The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Give me magic! (a possible EMS Synthi 100 recording) Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Give me magic! (an EMS Synthi 100 recording)

Just a recording I found... it's...magical!

...please recommend me other similar material, except Wendy Carlos and Larry Fast (Synergy) (I'm already a fan of them).
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I find Tomita far superior to Wendy Carlos (at least until the 80's, when Carlos started doing microtonal stuff and Tomita turned to cheese).

He gets pretty wild sometimes too.

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

John Adams: Hoodoo Zephyr

<click image to get more samples>

Of course there is T.O.N.T.O
Old 18th September 2011
Akh
Gear Maniac

The music in this Soviet cartoon was performed by Vladymir Martynov, who also arranged the track posted by the OP, on a Synthi 100.

Another Soviet composer who used the Synthi 100 quite a fair bit was Eduard Artemyev, who used it on Tarkovsky's masterpiece film Stalker.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you for the recommendations! I have a Tomita best of album, but it seems that it isn't representative of his work...

John Adams is one of my favorite composers!

I will definitely check out Martynov...I found the video-track I posted, by searching about Artemiev...he was really great!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Speaking of Martynov, be sure to check out this cartoon:

The soundtrack oozes analog goodness (made on Synthi-100 according to Russian Wikipedia), and there are some incredible sound effects.
Old 20th September 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
Speaking of Martynov, be sure to check out this cartoon:

The soundtrack oozes analog goodness (made on Synthi-100 according to Russian Wikipedia), and there are some incredible sound effects.
That just oozes goodness, pure and simple.

I found the railroad sequence from Stalker on YouTube, but it is from a recent DVD that doesn't use the original soundtrack. The original music was more musique concrete, with some string synth sounds near the end (plus a phased out plucked instrument). The version on YouTube has these very digital pad sounds going through the whole thing. It's like someone heard the original done on the Synthi-100, and said "You know what this needs? More Korg M1!"
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Addict
I ran into that Soviet album (Metamorphoses - the top Youtube clip) a few years ago and it is a very interesting study. I presume the Synthi 100 was part of some cultural exchange. They most certainly had to be studying Tomita and Carlos albums. This is a whole albujmm of classical synthi 100, but I only see this one track on youtube

That track (synthesized by Martynov) is more in the Carlos vein but some go for an obvious Tomita style. No tracks I think actually repeat either's music selections heading off a direct comparison. This one isn't really copying Carlos, it's much more atmospheric in back and not as articulated up front.

I've just been playing the whole album in track order, but the people involved and how the tracks are constructed seem to vary in approach though not sounding night and day different. Why I say that is maybe playing the tracks by the same synthesists back to back may reveal more.

My feeling is there is a lot of skillful and interesting texture and timbres. Lots of crap synth albums just did a barebones arrangement or did robotic sequences in the MIDI era. This is not one of them. I guess what sticks out is the lead lines just aren't the same league (articulate, full bodied) as Tomita's Moog. Then Carlos "secret" (besides half speed tracking) was hocketing different timbres to create a composite performance. The animation is striking compared to someone, even a great performer, playing the part through.

That said, "Metamorphoses" is quite an interesting find especially if one is interested in synthesizer interpretations of orchestral music. Not as good as it gets but far way above most of what's out there.

As for Stalker, Artemyev himself put out a fairly well distributed album in the 90s with redone scores most notably a very changed Stalker. Don't know the deal on the DVD but that really sucks if one bought it. He worked on some other tracks on the Metamorphoses album, but not the youtube one

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search