The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JoMox XBase 888 or 999??
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeat View Post
I see that there's an 888 version for the 999, or at least it sounds like it since it's called:
X999_888_OS112.MID
But this would install 888 v.1.112.
Since there is actually a newer 888 version, X888_OS113.MID I'm wondering which version is better?
Anyone has tried these?
I've been running that 888-v112 on my 999 for a long while now. It gives you the noise tune and the possibility for a flatter, more 808 like kick in exchange for your filter. It's far from bug free (mostly just annoyances), but then again there has _never_ been a solid OS for the 999.

If you don't like it, you can put it back.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear
Yea, I had way too buggy a 999 it was annoying. IT was more buggy than the tempest, and people bitch about that a lot more!

To me TR909 had more stability at it's age! crazy! new stuff should be more stable...

That being said, I also had a Jomox Sunsyn that had a broken voice board or two!:-( I had to pay to ship the boards back, was expensive!

Oh, it was brand new too...
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
I bought an 888 from a guy running the 888 OS on his 999. He was happy with it.

Be careful which MIDI interface you use though. A lot of them don't work. I had some trouble and had to use my buddy's Lynx interface to update the OS.
Jomox provides a midi test utility that is useful.

I did some driver updates for my audio card and it broke the midi. It used to work and the other day i spent a few hours trying to figure out what was going on since i couldn't upload samples properly to my 999. The midi test utility indicated that the problem was my interface. Had another midi interface around and this one was fine. I then proceeded to the upload of my samples
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

888os -> 999

Thanks guys.
I installed the 888-v112.
It works. Buggy it is... but works
Curious thing, when I was using the 999OS, if I muted all instruments I could still hear sounds coming out, bleeding thru the headphones... That freaked me out a bit I must say. Anyway, after installing the 888-v112 there's no more of that (wtf?)
I'm enjoying it very much, love the sound of it. Wish the Jomox guy (Jurgen?) took the time to fix all the bugs! I mean, it's not a cheap box, and for that price one would expect a finished OS... Come on! It's been in the market for years already...
Read some comments somewhere saying Jomox will not release anymore updates because the memory on the box is full already :( Can anyone confirm?
I have sent 3 emails to Jomox in the last week and still mo answer.

Anyone have used the 888 v113 on the 999?
If so, please share your experience.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

I had the thing with the bleeding sounds too. I think it was through the filter, but there was a way to fully mute it. Unfortunately this also kills the filter. 888v112 is the way. (Edit: use the individual outs, much better sound. No filter but no bleed and less vca clicking/noise.)

Yeah the OS situation is stupid. I wish there was a JJOS for this thing. If it didn't sound so good I would have been rid of it long ago. I have evolved my own ways of working around its shortcomings.

It is not possible to use the v113 on the 999.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

Thanks GrantB.
If Jurgen is not going to improve the OS he should at least let other people do it.
It's just not fair with us, the users.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Nut

I think Jurgen was at Namm but i'm not sure he responds to every email either...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search