The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Leipzig-S
Old 9th October 2013
There are lots of combinations with the built in sequencer and its modulations and a lot to tweak, take the time to explore it, you will get fantastic results out of it

I love this synth
Old 9th October 2013
Lives for gear

WOW! This thing sounds epic - I was already having enough conflict before I fell in love with the sounds of the Vermona PerFourMer but this has definitely got my interests piqued, least not with a key version.

Now it's off to do some reading as to which, out of the PerFourMer, Mono Lancet combo and Leipziq-sk will suit my styling better (or maybe takes me somewhere new!)
Old 9th October 2013
^ Just out of curiosity is your reaction to my recent vid post or you just discover the unit via this thread in general?
Old 9th October 2013
Lives for gear

Little bit of 50/50 there, though I obviously stumbled on the thread first.
Watched all of the videos on this thread - though in relation to yours, I'm also looking toadd an MS2000 so that was a bonus

It looks like a such a great synth - immediately playable but I get the impression it's deceptively complex in what it can achieve sound wise.
Old 9th October 2013
Cool man. It's just nice to know if I was instrumental in the hype.
And you're spot on about the Leipzig-s... though its not fair to make any conclusions having owned it only one day, it looks incredibly complicated and not intuitive at all but I know it can do cool stuff, so hopefully it's just a matter of time to get to know it better.
Old 9th October 2013
It is a fully analog synth, even the sequencer and every function has its own knob
it is big and built like a tank and everything reminds me on the old Model D
and it sounds much better than a voyager
there is no menu or something like that, you can everything trying by doing

the only digital thing is midi, there is one knob for that, play your keyboard at the channel you wish, push that button - done, there is not more to "program"
heh

i could not believe that today synth like that are still build - for that price, handmade in Britain from one person: Tom Carpenter
Old 9th October 2013
Best quote from the online manual in regards to one of the functions:

"Oscillator sync is where the VCO’s waveform can be reset by another signal. Don’t worry about the technicalities. Just use the feature and enjoy the sound!"

(bold added for emphasis by myself lol)
Old 9th October 2013
Lives for gear

This thing sounds like a dream - and I really like the idea of buying British (as I've said in other threads, I'm soon to be buying a Cirklon too).

Definitely going on the short list with the PerFourMer (so there might be a thread of P4M vs L-s which starts with me getting downvoted and culminates in buying both lol).

Thanks for sharing your videos and opinions here guys.
Old 10th October 2013
That PerFourMer looks cool! I'll bet that's not cheap either...

I did another little jam using the Leipzig-s if anyone cares.
The first loop you hear however comes from the Korg MS2000R:

Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dam your eyes sir - that sound!

The PerFourMer mk2 is about the same price as the Leipzig-sk (and would be so beautiful together...)
Old 10th October 2013
Cool sounds , experiment with attack & release, that in combination with other things sometimes does real (good) crazy things
Old 10th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
The PerFourMer mk2 is about the same price as the Leipzig-sk (and would be so beautiful together...)
Considering how much gear I've acquired just over the past couple months... I think I'll be good for a while. I need time to learn what I now own! (;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACID BATTLE View Post
Cool sounds , experiment with attack & release, that in combination with other things sometimes does real (good) crazy things
Hmmmm.... I didn't see any ADSR-type features on the Leipzig... though maybe its hidden, just as Resonance is labeled "Emphasis".
Old 10th October 2013
No, there are no special features for that listed or described.
But the behavior with that is sometimes so completly different to that used by other synth, i cannot describe it better - try out
Old 10th October 2013
Fair enough.
And I must say from the little bit that I've tinkered w/ the Leipzig-s I've seen how it does seem to have a life of its own at times... or just the behavior seems unpredictable, or I'm still totally not understanding the flow of things.
Either way, it does carve out some amazing analog sounds. This is a keeper for sure. A very unique machine.

I looked at the Vermona Perfourmer line and have no interest in the MKII... I do, however, like the original one (looks similar to the DRM-1), but I think it would force me to have to buy a 2nd MAQ 16/3 just to operate it since it's like several synths in one. Crazy stuff.
Old 11th October 2013
Actually, digging further into the manual I found the Leipzig-s DOES have ADSR envelope control, its just, again, a bit cryptically labeled:

(pay very close attention to the THICKNESS of the line on the wave drawing)

Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does this thing do soft, warm and creamy as well as the more punchy, percussive and possible aggressive sounds (as it appears to be praised for).
I'm down to a very shaky and expensive 3g data from my archaic phone at the moment so chasing YT vids might cost as much as the synth itself!
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm waiting till next check and I'm getting the one without the sequencer the bass on it is huge!
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm quite sold on pairing this (key version) with the Vermona PerFourMer; but if they both cover exactly (or VERY similar) the same ground then I'd go for Leipzig (first lol)
Old 14th October 2013
Old 24th October 2013
I just now finally sampled Hogberto's little loops - they're NICE! Sorry I missed them before. Samples like these help me feel better about the Leipzig-s, as I'm still figuring out this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
had a bit of fun with the Leipzig-S last night.

thought i'd upload a bass part in case anyone is looking for audio examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
here's another little demo of the Leipzig-S sequencing itself:

Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
I just now finally sampled Hogberto's little loops - they're NICE! Sorry I missed them before. Samples like these help me feel better about the Leipzig-s, as I'm still figuring out this beast.
hey, happy to help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search