (There is no stand-alone version, mikefellh .)
I wouldn't say impossible…no worse than something like the Alesis Fusion. But obviously deep programming should be handled in software.

Quote:
...and I think you can get them for $200-$250 all day long on Craigslist.

At least where I live, I see them for like $100-150. No brainer, IMHO. Also makes an iPad audio/midi interface if you get the Apple camera connection kit.
Old 1st January 2016
Lives for gear

I see them for sale in the $150-$200 range. I always thought they sounded cheap and nasty, but in a good way. I never got one because M-Audio.
📝 Reply