The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H3000 and dust prevention Analog Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Eventide H3000 and dust prevention

Hello,

I just received an Eventide H3000 today. Needless to say, it sounds amazing.

I have it sitting on top of a DP/4 on a table. I don't have a rack for the two units.

The H3000 chassis has quite a few vents on the top and sides, and you can see the components through the vents. I'm a little concerned about dust getting into the electronics.

I am hesitant to cover it up while it's operating, since it seems like the vents are used for heat dissipation.

The only thing I can think of doing for dust prevention is leave it uncovered when I'm using it, then cover up the vents when it's powered off. I was thinking I might occasionally use compressed air to remove any dust build up.

Or is the H3000 meant to be racked with the unit covered on all sides?

I really want this to last for years, so I'd like to know how to best maintain it.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm sure there is dust already in there since it's an H3000 and is decades old.

you shouldn't worry about it.. more important to keep the vents clear so it stays cool. heat is more damaging to components than dust.

if the dust is keeping you up at night just take the cover off once a year and blow it out.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post

you shouldn't worry about it.. more important to keep the vents clear so it stays cool. heat is more damaging to components than dust.

if the dust is keeping you up at night just take the cover off once a year and blow it out.

Damn. I have an H3000 in a rack case with other racks on top and beneath it. Is that a bad idea?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Damn. I have an H3000 in a rack case with other racks on top and beneath it. Is that a bad idea?
at this point it likely doesn't matter much. so long as there is some exposure to air.

also, i worked at a studio and the rack in one bay was lot's of tube gear on the bottom and some 1073's on the top. he said we should swap that configuration because the heat from the tube gear rising up would just add that much more to the heat generated in the 1073s. he said it would make the caps last longer if we swapped.. though i'm not sure of the longevity difference and it may have just been his rule of thumb. some tube gear gets pretty hot though.

it's a good rule of thumb to have some space between rack gear that gets hot if it is going to be on all the time. .. especially if you are in an un-air conditioned room or a room that gets hot in summer etc...

i just try to make sure there is decent air flow in and around rack gear and when possible have some space between the hot stuff.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post

thanks. looks like the top cover is easily removed for dusting.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search