The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic problem: Having trouble sending USB MIDI to two instruments at the same time Control Surfaces
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic problem: Having trouble sending USB MIDI to two instruments at the same time

Hey guys,

Having a problem with logic right now.

Ok so i own a DSI Tetra and Moog SP.

Both are connected to my macbook via USB.

I create 2 external MIDI tracks in logic to use them both at the same time.

Track 1 I select port as 'DSI tetra'.. fine

Track 2 I select port as 'Slim phatty'..sweet.

Annoyingly I check back to track 1 and it seems changing track 2 automatically changed track 1 to 'slim phatty' too.

Whatever I do to one external MIDI channel changes the other.

Are there any work arounds to this? This is so annoying not being able to work both these things at the same time.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Good Morning Mardi Gras,

I have not had a coffee yet so I hope I can explain it properly. You don't need a work around. You should be able to do this.

How are you creating the instruments? Are you doing it like this?
Track>New>External Instrument.

There is also a second way. You might try.

First Go command 8 (apple 8) That opens up the Environment Window.heh. Now on the top left of the window you will see a drop down menu. Click on that. Go to layers and ports. Now you are in the layers menu. Now click on the the tab that say new. When it opens select Instrument. Now you should have a little box or Icon that says "Instrument" in the Environment area proper. Click on instruments triangle tab and drag that to the Sequencer Input icon. Now you should have a black "cable" running between the Instrument and the Sequencer Input. Back on the left hand side click on the box below Clicks and Ports click on the name Instrument and rename it DSI Tetra. Repeat the process for other instruments. Right all done with that? Good. Close the window. Now go back to the arrangement window. Do this.
Track>New>Software Instrument (I know I know)

Now go to the mixer window, select the channel strip for the new "Software Instrument"
Click the box above the I/O window to the drop down menu. You should see in the list of AU's,now select >External Instrument. A black popup window should appear that says External Instrument. It will have a couple drop down menus. Click on the one thats says Midi Destination>Midi Instuments>DSI Tetra. Right all done. Take a look at the Inspector on the left hand side. Ensure all you midi channels are set up properly and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. Like I said no coffee yet so I may have missed or over looked something. Hopefully not. If it doesn't work I will post a link for you.
Take care.
D.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

you are genius sir

Thank you!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
you are genius sir

Thank you!
You are welcome.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yikes, Logic sounds really convoluted and, well, not 'logical'. In every DAW I've used, you just create two midi tracks and set each to a different midi channel and set the corresponding synths to those channels. Each synth only 'sees' it's own midi channel. You can't do something simple like that in Logic??
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes you can!

Logic rules!

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

At Mardi Gras:

Try this out.
Across the top right there are 4 buttons. Media, List, Colours, Bounce.
Click on lists tab.
Now click on the Event tab.
Now press Play+Pause.
Then the hit record button. (Its should start recording as soon as you click unpause.)
Click on an Active (highlighted grey) track lets say your Tetra.
Now turn some knobs on your Tetra.
In the event area on the right you should see all your sysex data from the Tetra listed. Cool eh?

You can use this to go back and edit your sysex/ cc events after recording.

I would suggest, it might be a good idea to make a template that way each time you start Logic your instruments will be defined and you won't have to go though the process of setting them up with each new song.

Its been 6 months or so since I have actually done any of this myself.

Additionally, at the moment I have a Novation Remote and my Cirklon hooked up to my comp via USB. The midi in/out window (bottom right) displays the cc# and the cc amount when I turn an encoder knob on Cirklon. This should also work for my Waldorf Microwave+my Novation. Altho it doesn't seem to show up at the moment.Not sure why. Pretty sure its user error, because I have had it operating in the past. I will see if I can sort that out.

Have fun!
D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search