The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A very stupid question about compresion/limiting Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

A very stupid question about compresion/limiting

hi guys

i am amatuer producer for the most part thou I have been dicking around witht this stuff on my own for years

are limiting, maximizing and compressing all the same thing or differnt variations? i'm confused

I have a melody that that peaks hard in the mix so I want keep the output ceiling low but keeping the over loudness...is a maximizer the best tool for the job?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Well im not 100% certain on what exactly a maximizer does, but im certain its very similar to limiting.

If your melody is "peaking hard" can't you just turn it down in the mix?

If its the dynamics of the sound you want to shape(make more even) you can go ahead and compress it a bit. If its a synth your using I wouldn't use much as it doesnt generally need it. You can also throw a limiter at the END of the chain shaving an extra DB or so off if its still peaking too hard.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

all different

look up the defintions and explanations yourself
ask us when you have a specific question
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

They're all the same in the sense that they affect the dynamics of a sound, they're all volume knobs with a brain controlling it. It's only that logic that changes. A limiter being the simplest, if the volume passes a set threshold it lowers the volume back to that threshold. Bottom line, if you're sound is always above the threshold, you effectively remove all the dynamics in the sound. A compressor is more complex in the sense that it lower the volume by a set ratio and follows an envelope. I'm not exactly sure what a maximizer does but from my understanding it's a mastering limiter so I guess it's a hard compressor follow by a limiter or in other case a multiband compressor/limiter.

Bottom line it really depends on the sound, a compressor can let you shape a sound where as a limiter removes all dynamics past a limit.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

A limiter is a compressor with a ratio of 10:1 to infinity:1
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.lbnc View Post
They're all the same in the sense that they affect the dynamics of a sound, they're all volume knobs with a brain controlling it. It's only that logic that changes. A limiter being the simplest, if the volume passes a set threshold it lowers the volume back to that threshold. Bottom line, if you're sound is always above the threshold, you effectively remove all the dynamics in the sound. A compressor is more complex in the sense that it lower the volume by a set ratio and follows an envelope. I'm not exactly sure what a maximizer does but from my understanding it's a mastering limiter so I guess it's a hard compressor follow by a limiter or in other case a multiband compressor/limiter.

Bottom line it really depends on the sound, a compressor can let you shape a sound where as a limiter removes all dynamics past a limit.
thank u
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search