The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is anyone else sick of hearing the 808 in EVERYTHING? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Is anyone else sick of hearing the 808 in EVERYTHING?

I've just seen five commercials in a row that have the 808 in the background. Plus it seems every reality show, pop song, and rap song has the 808 distastefully pumping out the same stupid simplistic beat. I understand that it is an excellent drum machine, but so is the Linn Drum, the R8, and the Simmons drum kit among others. It's to the point that I don't want any 808 sound in the music I make because it's been done to death. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Addict

+1

Probably the wrong forum to express this opinion, but I'm for bringing back 'real' drums, along with real musicians with something to say. Haven't heard anything in the pop/rock genres that have blown me away in quite some time.

There some good party/club music, but is anyone making music that we will still be discussing 20 to 30 years from now? Not exactly sure who that would be.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
I've just seen five commercials in a row that have the 808 in the background. Plus it seems every reality show, pop song, and rap song has the 808 distastefully pumping out the same stupid simplistic beat. I understand that it is an excellent drum machine, but so is the Linn Drum, the R8, and the Simmons drum kit among others. It's to the point that I don't want any 808 sound in the music I make because it's been done to death. Has anyone else noticed this?
Nope. I don't watch tv. I don't listen to rap or pop music. Maybe you need to examine and reconsider your media consumption habits? Sound like you have too much cheese in your diet....
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think that i would put the r8 in the same category as the 808 and linn drum. Anyways its popular. If you don't like it you can change the channel/station.
Old 13th October 2011

Actually I'm sick of hearing the 909 on everything.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

and no. i never tire of the 808.just the way its used
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I am tired of any drumcomputer
Old 13th October 2011

Quote:
You guys think this beat in the vid is a cr-78 with some compression maybe? Or an 808 with manipulation? Obviously samples. cause its impossible to make beats like that on an 808 or cr-78.
Those are just analog drums made with a what sounds like a digital synthesizer, probably a softsynth.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

i remember hearing kool keith rapping over some amen brother drum and bass in a dodge truck commercial back in the early thousands. ah the good ol' days
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Well the 808 is a standard...if I ever got tired of the sounds of electric guitars, I'd stop listening to music with electric guitars.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

OMGZZZZWTFBBQ I HEARD A PIANO IN 5 SONGS BACK TO BACK

NOW I HATE PIANO
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I think if you use it in the right way, 808 kick is still exciting. I love it.
But I listen to all kinds of music including jazz and classic so I don't feel like it is all over the place.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like Necron is watching too much telly.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
OMGZZZZWTFBBQ I HEARD A PIANO IN 5 SONGS BACK TO BACK

NOW I HATE PIANO
guitars suck too. i'm so sick of hearing them.

and voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_cross View Post
There some good party/club music, but is anyone making music that we will still be discussing 20 to 30 years from now? Not exactly sure who that would be.
LOL.

i just drove to Seneca IL to pick up my new trailer today and the whole way there i was listening to chicago house music ranging from 20-26 years old drenched in 808, 707, et al.

guess what: I'M LISTENING TO IT. EXCITED BY IT. DISCUSSING IT.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know if any of you ever had the Alesis SR-16 but instead of being in everything 30 years after it's release (like the 808 that you mention) the SR-16 was used in tons of commercials immediately after it's release. it got to a point where I didn't like mine because i heard it everywhere.

808 never gets old. Lame use of the 808 does.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Its blasphemy to hate on the Roland god of bass.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

tutt Leave the 808 alone.

I'm sick of hearing Autotune on everything, so on that instead.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Its only old to people who have heard it before.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Five commercials in a row, and you live to tell the tale!

Seriously, i don't know how you can stand to watch them at all.. i mean ANY commercial. My TV found it's way out of my house a long time ago, and i never missed it since.. Just stop watching the damn thing! lol.

btw it's not just the 808 that's overused in current 'pop' music. The whole genre of 'urban pop' (sometimes mistakenly called R&B) is redundant, as far as i'm concerned.. the same formula and the same sound over and over.

It's time music stopped being such an industry, and came back in the hands of creative people, instead of suits looking to make bucks. Now if we just stopped buying/listening to all this pulp, that could be a good first move. But then we have to un-brainwash the kids first.. hmm.. not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear maniac

Nope not tired yet. I can never get enough offbeat pitched 808 basslines too.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I never pay attention to "what kind of kick is being used" in a track, if it sounds good it sounds good, never cared, really.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

no, I will never get tired of hearing an 808.

i'm just tired of ****ty commercial music
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

it is kinda weird cats are still using 808 samples religiously, but if it aint broke dont fix it i guess
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
it is kinda weird cats are still using 808 samples religiously,
psalm 808 - The number of the beat.

I love a good sermon when the preacher cranks up his 808 samples and takes us to bass heaven.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbruce View Post
Nope not tired yet. I can never get enough offbeat pitched 808 basslines too.
DITTO
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

I hate how poo smells of poo.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you have TR808!!

I believe you would love to have it and make beats with it
Old 13th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahbrown View Post
I don't think that i would put the r8 in the same category as the 808 and linn drum.
amen. i can't stand the R8. it was ubiquitous back in the mid to late 90's & still rears it's ugly head on occasion.

the 808 kick drum on the other hand is scientifically proven to make the girlies get dumb.
Old 13th October 2011
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search