The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DRIVE Soundtrack is Awesome! Modular Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2011
DRIVE Soundtrack is Awesome!

could this be the "garden state" of the new elektro / ambient movement?

Old 18th September 2011
Interested in this movie! yes sounds like a cool soundtrack.

much cooler than that sappy Garden State with Zach Braff being all introspective and vulnerable - imogen heap lulling Natalie Portman into his poor aching and wounded soul...f*ck that
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Maybe this will be like when Crash came out and errbody was playing the pad presets on the 7 synths mummy bought them and talmbout racism.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMurphyMusic View Post
like when Crash came out
At first I thought you were cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMurphyMusic View Post
and talmbout racism.
then not so much...

Old 18th September 2011
never heard of either movie, thanks for sharing.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good stuff

On the plane to Europe this summer I saw a movie called "Hanna" and it had a great electronic soundtrack - I loved the movie and the soundtrack!

When I arrived home I googled it and saw that the Chemical Brothers had composed the soundtrack! No wonder it sounded good...

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Daft Punk scored Tron as well.

Cliff Martinez is a genius, the Drive Soundtrack is an instant classic like Requiem For A Dream, Donnie Darko, Memento, Risky Business, Thief, etc...

Highly Recommend both the film and album...

Posted from a scoring stage or recording studio via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Good stuff

On the plane to Europe this summer I saw a movie called "Hanna" and it had a great electronic soundtrack - I loved the movie and the soundtrack!

When I arrived home I googled it and saw that the Chemical Brothers had composed the soundtrack! No wonder it sounded good...
Was about to mention the same film, but didn't know about the Chemical Brothers part. Sublime sounds...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fun imdb lookup -- the neverending story
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Track 3 is obviously the sex scene. The trailer for this is soooo bad ass. The soundtrack seems fitting and isn't bad, but a tad bit predictable if you know what I mean: pretty much summed up the story. haha

ps: "Hanna" was pretty bad, which is a shame because it had some potential and the music was good. Pretty much cliched to eye rolling silliness and disbelief
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was wondering when someone would post about this soundtrack.

Alot of people seem to compare this to 80's soundtracks... I even thought, well...maybe these were some rare songs I've never heard, but no...they are all pretty recent. The intro synth score was a song that was 15 min long from Chromatics and I had never heard it before but within the movie it worked wonders, but alone...on it's own pretty much sounds like a few arps going at it...nothing anyone here couldn't do honestly. The magic is that he just happened to pick that song and now it's associated with Drive.

And there is no sex scene.... There is a kissing scene...that's about it.

Awesome flick though.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
and there is no sex scene.... There is a kissing scene...that's about it.
booooooooo!!!!!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

John Murphy, Clint Mansell and Cliff Martinez are the only composers that make me go see a movie.

Tangerine Dream's soundtracks for Sorcerer, Thief and The Keep are great. Sounds like a maybe a bit of reference is being made to them.

If you haven't heard the Solaris soundtracks (original with Eduard Artemyev and remake), do it!

Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
John Murphy, Clint Mansell and Cliff Martinez are the only composers that make me go see a movie.

Tangerine Dream's soundtracks for Sorcerer, Thief and The Keep are great. Sounds like a maybe a bit of reference is being made to them.

If you haven't heard the Solaris soundtracks (original with Eduard Artemyev and remake), do it!

+1 on Clint Mansell, I loved his soundtrack for "Moon"
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

LOVE the Drive soundtrack... it's the main reason why I started this thread to get a similar bass synth sound... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...mnisphere.html
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

The Chromatics tracks in the Drive soundtrack are top notch. In fact, anything from the Italians Do It Better camp is top notch.
Old 22nd September 2011
interview with cliff martinez about working on the film

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...eat-sound.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
Has anyone out in GS land seen Drive yet? Great, fun film.

The soundtrack is full of some heavy synth driven tracks. Some very cool stuff and I was really enjoying the music throughout the film.
Kind of poppy indie stuff, but cool none the less.

Amazon.com: Drive (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack): Various Artists: Music

The movie is surely a throwback picture with tons of 80's themes right down to the fonts of the opening and closing credits.

