The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris - Underwater - What synths/effects are these? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pete Namlook & Mixmaster Morris - Underwater - What synths/effects are these?

For years this has been one of my favourite ambient soundscapes. Just wondering if anyone knows how they did it? I have always wanted to know what they used. Its one of the most unusual swirling effect movements I have ever heard.

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

pitched down samples and reverbs
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

here's a good look at his studio.

Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well maybe its samples, but what sampler does that? It is 93 after all. I was wondering if it might have been a wavetable synth or perhaps an early eventide efx unit. The way the sounds stu-tter and repeat in such an organic way, I have never heard anything quite like it. I am talking about the main sounds in the track and not the background noise.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks for reminding me to listen to this album again. if i have anything to add i'll chime in but i don't usually analyse Namlook records, i just listen to them.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Well maybe its samples, but what sampler does that? It is 93 after all. I was wondering if it might have been a wavetable synth or perhaps an early eventide efx unit. The way the sounds stu-tter and repeat in such an organic way, I have never heard anything quite like it. I am talking about the main sounds in the track and not the background noise.
I agree it's quite unique. First I thought wavetable, but then some stuttering is clearly a sample. And yes, pitched down reverbs. Perhaps both? (a PPG plus S900?). Ace production regardless what they used.
check this out too:
Pete Namlook - The Definitive Ambient Collection at Discogs
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Just PMed Mixmaster Morris on this one...his reply was simple: Eventide
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

HAHA I knew it! Man I love this place for things like this! Thank you Woody Aki. I have never had the opportunity to play with an eventide unit yet but I had the feeling that they were able to do those sounds. Seems like it is going to be on the next gear quest for me. Anyone want to swap their Orville for a Virus TI?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

You're welcome!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
HAHA I knew it! Man I love this place for things like this! Thank you Woody Aki. I have never had the opportunity to play with an eventide unit yet but I had the feeling that they were able to do those sounds. Seems like it is going to be on the next gear quest for me. Anyone want to swap their Orville for a Virus TI?
While I don't have an Orville I would have most gladly done so with an H3000 a month ago!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Heard that track so many times, it's awesome

That track in an ambient mix will knock you out in a good way..

Mixmaster Morris is one of my favorite producers ever, cool that he's available to answer questions..
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Haven't listened to it for a while but I remember thinking that Landebahn by Moebius & Plank (last track on Rastakrautpasta) could be a precursor / possible inspiration. Have a listen if you can find it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search