The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
manipulate random bits (in rythm, please). Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

manipulate random bits (in rythm, please).

hey guys,

i'm looking for a very specific effect to manipulate audio sources, especially short vocal phrases and stuff like that.

most important is the effect should be able to take random bits of the sample source and turn it into a rythm, so it fit's the tempo and bar of the music.
in some sort of a random mode it should then really **** up the sample and play repeats, various pitches, sometimes even backwards, and so on... of course it should be possible to control all this things (if i want). heh

at the moment i'm in ableton live trying various combinations of built in effects, but i can't really get close...

any ideas? is there a max/msp patch which i could try maybe? or something totally different?
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

A beatslicer? You can stick anything in one, not just drumbeat samples.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

hmn, something like 'guru' or 'phatmatik pro'? i will demo it, or can you recommend a specific one?
Old 18th September 2011
Ableton has a "slice to Drumrack" function, which is very nice for that kind of stuff. Also you can load a sample in simpler/sampler and play around with the start time. You can also modulate the start time by an LFO set to S&H ---> Random Mode
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

hey, that's pretty good input, thank you!
i will try this now! i'm fairly new to ableton and really happy to see how far the options go with just it's basic tools.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschreiber View Post
hmn, something like 'guru' or 'phatmatik pro'? i will demo it, or can you recommend a specific one?
I have no experience with commercial products. What little I've worked with beat slicing has been with Pure Data... many ready patches floating around the net (and demos on Youtube) and even a basic setup should be extendable to cover what you want to do.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ableton's sampler...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have no experience with commercial products. What little I've worked with beat slicing has been with Pure Data... many ready patches floating around the net (and demos on Youtube) and even a basic setup should be extendable to cover what you want to do.
yeah, i think the most logical step would be to look into this pure data or max/msp stuff. the flexibility in this programs is exactly what i'm looking for when i'm thinking about that effect.
i don't have a clue about the whole programming thing but the more i watch videos where people demonstrate their crazy patches, the more i think i need to learn this for the 'freedom' in my music i'm looking for.

Quote:
Ableton's sampler...
was already mentioned by don edgar, but i'm playing around with it at the moment and it's lfo modulation options et cetera. looks promising to get me a little closer, can't say more for the moment, need a little more time with it.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah, i think the most logical step would be to look into this pure data or max/msp stuff. the flexibility in this programs is exactly what i'm looking for when i'm thinking about that effect.
i don't have a clue about the whole programming thing but the more i watch videos where people demonstrate their crazy patches, the more i think i need to learn this for the 'freedom' in my music i'm looking for.
You can go as far as you want with that stuff, but you have to do it yourself. You have ultimate control in that you're no longer limited by what designers choose to include or omit, but it's then your responsibility to make your own tools.

I'm using Pure Data almost exclusively these days.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
hey guys,

in some sort of a random mode it should then really **** up the sample and play repeats, various pitches, sometimes even backwards, and so on... of course it should be possible to control all this things (if i want). heh
From what you described above it sounds like you're looking for something like Sugar Bytes Effectrix.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Audiodamage replicant perhaps? I believe you can demo it, and it's inexpensive.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

For reversing and mangling, I really like NI "The Finger" for Reaktor.
Old 18th September 2011
effectrix or stutter?

I use effectrix on nearly all my songs for one reason or another.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

dBlue Glitch? It's free and as a random slicer included, amongst a dozen or so cool effects.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

+1 for Stutter Edit. There's so many options in it for those types of effects.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Or just god old Buffer override! Love that thing.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

five12 Numerology. Mess with the drum samplers(or proccess the audio in realtime) and route a bunch of audio into and out of audio switch modules with effects and then sequence/LFO modulate the switches. Only program that got me to stop working "by hand" (Yeah, it's slow, but so is building anything decent in PD or Max/MSP).

It's a good combo with Live. I find Live super right brained and tedious to make complicated routings and also they're rather inflexible.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

okay guys, thank's for all the recommendations so far, i'm really testing them out at the moment. what i have seen now is that there are a crazy lot of options to create the desired effect, i just have to check out which i prefer in terms of sound, interface, options and so on.

i'm spending a lot of time with native instruments 'the finger' which is really a nice tool for live and studio use. as i'm allready a reactor user it was an easy first step for someone who just used pre-build patches... i'm surprised how intuitive it is to trigger it's effects via a routed midi-channel just to the audio source and voile - that's it, cool stuff!

the other thing i'm trying out are max/msp patches... because i really like the idea to create and combine all this effects and put them in a personal user interface et cetera.
of course i need a full-version of max to start to customize them, just trying stuff in the runtime version now.

in my internet search i found an interesting austrian composer who wrote some music software which seems really interesting too, there is library available of him, with some max/msp stuff which he uses for generative music. as soon as i have a full-version of max, i will try this out.

for the guys who are interested too, that's his page where you can download his stuff too:
Karlheinz Essl: Music Software

so far, thank's to all for your help, i have a lot to do now! ^^
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

as i'm allready a reactor user it was an easy first step for someone who just used pre-build patches...
Twisted Tools has a new mangler for Reaktor called Rolodecks.... the external patch option looks cool.

Twisted Tools

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search