The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best new synth money can buy Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted User
Best new synth money can buy

What is the best new hardware- or software synth money can buy today? Of course "best" is a definition, but anyhow...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is no best new or best old synth, but I know which new synth I consider the best myself;

I was joking with ATC-X the other night, overdubbing and panning the same sound to get polyphony, with a touch of chorus and reverb from Rumour. Man it sounded teeerrific. Fat, warm and even "vintage". So, my best new synth would be polyphonic Studio Electronics which is CODE 8, with all possible additional filters of course (CS80 is a must).

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

To some:

Buchla and Associates - Series 200e

To others:

shop panels

To still Others:

C.O.D.E.

To Most:

Spectrasonics - Products - Omnisphere - Power Synth

To those in the know:

MetaSynth 5

Beer.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I had lots and lots of money, I'd surely get the following new synths:

Buchla 200e (a really big system)
John Bowen Solaris
Sonic Core XITE-1
Studio Electronics CODE 8 (with all the filters)
Symbolic Sounds Kyma Pacarana (probably more than one)

And probably a Korg Kronos, just because a ROMpler would be nice to have too (and those extra synth types might be interesting, despite I haven't tried one yet...).

And for sure, some modular more Moog-like, but I'm not sure which one I'd choose...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rex at STS is still making Serge modular systems. Price has increased a lot since I bought my panels but still a better deal than the Buchla I think (and doesn"t have the Buchla's separation of CVs and audio philosophy).

Alesis Andromeda (can't get them new any more I suppose but relatively recently made).
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd love to try a Serge and Buchla someday, but if I had an extra $20,000 or so, I would buy first a 12-module Wiard Series 300 system. They restarted production after being sort of discontinued for years, and I think it's not going to last long.

Oh, **** it... let's just say: Beermaster's modular system (all of it). heh
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

if you want something simple, easy to learn, and great sounding id go sylenth.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

What are you (the OP) planning to use it for? No matter how expensive, no synth covers it all.

If you want an all in one solution, maybe a Korg Kronos?
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
What are you (the OP) planning to use it for? No matter how expensive, no synth covers it all.

If you want an all in one solution, maybe a Korg Kronos?
I am very well aware of that there is no such thing as a single "best synth" for every one, for every category and for every situation. That's why I and many others have more instruments than shirts and will frequently hear comments like "do you really need that synth, you have already so many...it was only some months since you bought...." from our beloved. Just checking the terrain with new high end synths / really good gear of today, not just from the past.

Kronos is one synth I had in mind of reflections, but have not tried it out yet (tried the "fore runner" Oasys - a wonderful workstation that I would love to have, but not for that price tag).

I am an anlog freak and therefore I would love to have, when it comes to new synths" a system of 16 linked Minimoog Voyager for polyphony and layers, including all the Moog foogers. That wold be something of a new dream synth to me if money was not an issue.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
I am an anlog freak and therefore I would love to have, when it comes to new synths" a system of 16 linked Minimoog Voyager for polyphony and layers, including all the Moog foogers. That wold be something of a new dream synth to me if money was not an issue.
What about an Alesis Andromeda?
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
What about an Alesis Andromeda?
Nice synth, no doubt. But discontinued.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Are you looking for a poly or mono?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well of course this is just an opinion but here goes.

V-synth GT or Virus Ti2 for poly's

moog voyager for mono

plugs Alchemy, omnisphere, zebra 2, toxic biohazard.

Does anyone know if Waldorf is currently making anything other than the blofeld?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmm, software's fairly easy to call, IMHO. The widely accepted 'big dogs' in software are presently Omnisphere, Alchemy, Zebra and D-Cam; Synth Squad.

Hardware is tough, because in order to survive everything's gone boutique and scurrying to fill a niche;

...you have the modular corner, in which I'd include the semi-modular stuff like the SEMs and the Cwejman S1. No one piece on its own takes the cherry but there's much love for Serge, Makenoise, MOTM and Wiard...
Then there's the uber-workstation corner, filled full with Motifs, Kurzweils, Kronoses and Jupiter-80's..
then across the way is the big-hitting VA's, the Virus, Solaris, Clavia Nords... with the Machinedrum and Monomachine snarling from the sidelines..
then you have the analogue boxes, where DSI, Moog are the major players, with Vermona, Doepfer, and others fighting for your business.

What's best? It's all good...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estin View Post
Does anyone know if Waldorf is currently making anything other than the blofeld?
They still make the Q+, don't they?

That would be a cool choice too, and a synth that I'd love to get too...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you want an analog polysynth, there's the Schmidt:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...polysynth.html
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Massive
Zebra 2
Omnisphere
Sylenth
Albino
Operator

Game over.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You're the 'analog prophet'...you tell us oh wise one
Old 18th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
You're the 'analog prophet'...you tell us oh wise one

Thou sayeth the one with detuned oscillators:
Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee
behold, that is the synth I can see
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Komplete 8 Ultimate, hands-down.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Schmidt is what you are looking for.

It's not what I'd personally blow that wad
on, but for what you want, that's it.

Another is the Solaris, but not analog.
It's a high-resolution VA designed by the
creator, the source of your visions.

And I think it sounds very good.
I want one.
Old 18th September 2011
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
They still make the Q+, don't they?
I'm pretty sure they haven't made that for a while now.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

omnisphere was worth every penny in my opinion. The samples sound spot on like the vintage ones.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I'm pretty sure they haven't made that for a while now.
Thats what i thought. I'd really like to see Waldorf release a big new 61 key knobby poly. If not i'll end up having to snag a virus Ti. Would prefer waldorf though.
Old 18th September 2011
Deleted User
If the Oberheim SO4V is as good as its predecessor that will be a serious candidate to one of the best synths money can buy, at least when it comes to analog polyphonic synts. The ability to link two of them together sounds very interesting to me, except when it comes to the pricetag.

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the Oberheim SO4V is as good as its predecessor that will be a serious candidate to one of the best synths money can buy, at least when it comes to analog polyphonic synts. The ability to link two of them together sounds very interesting to me, except when it comes to the pricetag.

they should have cut back on that thing, made it less ****ing HUGE and axed the cost of it in half.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Solaris is amazing. This coming from me who never has liked a VA. The UI is great as well.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Studio Electronics CODE 8 (currently on production)

Synthex Elka (old and discontinued)
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

piano lessons

Hurhur

Jack of all trades: Intel i7 + komplete + reaper
master of one: Fr 777
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is the best new hardware- or software synth money can buy today? Of course "best" is a definition, but anyhow...
just the same as it was in the past.. oberheim 4 voice.. just you only need 4k now not 12 anymore

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search