The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best college in your opinion. Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Don't waste your life and money and time on a course that will teach you nothing that you couldn't learn on your own. The technical part of modern Music Production is the really easy bit and nobody needs to study this at a college or school. The hard bit is the MUSIC.

If you don't have any experience and ability with a musical instrument and some pretty good understanding of music theory then attending a post graduate course in music tech will be a complete waste ( they -the course organisers and benefactors - won't tell you this tho ! ) Without some decent grounding in music theory and being able to play the keyboard to a level BEFORE you attend one of these faux courses makes it doubly worse.

IT's kind of like going to a study to be a fully trained chef.... and spending all of your time at college studying how the oven and grill works..... how the blender and food processors work... how to use a spatular sieve. But NOT learning how to make recipes, not learning how to construct sauces, prepare meats, marinades, etc.

Knowing how the kitchen works is pointless if you don't know how to construct a recipe of your own and make a dish. Knowing how to use an oven is simple.... learning how to cook is another world away.

Hardly any of these music production courses are honest with their students about what they offer in terms of what is useful in real life when you graduate and hit the streets to try and pay back your debts and earn a living. The sad truth is that there are hundreds of Music Tech colleges that have sprung up to make money for themselves and cater to mass of wide eyed students who think that this will educate them in a useful way with a tangible job option at the end. - If you don't have any musical experience before starting a college course and expect to be able to learn this stuff as well as learning your tech stuff whilst doing the course then you're really wasting your time. Far better to get a basic job and learn as much as you can musically in your own spare time over a period of say three years then go and study.

Coming out of one of these courses knowing how use the kitchen but not being able to cook is what happens to hundreds of students who come out of these courses every year. What's worse tho is that now they've wasted three years of their lives, got themselves in all kinds of debt, haven't learned what the should (and what they have learned puts them no father forward compared to the people who worked it out on their own at home) and the final insult being they have no possible career path to pay things back either

Sorry to be a hard but people have to realistic about what opportunities are out there, what you need to know, what you don't. But most of all, how not to be ripped off and screwed into taking an education which is pointless.

Beer
Best assessment I've seen in a long time, and applicable to this kind of third-rate "training" that is being promoted in lieu of a real college education, by corporations that want unthinking slaves for employees.

Do NOT give in to this vicious mentality.

You'll be far better off going to a real, top-notch liberal arts college instead.

In the US, a good privatel-funded one, like Swarthmore, or Princeton, will actually be cheaper, too; they're well endowed (unlike public universities, whose budgets have been gutted by the economic collapse), and will provide excellent scholarships and large grants that will leave you significantly less in debt than Corpo-College when you graduate. You're also more likely to come out of a place like that in four years instead of six (Corpo-College will make it difficult for you to find courses needed for you to complete your "track," thus extending your stay.... and their profit at your permanent expense....). And with an educational background that is solid and broad enough to give you the foundation for real success later in life.

I say this from very positive experience, as a Swarthmore graduate who's had a good six-figure income most of his life. And my major was in literature.
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Nut

I will be going to Touch IMW in Islington soon. Its pretty cheap and allows me to continue working full time, so the money isnt an issue.
I dont really expect to get any kind of future in the industry because a) I am not a youngun b) I have little musical talented and c) the jobs are fairly scarce.

Doing it mainly for my own interest/bedroom recording.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I agree that it really depends on what you put into it, and knowing what you want to learn. I have gotten some GREAT skills & knowledge out of various courses at PCC (Pasadena City College, not a prestigeous audio college) because I had a huge interest in learning how to do what I wanted to do. To be more precise: I would try to teach myself what I needed to get the results I wanted outside of class, then when I would show up in class, I would already have some understanding of everything the professor taught, and listening to him elaborate would trigger a more complete understanding of these things I had been trying to teach myself, and prompt me to actually ask questions about application because I could totally comprehend what I was being taught, and wanted to learn how to best use it. If you go to class and just take notes on everything, you will be spending all of your lecture time trying to picture what the professor is talking about, or watch what he is doing, rather than actually being able to think about how you would actually use it in a studio/production application. I also knew what courses I wanted to take, from recording to electronic music production to mastering to electronic fundamentals to more serious engineering classes (I originally and still do have interest in recording, making music, and building/repairing/understanding synthesizers) and I knew that these classes would teach me what I needed to do these things. If you just go into an audio school, they will teach you a standard course of things that they teach everybody - not necessarily what you will be interested in or want to spend your time and effort learning.

The most important thing is to take your time to fully learn what you want to, and be able to talk to your professors and get the knowledge you want out of them. School only gives you the tools and resources - It's up to you to get the most out of them, and most of all, to KNOW what you want to get out of them!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search