The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JoMox XBase 888 or 999??
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
I have a tempest, but I like the Jomox sound more for drums. I'm still learning the tempest but I'm hoping to use it as a synth groove box more than a drum machine.

I think the Jomox sounds great dry. The WA sample are pretty close (the kick especially) but some are distorted and more obviously post processed.

The rest of the sounds are sample based, and you can load your own over midi (takes a while but I believe you can load around 25-30 kits). This is an advantage over the Tempest right now.

You can also do cool stuff like load a chord into a rimshot/crash slot and then tune it per step on your pattern.

I've never used an MD so I can't comment on the unit. I hear the interface is great but I chose the Jomox for the sound. I don't think the interface is bad, I read the manual and was able to figure out the different modes. I wish the encoders on mine were less jumpy but they are usable.
Just with it's own sounds (not additional samples) can it do way more than a 909 and create a wide variety of sounds or will it always end up sounding like a 909/808 clone unless you process it? I kind of want something with rock solid punch but that I can get creative with too.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Just with it's own sounds (not additional samples) can it do way more than a 909 and create a wide variety of sounds or will it always end up sounding like a 909/808 clone unless you process it? I kind of want something with rock solid punch but that I can get creative with too.
It has its own sound. I don't think of it as a 909 clone or an 808 clone. Without samples the only sounds that are analog are the kick, toms, and snare. You are not going to create tempest style synth sounds with those voices, although they have a lot of options (specifically the kick).

You can set parameters for each sound per step so you can tune the kicks/toms to create rhythms that wouldn't be possible on the 909. With the sample based sounds you can even load a separate sample per step. This is great feature you won't find on a 909.

but if you want a 909 or an 808 buy one.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has its own sound. I don't think of it as a 909 clone or an 808 clone. Without samples the only sounds that are analog are the kick, toms, and snare. You are not going to create tempest style synth sounds with those voices, although they have a lot of options (specifically the kick).

You can set parameters for each sound per step so you can tune the kicks/toms to create rhythms that wouldn't be possible on the 909. With the sample based sounds you can even load a separate sample per step. This is great feature you won't find on a 909.

but if you want a 909 or an 808 buy one.
Nope, don't want a 909 or 808 - I samples cover these for me and there's always the D16 stuff. I want a drum machine that won't be limited to its own sound like the 909 and 808 are if you know what I mean. So its versatile enough to not have a signature sound. I guess I want to get creative with drum synthesis possibly with hardware. Fxpansions Tremor has got my attention though!

Setting parameters per step sounds excellent - Is that just like MDs parameter locks? Is there no clap on the 888 or 999 or only on the 999?
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
Nope, don't want a 909 or 808 - I samples cover these for me and there's always the D16 stuff. I want a drum machine that won't be limited to its own sound like the 909 and 808 are if you know what I mean. So its versatile enough to not have a signature sound. I guess I want to get creative with drum synthesis possibly with hardware. Fxpansions Tremor has got my attention though!

Setting parameters per step sounds excellent - Is that just like MDs parameter locks? Is there no clap on the 888 or 999 or only on the 999?
I have never used the MDs, but from what I've heard it is like the parameter locks. You can have a different clap/rim sound per step and the parameters for that sound can be set per step. So for example you could vary the decay on a snare throughout the pattern or pitch a tom to create a bassline.

There are clap sounds, and plenty, but they are sample based. You load in ~30 samples to suit your own style, they get played back with standard controls, attack, decay, pitch, etc... and go through the Jomox's nice VCA. They sound really great and punchy to me. Keep in mind though that you don't HAVE to load a clap sound into the clap banks though. I have some snares in my clap bank and even some one hit synth stabs and vocal snippets. Same goes with crashes, I don't need 30 crashes, so I've loaded some bass sounds and chord sounds in the crash bank. I can pitch those per step, which gives me a lot more flexibility.

The analog sounds have a lot of options and sound pretty good (specifically the kick) but it's not trying to be a synth, so you won't have as wide a palette as something like the Tempest, or a software drum synth. The reason people like the Jomox (myself included) is because it sounds good at what it does. You have more options than you would get from a 909/808 while still being able to pull off that classic analog drum machine sound that software and digital machines may struggle with. Take a look at the labels for the knobs to see the variety of parameters you have for the sounds.

Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are clap sounds, and plenty, but they are sample based. You load in ~30 samples to suit your own style, they get played back with standard controls, attack, decay, pitch, etc... and go through the Jomox's nice VCA. They sound really great and punchy to me. Keep in mind though that you don't HAVE to load a clap sound into the clap banks though. I have some snares in my clap bank and even some one hit synth stabs and vocal snippets. Same goes with crashes, I don't need 30 crashes, so I've loaded some bass sounds and chord sounds in the crash bank. I can pitch those per step, which gives me a lot more flexibility.
Does the XBase 999 allow you to load 30 samples per instrument or 30 samples total?
Old 10th January 2012
Gear Head

To anyone considering the 999 I can tell you right now the interface is simply nutz...sound GOOD but man....giving her a trial this week otherwise straight back she goes
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Does the XBase 999 allow you to load 30 samples per instrument or 30 samples total?
Per instrument. You can download the editor and check it out.
http://www.jomox.de/product_details....1&product_id=1

Banks 05 - 31 are user editable. The first banks are factory sounds.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAUBERSONIC View Post
To anyone considering the 999 I can tell you right now the interface is simply nutz...sound GOOD but man....giving her a trial this week otherwise straight back she goes
+1
yeah beware...the manual is not much help, either

while it took me about 5 minutes to learn my electribes and TR-boxes, the 999 is another undertaking altogether....took me weeks to sort out how edit and master buttons affects the pattern&perform modes, as programming per-step (parameter locks) is nowhere near as easy as Elektron's method - the first couple times I needed a pencil&paper to know what I was changing.
...not to mention Song mode (good luck)

but the sound is worth it!
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Head

Thx for the song mode heads up man, still trying to work this filter, geeezuz...
Does anyone use this feature OFTEN?

The signal routing :[ *... turn around... and walk backwards, and sideways.
The word I was looking for was CRYPTIC, somewhat disappointing for the price but with the sound I can see why some keep them as sole drum module.

Not much 999 talk on GS though...
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

I don't get why people think the interface is so cryptic. It's not as easy as a 909, but thats because the device is more complex. It took me 20mins after reading the manual to get going.

I bought an MPC 1000 about a month ago and I put it on the shelf because there's so much menu diving but I never hear anyone complaining about them. Different strokes I guess.
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Head

The key words there are "after reading the manual"...
Getting on it.
Old 15th January 2012
I've given up on using the interface on my 999, I just treat it as a midi device and sequence it - just because I prefer to use it that way anyways.

If anything other than a new and great sounding VCO analogue kick/snare/tom is important to you, I'd look elsewhere. That's all I wanted and I have no regrets. My main annoyance with it is the only midi / usb device I have is a midi sport, which has known problems for OS updates.
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I've given up on using the interface on my 999, I just treat it as a midi device and sequence it - just because I prefer to use it that way anyways.

If anything other than a new and great sounding VCO analogue kick/snare/tom is important to you, I'd look elsewhere. That's all I wanted and I have no regrets. My main annoyance with it is the only midi / usb device I have is a midi sport, which has known problems for OS updates.
You have quite an arsenal going there...how you like the futureretro? Aren't you missing out on some of the 999 features?
Old 17th January 2012
The FRXS is fantastic, very inspiring to me, even more so thru moogerfoogers.

I got a drum layering book recently that required some Windows tools for the examples, so after being Linux exclusive for a long time, I finally got a dual boot machine. I got a few drum tab books too, so I plan on diving deep into the Jomox here shortly. Sequencing and processing my own drum patterns in general for me require some effort - its one of my goals for the year to get better at it.
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAUBERSONIC View Post
To anyone considering the 999 I can tell you right now the interface is simply nutz...still trying to work this filter, geeezuz...
Does anyone use this feature OFTEN?
This really puts me off the 999. I love the Jomox percussive sound (I have the Airbase99). To my ears they are the best for hard techno drums. But the filter on any synth should be simple, as it's surely the most-used synthesis parameter of all time!

Is the 888 appreciably easier to use?
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

whats the deal with the UI ??
on my old xbase I could program each step by simply selecting it (blinking) twisting the knobs and then confirming that by pressing the step again (sustain led) .. very very simple and effective ... is this not the case with the 888 &999 ? ..
thx!
Old 18th January 2012
Bio
Lives for gear

There is some part that are more cryptic, like the song mode or the filters for the 999.

Others than that it's really easy and intuitive once you read the manual or spend a little time at programming, even more if you allready know the Xbase 09 and/or Airbase 99.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda View Post
whats the deal with the UI ??
on my old xbase I could program each step by simply selecting it (blinking) twisting the knobs and then confirming that by pressing the step again (sustain led) .. very very simple and effective ... is this not the case with the 888 &999 ? ..
thx!
Yeah that's how you do it on the 999. I think what might throw people off is the different modes, which change the context of the buttons.
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
But the filter on any synth should be simple, as it's surely the most-used synthesis parameter of all time!
To be fair, after a bit more time with the machine I think I could get around the filter routing ok and I'm no expert.
Was a bit harsh up there... it's pretty bad, not crazy. However, combined with the tiny display/modes as mentioned, things get dicey.
It's a "really think first then touch" machine to me right now, like a console you don't know well. But it's a bloody drum machine!
Not "jammin" on it yet, so I'll have a jam on the tempest,
but it's drum palette isn't anything like the 999's is it?

