The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you could study/work with any producer... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips View Post
[email protected] - Connie Planks old desk is sitting in dark, musty studio in North london.....I can give you their number if you think some of his mojo might be alive in the desk. It was fully moded to his specs with channels specifically for drums, vocals etc.

ha I wish heh shame its not getting used though... what was it out of curiosity an MCI?

Old 19th September 2011
Lee Perry. Or Photek. And Bob Katz...

r,
j,
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was lucky enough to work for Richard James Burgess at one point, for which I am eternally grateful.

Others topping my list:

Nile Rogers
Leon F. Sylvers III
Kashif
Alan Parsons
Tom Scholz
Jeff Lynne
Dave Grusin
Larry Mizell

and obviously Prince and Moroder.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
ha I wish heh shame its not getting used though... what was it out of curiosity an MCI?

Its being used! as far as I know (I was there a couple of years ago), its just that the studio had a well lived, much smoked in vibe to it and was rather cave like.

Don't remember the make of the desk, but the story went that he had pretty much redesigned it component wise from the ground up.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

For synth tutoring, Alan Wilder and Daniel Miller from 1986 onwards, Trent/Charlie time in NIN.

Frank Serafine for movie sound EFX creation.

Production & Recording? There are too many to list, most of the previously listed greats I suppose.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Scot Project
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Giorgio Moroder, the Kraftwerk bros, David Bowie, and Quincy Jones.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Stephen Hague

Trevor Horn
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bill Leeb & Rhys Fulber.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

RDJ or BoC
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict
nightmares on wax
rob playford
joey beltram
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Magnus Birgersson of Solar Fields and Vincent Villius of Aes Dana
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

King Tubby, BoC, Rhythm & Sound

EDIT: and Bob Powers!
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Simon Delacroix, Danger and Kavinsky
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

The best producers don't necessarily make the best teachers. That said I'd go with Aphex Twin, and if he wasn't available it'd be BT.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rupert Hine
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
...The Basic Channel (and Chain Reaction) folks during the 90's, definitely would like to learn a trick or two about dub techno production.
definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu28 View Post
Dave Ogilvie
yep... along with cEvin Key and Dwayne Goettel in the 80s and 90s.

also, i'd have to say Alec Empire, circa '92-'96 or so.

... and Autechre, of course.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-feld View Post
I was lucky enough to work for Richard James Burgess at one point, for which I am eternally grateful.

Others topping my list:

Nile Rogers
Leon F. Sylvers III
Kashif
Alan Parsons
Tom Scholz
Jeff Lynne
Dave Grusin
Larry Mizell

and obviously Prince and Moroder.
Wow. I saw Richard Burgess name and said that sounds familiar???? Spandau Ballet? Yup. My memory did not fail (yet). I bought their first album when it came out.

Richard James Burgess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His bio said he used a Fairlight on Fade to Grey by Visage?

I thought it was pretty standard. Currie & payne wrote the music and Midge the lyrics. Supposedly Cedric Sharpley (also Gary Numan band) did the drum machine and drums.

I thought Currie did most of the synth work, Payne the viola, Midge singing. I never knew a Fairlight was used on it.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Simon Posford.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure I would want to work with someone that already made a great defining record. I don't know if going into the situation with that mindset would be helpful.

Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm King Tubby or Phil Spector or someone else that inspires me and have traveled in time to discover a laptop. It's more the mindset and attitude of a producer that gets my creative juices going.

Now, similarly, if Martin Hannett was alive today, I think I would have a strong desire to work with him.

Has Vangelis ever produced anyone? I don't make that kind of music, but he seems like a really intense person, so that would be an exciting, if conflict filled experience. What about Laurie Anderson?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
I'm not sure I would want to work with someone that already made a great defining record. I don't know if going into the situation with that mindset would be helpful.

Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm King Tubby or Phil Spector or someone else that inspires me and have traveled in time to discover a laptop. It's more the mindset and attitude of a producer that gets my creative juices going.

Now, similarly, if Martin Hannett was alive today, I think I would have a strong desire to work with him.

Has Vangelis ever produced anyone? I don't make that kind of music, but he seems like a really intense person, so that would be an exciting, if conflict filled experience. What about Laurie Anderson?
How would Phil Spector inspire you? Would he pistol whip you?

Supposedly, Johnny Ramone called Phil's bluff when he pulled out a gun. I think the gist of it was "hey we are from Queens so you better use it or put it away." RIP Johnny.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
For synth tutoring, Alan Wilder and Daniel Miller from 1986 onwards, Trent/Charlie time in NIN.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

I woud be the happiest guy in the world if I could work or jam with Cisco Ferreira, APaul, ZeMigL or Michael Angelo. all techno producers/DJ's
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
Has Vangelis ever produced anyone?
Italian band Chrisma (later Krisma) had two albums produced by Niko Papathanassiou, brother of Vangelis, in his Nemo studio. That's the closest thing I know of.

You may notice some similar sounds...

As far as producers I'd study, I can't really think of many. I wouldn't have a lot of technical questions; I'd be more concerned with what motivates and inspires creative decisions, and that's generally album specific rather than something that spans an entire career. I think most creative inspiration comes from either outside context (which you can infer from what other influential artists were doing at the time, the tools available, what people were listening to a lot...) or just intuition (which can't really be communicated). But I'd like to be a fly on the wall for the following studio sessions:

Depeche Mode - Violator
Associates - Sulk
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
David Bowie - Low
Nico - The End
Japan - Tin Drum
Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM, Technodelic
Cluster - Cluster
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
Morton Subotnick - Silver Apples of the Moon
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Isao Tomita...

I should stop before I reel off a list of 50 or so obscure foreign albums. Probably should have stuck with "Eno, Flood, Conny Plank" like everyone else....
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
Nico - The End
ha. i thought i was the only one alive who liked this album.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips View Post
You will find an AFX on page 1 as well....

But seriously, I am not sure RDJ would be super forthcoming with tips n tricks, he can be a bit irreverent you know?

My choice would be Donald Fagen and Walter Becker for their skills at producing/mixing a wide range of live instrumentation plus keys, samplers etc.
Its been my experience that mixing purely electronic sound sources is considerably easier than mixing/producing live instruments. Be great if i could have Katz and Nichols thrown in to!

After them, it would probably have to be Eno.

@msl - Connie Planks old desk is sitting in dark, musty studio in North london.....I can give you their number if you think some of his mojo might be alive in the desk. It was fully moded to his specs with channels specifically for drums, vocals etc.
+1 on Becker and Fagen. Would love to have their input on my acid jazz. They have made some of the best music ever recorded!
I would also add the guys from 480 East. Definitely Alan Parson, Robert Fripp, Robert Miles and Aurthur Deep.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
ha. i thought i was the only one alive who liked this album.
I really just want to know what the hell Eno was thinking with the synth noise on "Innocent and Vain". That's what pushes it into really bizarre territory (not that I'd change a thing).
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Richard James, or Eno. but really Richard James.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

With a side of Thomas Fec.
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Redone
Dr. Luke
Swedish house mafia
Prince
Daft punk
Armand van Helden

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search