The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best new synth money can buy Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Best analog synth? Too subjective. Ask 10 people what their favorite is, and you're likely to get 10 different answers. I like the old stuff, but that's just me. I would buy a CODE 8 with lots of extra filters if I had to start over.

Best digital synth? For what kind of "digital" sounds? Again, too subjective. I like Waldorfs and Viruses, but your results may vary.

Best rompler synth? A PC or Mac with libraries from Quantum Leap and Spectrasonics. Then add your favorite VSTI's from NI, Korg, etc.

There is no ONE synth, unless you want to sample everything into ONE library. Even then it's not the same as having a well balanced collection. When you sample it, you "freeze" it.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

it is all subjective,
looking at specs the Solaris or a well-configured top-of-the-line computer would seem ideal.
but i find the SOUND and vibe of those to be lackluster and drab more often than not - so why phucking bother?

so taking into account build quality, timbral range, interface, aesthetics, musicality and sheer sonic power, these are at the top:

modcan a system
serge modular
buchla 200e
wiard 1200/300/malekko-euro
mos-lab (closest moog modular clone around)
macbeth mk1&x-series modulars
synton phenix
anyware tinysizer
motm or modcan b 5U system

new moogs, andromeda, evolver(nice but no cigar) etc can't get anywhere near the sonic range and sheer audio bliss of the ones i listed above. i tried or have had them all.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post

Thou sayeth the one with detuned oscillators:
Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee
behold, that is the synth I can see
heh
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Of course "best" is a definition
Pretty much makes any answer meaningless doesn't it? tutt
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Moog Voyager. Of all the current crop of new synths I think it's got an amazing sound, superior build quality, and it's just so inviting to play and tweak. Plus, you can expand it to semi-modular status with the VX box and some Moogerfoogers.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

well, it's pretty hard to define best but if you want to know the latest soft synths stuff then I wrote some small article introducing 11 soft synths released in 2011

Interesting Soft Synths released in 2011 | VST Cafe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search