The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to make loud dense track, yet keeping them dynamic and punchy Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

How to make loud dense track, yet keeping them dynamic and punchy

So here's the idea.
First you split the track into mid and side. On the mid you put a compressor, ratio 10:1 (or more, preferably a limiter with adjustable attack and release - e,g, NOT L2), attack 1.5 - 2 ms, release 45 - 55 ms, and sidechain it with the kick and the snare; adjust the threshold so you get a constant 4 - 6 dB gain reduction (when the drums hit).

Why like this?
First of all, we leave a little bit of transient noise to feel the punch, then we quickly reduce the volume for a fraction, then we get back to normal, giving a quick breath to the rhythm and making it feel like the dynamic range is wider and the track has more punch.
Secondly, we leave the side (atmoshpere, reverb, space) intact, so it won't feel like the whole track is compressed, it'll just give a temporary bigger dynamic range on the "true track", but we leave the room intact...

In other words, what you do is for a short moment, when the kick and/or snare hits, the track doesn't feel compressed, but between these hits, the track sounds huge, loud and dense.

What do you guyst think?

Caveat: this technique might be too obvious on mono.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

No opinions?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't tried it because I'm watching an amazing football game but it seems neat in principle.

However, I prefer the super-squashed aesthetic across the whole track so for someone like myself it may be wasted. That said, I would offer a guess that the general majority of folks here that will be reading it don't enjoy the over-compressed vibe so I would think some may find it useful in the event they actually test it!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

It sounds worth a shot to me. I'll give it a go on my next mix.

Confession time: To be honest, I don't really compress or use any wizardry at all on my instrumental lines. I am a fascist about EQ, and I mix and pan extensively, then throw it at Crysonic's (!) SpectraphyLE, and I am getting radio loud without sounding like it's on the radio.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMurphyMusic View Post
It sounds worth a shot to me. I'll give it a go on my next mix.

Confession time: To be honest, I don't really compress or use any wizardry at all on my instrumental lines. I am a fascist about EQ, and I mix and pan extensively, then throw it at Crysonic's (!) SpectraphyLE, and I am getting radio loud without sounding like it's on the radio.
I use to do nearly the exact same thing!

Unfortunately while my product sounded good, it was never quite the exact good I was looking for.

Then I realized to achieve my ideal version of good I needed to compress e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
yeah that's possible, M/S techniques can be helpful in getting a loud master, also look at a combination of M/S and L/R stems.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey man what do you mean "split the track into mid and side"? Are you talking panning-wise, frequency-wise, or something else?
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Gonna try this when I have more time, sounds extremely fascinating
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Hey man what do you mean "split the track into mid and side"? Are you talking panning-wise, frequency-wise, or something else?
I mean M/S. The L+R is the mid channel (what you hear coming directly from your front) and the L-R is the side channel (what you hear coming from the "sides", where the reverb, fx, "width" is).

You can read more HERE.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
M-S as opposed to stereo.

Here's some information
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6428187-post6.html
M/S Eq'ing - When and When not to
and some from the interwebs
Tutorial - Mid Side Processing - An Explanation to Advanced Widening and Narrowing Audio Effects (pdf)

there's more (do a search)
it's a great way to use processing creatively.

practical application:
you can mix it yourself (using the simple equasion in the top link - substract using inverted signal)
plugs
Simple M/S Processing for Electronic Dance Music?
hardware
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1155452-post36.html
In short: Sound Performance Lab
Old 19th September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Many times I process mid and side separately to enhance the depth and the space sensation while retaining the punch.

It's a great technique that works wonders. Not on everything of course but it does.

Put a compressor with reverb and a m/s plugin like Dr.MS or SPL Passeq on a send and you can play not only with the side levels but with it's texture eq and dynamics also at the same time enhancing the feeling of space.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search