The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything new coming out from Waldorf? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anything new coming out from Waldorf?

Anyone know if there is any new hardware from Waldorf in the works? I'd really like to see something like a big 61 key knobby synth with enough polyphony to compete with a Virus Ti. Ok maybe not that much poly but 32 plus voices would be plenty. I'm really wanting a nice workhorse synth with lots of poly, good FX, a nice keybed, and wavetables. Blofeld just does not do it for me in the knobbage department. I'd get a used Q or XTK but i'm vain and can't stand the "fisher price" colors.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is a total threadjack (almost!) but I really like parts of the modern Waldorf sound but haven't done any decent research to find out of anyone has made an on-screen computer editor for the Blofeld.

Does this exist?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

They have this

Waldorf Zarenbourg

Which I think looks pretty good. Uses physical modeling, sample playback and fm for the sounds.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
They have this

Waldorf Zarenbourg

Which I think looks pretty good. Uses physical modeling, sample playback and fm for the sounds.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have this

Waldorf Zarenbourg

Oh my lord that thing is miraculously beautiful and would literally fit perfectly with the entire design aesthetic of my house!!

Me going to need!!!

I am shocked I've never seen this before. I don't even think I could bear putting it in the music room, it would have to be a centerpiece of the living room or foyer.

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Q+ Phoenix is their current flagship synthesizer (up to 100 poly) for now. Its effects are not Virus TI level though. It's black and maroon, not that "fancy" like older versions. Some Q+'s have serious bugs mentioned before, but on Waldorf Facebook group, 2 people got theirs fixed with rewired circuits and latest OS. I suggest you email Waldorf for latest updates on Q series.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

They were going to make the Stromberg, an ambitious VA/wavetable synth with analog filters that seems to fit your description almost exactly, but that seems to have been shelved unfortunately.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan View Post
Q+ Phoenix is their current flagship synthesizer (up to 100 poly) for now. Its effects are not Virus TI level though. It's black and maroon, not that "fancy" like older versions. Some Q+'s have serious bugs mentioned before, but on Waldorf Facebook group, 2 people got theirs fixed with rewired circuits and latest OS. I suggest you email Waldorf for latest updates on Q series.
yeah saw that on their website but was under the impression it was out of production. I looked around at a lot of dealers who used to stock them and their all out of stock. Almost never seen one on ebay either. Might end up having to snag a second hand Virus Ti to fill my needs.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I recommend you email Waldorf directly, maybe they don't keep stock for distributors.

I had the same situation last year (no stocks left), but Waldorf initially had a spare Q Phoenix for me at the end. They just shipped it to dealer.

If they fixed the bugs totally, I'm sure they have a spare Q+ for you.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
Oh my lord that thing is miraculously beautiful and would literally fit perfectly with the entire design aesthetic of my house!!

Me going to need!!!

I am shocked I've never seen this before. I don't even think I could bear putting it in the music room, it would have to be a centerpiece of the living room or foyer.

quite agree.. love the white and especially that orange.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

They need to come out with the " Blo-knob ".

LK
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
They need to come out with the " Blo-knob ".

LK
I think that's essentially what Stromberg was supposed to be. But alas...

You CAN still pre order one, though

Nova Musik- The Electronic Musician's Wonderland.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

im one with a fixed ruby red Q+, all good and stable now .. super synth for sure.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd View Post
This is a total threadjack (almost!) but I really like parts of the modern Waldorf sound but haven't done any decent research to find out of anyone has made an on-screen computer editor for the Blofeld.

Does this exist?
Yep. But you need Sounddiver for it. But it's very good.

r,
j,
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Only software in form of new Lector vocoder plug-in.
Lector Overview
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have this

Waldorf Zarenbourg

Is it actually available now? Seen it at a couple trade shows, but didn't seem to be available for purchase yet.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just heard back from Waldorf directly. Q+ is no longer in production as of March 2011 due to parts sourcing troubles. They have none either. They also have no intention of releasing any new "flagship" knobby synthesis monsters. So i guess the Blofeld and the plugs are it at this point.

I'm thinking there must just be no money in trying to compete against the virus Ti for digital VA/wavetable synthesis turf.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The 2nd hand market for Qs and MicrowaveXTs is pretty vibrant. I wonder is there room for a halfway house between Blofeld and Stromberg. Maybe a more knobby variant of the Blofeld desktop and keyboard in and around the €700 or €1000 mark respectively?
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

waldorf salad i heard
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
Maybe a more knobby variant of the Blofeld
Which additional knobs would you like to have on a Blofeld?
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear
So, no Blofeld XT, no Stromberg and no Wave II in the pipeline

Old 23rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
They also have no intention of releasing any new "flagship" knobby synthesis monsters.
Why are all these companies so afraid of making money?

Quote:
I'm thinking there must just be no money in trying to compete against the virus Ti for digital VA/wavetable synthesis turf.
The knobby virus keyboard is still over 3 grand...I'm sure waldorf could do the stromberg for about half that, make a killing and force access to drop their prices to reasonable 2011 levels.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post
The knobby virus keyboard is still over 3 grand...I'm sure waldorf could do the stromberg for about half that, make a killing and force access to drop their prices to reasonable 2011 levels.
3 grand seems to be a reasonable price to survive as a manufacturer of big knobby synths. If Waldorf would produce for half of this they'd probably kill Access and themselves.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT View Post
Which additional knobs would you like to have on a Blofeld?
The layout isn't bad at all, but i'd really like closer to knob per function. I don't mind a little menu diving tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San01 View Post
So, no Blofeld XT, no Stromberg and no Wave II in the pipeline

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post
Why are all these companies so afraid of making money?

I don't think there really is any money in high end synthesizers. Well unless your Access or Moog. All the really interesting companies seem to repeatedly go bankrupt. As much as i hate to say it, Waldorf might have the right idea. The Blofeld sounds great and is affordable, and their soft synths sound nice per youtube demo's. I'm not totally sure what the future holds for digital hardware with all these amazing plugs out there.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Clavia is still having the NL2X on the market... any news possible from them?

The live performers who want to be independent from computer will always want a polyphonic keyboard synth with knobs. If it's analog, then it's unaffordable for many. So this is still a reason why to produce hardware VA Keyboards in the future.

And yep, the Zarenbourg looks amazing!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search