Again: Coming from inexperienced user with no intention of bashing Jomox, I think Juergen is G' as **** for making this
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
Sequencing and processing my own drum patterns in general for me require some effort - its one of my goals for the year to get better at it.
Me too man...fairly obsessed ...what book you get? Had to reign in that xs gas with all these new synthies dropping :(
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

I had an 888 and ended up selling it. It sounded great, but the interface was something only a German could love. This, when combined with the broken English of the manual, was a huge turnoff. I really loved the sound of it though. Maybe I'll buy another one day, and use it as a module instead of as a dedicated drum machine. For now, I'm sticking to a MDUW+ (with 888 samples) triggering my modular for additional analogness. And Maschine. I do miss the sound of the 888.
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I had an 888 and ended up selling it. It sounded great, but the interface was something only a German could love. This, when combined with the broken English of the manual, was a huge turnoff.
yup, many go that route...can't blame you, I'm trying not to think of selling until I've at least plowed through the whole manual...
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a link to a track that I used the 888 on for percussion. The kick, snare, and hats are all 888. Sounds good, no?
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Nice track and great use of swing on the high hats. I owned a 999 and miss it terribly. I will buy another one day. It took me a good year to get in the flow of using it and actually be creative with the filter. Here is the deal, the strength of the 888/999 is the fact that you can alter the parameters of each individual step for each instrument. So instead of a straight beat you can utilize swing, change the tuning, attack, decay, sustain or whatever you want on every step, this can lead to some really cool things. You can also sequence the 999 filter in this way. It is a programers tool and if you are stopping at using it as a midi module or just doing straight beats you spent way too much money for it. Song mode is the one thing I never got to function properly and I also had issues with changing a kit on one pattern affecting the other patterns as well. The 999 is a beast. I do have a question for any of you who have one of the new ones with the gold or silver knobs: are these still encoders and are they jumpy? The encoders did bug me, made it too hard to land on a precise pitch sometimes.
Quote:

Here's a link to a track that I used the 888 on for percussion. The kick, snare, and hats are all 888. Sounds good, no?
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

Jomox Xbase 999

I had a Tr909 way back and it was very good. It was in the 90s when they
got popular and I first thought the snare had a faultt, it sounded terrible
until I used it more and I eard how it blended into any mix. Now I have the Xbase 999 , first I was very impressed but after using it for a month and only
that I started using samples again. Then when I again used the 999 I was
amazed about the "soul" it has. Its simply magic. Just repeat f.x the snare
and it magic. I dont think anyone would miss anything f.s a 909. But
myself today I would go for the 888 since the filter is more annoying than good,
I think it has to be bypassed! But I just use it with MIDi-trigging, not much
the inbuilt sequencer, Itsa amazing and magic, just get one if you can.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
Nice track and great use of swing on the high hats. I owned a 999 and miss it terribly.
Don't worry; she went to a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudzero View Post
But myself today I would go for the 888 since the filter is more annoying than good,I think it has to be bypassed! But I just use it with MIDi-trigging, not much the inbuilt sequencer, Itsa amazing and magic, just get one if you can.
999 can load the 888 OS, no?
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very nice track, did you use anything analog besides the jomox on this track ? (it sounds like)

How did you tracked and mastered it ?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

888os -> 999

I went to the shop today, to buy a 888.
Took it home and after 30 min I was making some patterns.
Love it.
Unfortunately, one of the step sequencer's buttons was not working properly.
I went back to the store and it turns out that they didn't have any more 888.
I had to buy a 999.
As much as I like the 999 (I don't think the filter is THAT complicated), I really like 888 sound more.
I know that you can install the 888 OS into the 999.
Anyone has experience doing this? Stable?
Which version would be right?
I see that there's an 888 version for the 999, or at least it sounds like it since it's called:
X999_888_OS112.MID
But this would install 888 v.1.112.
Since there is actually a newer 888 version, X888_OS113.MID I'm wondering which version is better?
Anyone has tried these?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

Would love to get a 999, sounds fantastic.. Would give up my FRXS for it
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

I bought an 888 from a guy running the 888 OS on his 999. He was happy with it.

Be careful which MIDI interface you use though. A lot of them don't work. I had some trouble and had to use my buddy's Lynx interface to update the OS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search