The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your thoughts on the M-Audio Venom
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Addict

Also plus for venom is it talks to iPad with camera connection kit. Not always stable but it does work great for a combined audio and midi interface.
Old 3rd January 2016
Gear Maniac

I've been using the venom for a few years now and I think it's rather exelent and unique. But quite quarky and you have to learn quite well to get the best of it. Can be soft or aggressive if you program it right. Since this was my first hardware synth I learn it inside out and I'm happy I did that. I've made an iPad controller for which made it a breeze to program. Then I added my old uc33e controller to the synth and programed the all synths parameters(minus filter drive) to the controller so no need of computer to program the synth( but I mostly used it for singles no multy - I could but was getting kinda confusing where u at) recently I added an octatracka in the mix on which I can conveniently switch to any layer of the venom and have complete control of all four synth engineer the synth! I have to say I'm pretty impressed, although I don't use the onboard controller much but they can be useful too. Also doubles as small mixer effect processor, drum module and more... Still wish they made all functions available through the hardware although considering how much controls it has most users will probably still use the computer for edditing. It think the big issue with venom was that, it was geared towards performance and I see it as more of a tweeker synth.
Old 4th January 2016
Deleted User
Before I bought my Blofelds, I read up on Sound on sound and this line:

Psicraft's Vyzex is required to bring the dozens of otherwise inaccessible parameters to the screen of your PC or Mac.

That was the deciding factor to not buy a Venom, I did not want to string a PC for a OTB setup!
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Unfortunately PSIcraft are a bunch of cowboys too, they're stuff is full of bugs and they never update and never deliver on promises, that said the Venom is a nice bit of kit.
Old 24th July 2017
My M-audio Venom is suffering some form of mutism.
Used it alright one day. Turned it on the next day and heard nothing. Or: Almost nothing.
When all volume potis on the instrument and the mixier's faders are cranked way up, I hear some distorted crackling and - almost inaudible - the sound that should be playing at plausible volume (both played via local keayboard AND external MIDI controller.
Speaking of it: It sends MIDI as it should be. And seemingly it also recieves MIDI (see above, plus LED indicators, ProgChanges) - but still no sound.
Display states no errors of any kind.
Tried soft reset - to no avail.

Could it be, the Venom's amplifiers have died for no reason - or at least: no obvious reason, when poor design and manufacturing are out of the equasion)?

I've seen some similar reports elswhere on the internet but not here. So I was hoping someone could help or hint to a cure.

It's still a useable MIDI controller Keyboard, though. So I shouldn't just trash it.

Help greatly apreciated.
Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

We used a Venom for the Lead Sound on this track :

Old 24th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanizer View Post
My M-audio Venom is suffering some form of mutism.
Used it alright one day. Turned it on the next day and heard nothing. Or: Almost nothing.
When all volume potis on the instrument and the mixier's faders are cranked way up, I hear some distorted crackling and - almost inaudible - the sound that should be playing at plausible volume (both played via local keayboard AND external MIDI controller.
Speaking of it: It sends MIDI as it should be. And seemingly it also recieves MIDI (see above, plus LED indicators, ProgChanges) - but still no sound.
Display states no errors of any kind.
Tried soft reset - to no avail.

Could it be, the Venom's amplifiers have died for no reason - or at least: no obvious reason, when poor design and manufacturing are out of the equasion)?

I've seen some similar reports elswhere on the internet but not here. So I was hoping someone could help or hint to a cure.

It's still a useable MIDI controller Keyboard, though. So I shouldn't just trash it.

Help greatly apreciated.

Mine still works fine.

Have you tried all the outputs (headphone, L and R, USB audio)? I wouldn't be surprised if it was just one of the outputs that became disconnected from the board or a headphone amp failing.
Old 24th July 2017
Yep, all outputs checked. I did this for a test: Volume pots on the Venom all the way up, then controlling the Sound Volume via MIDI. MIDI volume down gives me a low level white noise-ish buzz. As I fade the MIDI volume up to around 80%, the noise goes away and the selected sound is audible at aproximately 1% of the volume it should be. So I know that the synth engine is working, but the instrument's aplification chain is faulty. I get the same result when I turn the designated patch volume pot up and down.
Old 24th July 2017
I should mention that I've also executed both hard and soft resets. Didn't held. So sad.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanizer View Post
Yep, all outputs checked. I did this for a test: Volume pots on the Venom all the way up, then controlling the Sound Volume via MIDI. MIDI volume down gives me a low level white noise-ish buzz. As I fade the MIDI volume up to around 80%, the noise goes away and the selected sound is audible at aproximately 1% of the volume it should be. So I know that the synth engine is working, but the instrument's aplification chain is faulty. I get the same result when I turn the designated patch volume pot up and down.
I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that the USB output is fully digital, no "amplification circuit," which is why I asked you to check that output as well.

Don't take this offensively, but I would still entertain maybe some type of user error/weird setting being clicked on, especially if all outputs are doing the same thing.

Maybe download some patches from other users and try those?

If that doesn't work, I would pop the hood and reseat any internal connectors...I haven't been inside the venom but my guess is there are a couple of ribbon connectors, maybe a dedicated output board and connector which possibly could have become disconnected?

Or perhaps the volume pot, or its respective board is disconnected?

Hope that helps.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear
Yep $100 for a Venom is standard,

Last one I had was given to me,

They are interesting in their own way
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Yep $100 for a Venom is standard,

Last one I had was given to me,

They are interesting in their own way
WUT? Hm. I might buy one for $100. I always thought it had an interesting sound.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
WUT? Hm. I might buy one for $100. I always thought it had an interesting sound.
Towards the end you could buy them for $167 new on Amazon...that's when I bought mine.

Worth it as a full size midi/audio interface for iPad, even if you never use the synth.

The synth is interesting, if irritating to program.
Old 25th July 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Towards the end you could buy them for $167 new on Amazon...that's when I bought mine.

Worth it as a full size midi/audio interface for iPad, even if you never use the synth.

The synth is interesting, if irritating to program.
People on Reverb and eBay don't seem to know about the blowout. They want that price, or more, for it used.
Old 25th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
People on Reverb and eBay don't seem to know about the blowout. They want that price, or more, for it used.
Yeah Reverb is actually just a photo hosting site for people that don't actually want to sell their gear, in my experience. Sometimes you can make a good deal with an offer, but most people want to charge above eBay for some reason, even though fees are less on Reverb. Lol.

There's been a couple on my Craigslist forever for like $150-200....no takers I guess, not surprisingly. I know one guy who has bought and sold 3 of them (not sure why?).
Old 20th September 2017
Encoders starting to fail...

As the encoders recently started failing on my Venom I thought I'd do a quick update to this thread:

The encoders are now failing on my Venom.

Oh well, at least it didn't cost $3200.00 like the built-to-fail interface on the Korg M3-73 I got new 10 years ago, and I'm happy to report that both Kawai K5000s here are still all systems nominal. (Keeping an eye on you Pro 2...)
Old 21st September 2017
Deleted User
Doesn't the Venom require a computer to do the major editing?
I seem to remember, in the days before Blofelds choosing me,
that this is the case.
As I do not use a computer for music (except sysex backup)
this did not appeal to me.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Doesn't the Venom require a computer to do the major editing?
I seem to remember, in the days before Blofelds choosing me,
that this is the case.
As I do not use a computer for music (except sysex backup)
this did not appeal to me.
yep it does
oops actually it looks like there are a few ipad OSC and TB Midi panels out in the wild if you do a bit of googling. Might have to pull mine out!

Last edited by dirtROBOT; 21st September 2017 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: slow on the draw
📝 Reply