The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fractal Audio Axe FX Analog Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fractal Audio Axe FX

Anyone using a Fractal Audio Axe FX in the studio?

How is it on synths and drums etc? (i.e. No guitars involved at all)

Good studio tool? Or really suited to guitar heads?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its pretty good but ideally more suited for guitar. For the price you can get an Eventide H3000 and still have a lot of $$$ left over. I think the Eventide effects are a little better.

The Eventide Eclipse is also fantastic but I like the H3000 display better.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

I find it to be highly valuable in the studio...especially the Axe FX II with it's USB connection. I use it on everything from guitars/bass, drums, synths and vocals.

The effects have been improved in the II and sound great. The amp models are also useful tools for things other than guitars.

I had an Ultra for 3 years that I loved. Haven't mic'd an amp in that time. I did find some of the effects to be a bit clinical sounding. I never considered selling it until the new unit was announced.

You can buy a used unit to try for yourself and sell it for the same price if you don't like it. Fractal offers a money back 7 or 10 day trial if you buy new.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was a disbeliever in this thing until a friend of mine got one, I've only heard it on guitar but whatever in the hell is in there it sounds legitimately bad ass.

I'm not sure how it does live because I heard it in a controlled setting but it definitely surprised me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

One other thing I forgot to mention is the flexibility it offers with routing the signal. You can freely place effects anywhere in the signal path and have up to 4 different paths.

Effects (and there is a ton) can easily be placed in series or parallel and almost any parameter can be modulated. There are lfos, envelope followers, a sequencer and control pedals can be connected as well. The possibilities are endless.

One thing I've been playing with lately is with a delay and filter. Setup a delay, feed it a signal and activate the hold function creating a drone sound. This is fed into a filter being modulated by the sequencer and then a tape delay.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been an AxeFx user for about 3 years now and it replaced all the amps in my guitar rig. Both live straight to PA and in the studio its great.
Also sounds great as an FX box on synths and drum machines, simulating a synth going through a Vox AC30 or Marshall stack is a beautiful thing and the routing possibilities of it is really well thought out and flexible, you can feed any effect into any other effect in any order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search