The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IPAD tactile interface Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

IPAD tactile interface

I recently watched a demo of Omisphere 1.5 it was impressive in terms of the IPAD interface. I didn't see any windows that facilitated editing of sounds. But the larger thought for me is.......it's obvious that the IPAD can manage these roles. But to really become a great tactile interface, it can't be iffy sliders, or goofy pots that are hit and miss like using a mouse. It really needs to be a sophisticated interface in which the template recognizes your thumb and first digit as if they were grabbing a potentiometer and adjusting it. Same would apply for faders (ARP style) it would have to recognize that typical behaviour and lock onto the event as if you were actually grabbing a knob or a fader. I think that this can be achieved. And if that kind of program can be fine tuned, it would open up a plethora of possibilities for the control of any of these soft or virtual instruments. You would be able to twist two knobs at a time, and have the freedom to instantly edit your sounds without frustration via the interface. templates could also be produced for early vintage synths with midi.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't see any windows that facilitated editing of sounds.
OmniTR - Controls page.

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

IPad...... digital.... eeeee

ok first we must understand force of live flows through all things transcending to greater waveform ever known this same source of live found in kompact cars and maybe blender toaster whatever but point is all these things come ffrom real place of magik...

digital apologist like the territorial dancer others push he push back but never seeing the infinite waveform flow through us all you want talk about maths but maths very different for all of us you can use one finger move a knob but it's still digital and maybe needs to learn something from toaster (metal kind not plastik) and received that life force
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
OmniTR - Controls page.

OK thanks. It was the first time I had set eyes on Omisphere. I was impressed by the features. I couldn't judge the sound completely since it was a YouTube video. The remote IPAD capability is a huge plus. Also the tools that allowed different sounds and loops to be mixed and tweaked in real time.

With the tactile idea, you could tell the IPAD to recognize a thumb and first digit that comes "close" to the knob. As soon as it detects that event, then you don't have to be right on the knob anymore. It locks the action and any twisting motion will increment or decrement the value. To reset it, you simply move your fingers off of the screen. This way you don't have to worry about wandering off the knob since you can't actually feel it's position. To me, the biggest problem with mouse driven interfaces is trying to accurately move a rotary virtual pot properly. It requires too much BS. The sliders in Omishpere look like they are responsive. they are large and long throw. Perhaps knobs aren`t even practicle.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the iPad control surface apps work in the way you describe, except that you don't need two fingers or a pinching action to activate them - if it's a circular (knob-ish) controller than you just have to hit it once to get it "spinning" and from that point on your finger can drift off-center and you're still adjusting; most apps let you select circular or linear motion to adjust circular controls - as do most Mac applications and plugins. This lets the control work as if it were a linear fader once you've started adjusting it while only occupying the screen space of a knob.

So you're kind of right - on-screen knobs aren't really practical.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Most of the iPad control surface apps work in the way you describe, except that you don't need two fingers or a pinching action to activate them - if it's a circular (knob-ish) controller than you just have to hit it once to get it "spinning" and from that point on your finger can drift off-center and you're still adjusting; most apps let you select circular or linear motion to adjust circular controls - as do most Mac applications and plugins. This lets the control work as if it were a linear fader once you've started adjusting it while only occupying the screen space of a knob.

So you're kind of right - on-screen knobs aren't really practical.
Ahh very cool. Thanks for the insight. This is huge
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Certainly the touchscreen controllers are a big advance in cost, compactness, flexible configuration, and convenience - but they leave a lot to be desired when you're actually working with them. I have all the iPad widgets and the big problem is that you basically have to be looking at the thing while you adjust the controls. When you have actual knobs you can close your eyes (or keep your eye on the keyboard or computer screen) while you tweak and twiddle. Being forced to watch the iPad while you tweak is a serious problem once you're really grinding away in the heat of the moment, and has really limited the appeal of such things for me. I can much more easily get lost in the sound when I'm using things like the Mackie C4 or other hardware knob or fader controllers to tweak, whether it's twiddling the knobs on a synth plugin or riding faders on a mix.

So there's that....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search