The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DRIVE Soundtrack is Awesome! Modular Synthesizers
Old 16th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I really enjoyed it, great soundtrack and it looked spectacular on a big digital screen. Some pretty OTT violence. Loads of 'montages', quite a surprise when Driver actually speaks after about 20 mins in.

Up there with Super (is it a bird? is it a plane? no, it's a nutjob with a wrench!) for my favourite film of the year.
super features a great score by tyler bates, awesome film and movie... the drive soundtrack was like the #1 soundtrack on itunes for like a month... wowa...
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
So I finally got to see this movie...

TERRIBLE.

One of the weakest films I've seen this year-

Like someone took the Fast & Furious 9 script, and gave it to a film student, who was trying to hit a tone somewhere between Kubrick & Von Trier... but had none of the cinematographic skills or emotive tension.

Its only saving grace is Carey Mulligan... who makes any film she's in.
I disagree with your assessment.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

First off, Drive was based off a much longer book, then script that was going ot get a big budget. It sat for a long time anf then this guy got ahold of it. Gosling's idea was to remove alot of his own dialogue because he had just done Blue Valentine and though the character would be cooler to say things only when he absolutely had to.

Was it an artistic film, yes.... but it was supposed to be. It was the passion of the director to do an 80's type cheesy movie, except with actual style and substance. I believe he succeeded. Everyone on youtube was looking up the Drive OST....talking about it...this and that....and they didn't need a huge budget to do it either.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Cool article in the LA Times today about Cliff and his Cristal Baschet....

'Drive' composer Cliff Martinez surprised by soundtrack's success - latimes.com
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

i rewatched Drive and found two direct Tangerine Dream references.

A) in the car when the Driver and Irene are on their first "date" alone around the 33 min mark, "Love on a real train" from Risky Business is playing on the car stereo. there's maybe 5 seconds of it but it's definitely that track.

B) when the Driver goes to the strip club, the music from when he enters until he puts the bullet on the guy's forehead is a direct quotation (not a sample, a re-arrangement) from the first movement of "Monolight" from TD's album Encore.

i wish that TD circa 81 had been able to score this movie.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Good Spot...I think I heard TD as well....at least the love on a real train part.
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
At first I thought you were cool...

then not so much...

Haha that first Crash was psychotic! I also liked Drive and the soundtrack.
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
"movie was terrible" Alot would disagree. I'm not surprised that you didn't like it Simon.
There are people that didn't like the Dark Knight, Inception, The Shining...etc... can't please everyone.
How does The Shining get lumped into those?

Drive was .. .eh.
Dark Knight and Inception are... "Radiohead fan" movies..
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post

Drive was .. .eh.
Inception was so awful and boring.

Dark knight ok.

I agree with you about Drive. I liked the mood of the picture, though; Well shot too.
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Guru
Like ... Leonardo's character... not one ounce of a sense of humor... lame!

if I want to watch a bad-ass movie with zero sense of humor.. I'll watch Fire & Ice
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post

Drive was .. .eh.
LOL!!

You are so freakin right!!

I love both of them and Radiohead is tied with Bjork for my overall favorite group ever!!

You were dead on
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Maniac

Is it just me, or does Kavinsky's "Night Call" feel like it's missing a build up in the bridge?
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekf208 View Post
Is it just me, or does Kavinsky's "Night Call" feel like it's missing a build up in the bridge?
Old 2nd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I personally enjoyed these popcorn films... but they both had some kind of story line, and neither had any delusions about being more than a pulp Hollywood flick. Inception was a bit annoying in that the writers clearly started by sitting down and saying 'Right, how can we re-wrap The Matrix?'.

The plot of Drive is literally no deeper than a Fast & Furious movie- Pro driver moonlighting as a criminal, along comes a love triangle.
YET, the direction was trying to be aesthetically dark/noir- casting red light over the protagonist's face as he goes off to get vengeance etc. I found it very pretentious.
I have to agree with some of this-although my views are a little more moderate. Although I enjoyed Drive - it wasnt a 'great' movie IMO. I wanted it to be great but it was about half as good as it could have been...The fact it is being regarded as a 'cult' film and 'cool' is a sad indictment of the boxoffice movie business these days - that something mediocre like this people get really excited about. The fact is that we rarely see anything really ****ing good these days. Drive is pretty average compared to something like 'Fight Club' which is a masterpiece.

There were definitely some good moments - but they werent enough to make a great movie-and there was no consistency. The 'Do you wanna see something' scene being simultaneously the highlight with the College track and beautiful vocal - but also frustrating. In my view there simply was not enough build between the characters at that point to warrant such a touching scene. It just came out of nowhere then abruptly ended. For me these scenic moments really were small islands-almost isolated from the mediocre plot. It didnt feel cohesive. There were moments they nailed the 80s film noir - but then totally lost it. The love triangle is frustrated and not properly consummated, there is the appalling and unnecessary violence of the lift scene...and as Simon said - the plot really is pretty basic and 'Fast and Furious'...with some token film noir and lack of dialogue...Gosling and Mulligan do a good job - but there is a fine line between real tension - and frustration.

Similar with the soundtrack - there are 3/4 decent songs (and I love the Valerie collective). But then it goes into typical boring filmscore. So in a way - I dont feel they couldnt totally commit to the style - and did a sort of 'lite' version...

At least it got made at all and we got a Kavinsky/DP and College track on the big screen - thats something. And Mulligan is so authentic - she anchored the movie. Gosling is decent and I have big love for Bryan Cranston due to my obsession with Malcolm in the Middle...so some nice components...
Old 20th August 2012
Here for the gear

Hey guys. My first time posting here.

I found this soundtrack so inspiring. This is my first attempt at exploring the genre Vance Soundcloud's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 22nd November 2012
Here for the gear

christ that skrillex bit made me laugh so hard
cheers
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel
Ha, this is perfect! I am in complete agreement! Articulating why Radiohead bores is something I'm still working on--glad to see someone else on board. I can't get a Radiohead fan to understand this kind of concept, I think it's a bit too abstract...

Meow, I can't tell if you're in on the joke or not!
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Addict

we need a soundtrack thread. i have some rare and good ones.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Head

The 5 year anniversary for this is coming out on Vinyl I found the soundtrack to work well with the mood of the film (which was mediocre) but didn't really understand the hype over it, maybe ill give it another listen on vinyl or something loud one night and see if I like it more.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search