The sound of the film was well thoughout and mixed great too.
It is rare to see a new movie where the director doesn't have backround noise, crappy music or non-stop nothing dialog.
The 1st gunshot just jars everyone in theater out of their chair.

It's great to see a film using audio so well and using a heavy synth based soundtrack.

Now if only John Carpenter would make another film with his 70's vintage synth score. I loved his stuff in Assault on Precinct 13.
agreed!
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Did someone mention tron legacy...

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

"Now if only John Carpenter would make another film with his 70's vintage synth score."

This won't happen...because of a few reasons IMO.

1) He's admitted it's too hard to score films AND direct. And he's never asked to score other people's films.

2) Alan Howarth and JC don't seem to keep in contact for whatever reason. And he was the actual Synth dude that mattered.

3) He's Lazy.

4) Listen to his scores as he got older and older and they got worse and worse not better.

This is coming from a huge 70's/80's fan of him as well. I just watched The Ward and he chose on purpose to avoid doing the soundtrack because he felt it was too hard....LOL

If that was me...I wouldn't want anyone but me doing a film I directed....but that's just me I guess. That kinda proves to me his passion is gone and he's just getting old.....hell... I don't blame him...but it's just a sad fact.

My favorite scores were EFNY, Halloween 1/2/3, The Fog, and and Christine.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

2) Alan Howarth and JC don't seem to keep in contact for whatever reason. And he was the actual Synth dude that mattered.

My favorite scores were EFNY, Halloween 1/2/3, The Fog, and and Christine.
Don't forget Dan Wyman, he did the synth work for AOP13, Halloween and The Fog. Moreover, he programmed the synths
on Moroder's Midnight Express* (along with Faltermeyer) and recorded a number of soundtracks on his own, eg Hell Night and
Without warning.

*) the movie version, the soundtrack album was done by Greg Mathieson.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i can't wait to see this movie.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

So I finally got to see this movie...

TERRIBLE.

One of the weakest films I've seen this year-

Like someone took the Fast & Furious 9 script, and gave it to a film student, who was trying to hit a tone somewhere between Kubrick & Von Trier... but had none of the cinematographic skills or emotive tension.

Its only saving grace is Carey Mulligan... who makes any film she's in.
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

The early Crash is my girlfriend's favorite movie. She got the latter version for christmas a few years back, that was awkward. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
At first I thought you were cool...

then not so much...

Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

I liked the movie, but found the soundtrack hollow and distracting to be honest. Every scene had the suspenseful synth sound going and it got to be cheesy by the end.

This was much better
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

"movie was terrible" Alot would disagree. I'm not surprised that you didn't like it Simon.
There are people that didn't like the Dark Knight, Inception, The Shining...etc... can't please everyone.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
I liked the movie, but found the soundtrack hollow and distracting to be honest. Every scene had the suspenseful synth sound going and it got to be cheesy by the end.
Agreed.

I also found that 80s pastiche thing to be really cheesy too.

There are a couple of very good tracks though.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dark Knight, Inception
I personally enjoyed these popcorn films... but they both had some kind of story line, and neither had any delusions about being more than a pulp Hollywood flick. Inception was a bit annoying in that the writers clearly started by sitting down and saying 'Right, how can we re-wrap The Matrix?'.

The plot of Drive is literally no deeper than a Fast & Furious movie- Pro driver moonlighting as a criminal, along comes a love triangle.
YET, the direction was trying to be aesthetically dark/noir- casting red light over the protagonist's face as he goes off to get vengeance etc. I found it very pretentious.

A Separation is BY FAR the best film I've seen this year. I strongly recommend it.
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Maniac

i think this movie sits along very well next to Thief and The Driver.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

I really enjoyed it, great soundtrack and it looked spectacular on a big digital screen. Some pretty OTT violence. Loads of 'montages', quite a surprise when Driver actually speaks after about 20 mins in.

Up there with Super (is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a nutjob with a wrench!) for my favourite film of the year.
Old 15th October 2011
theres a cheapo sci fi flick called Hunter Prey....great cinematography and soundtrack

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search