The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Leipzig-S Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I bought one from Noisebug last week when they had a 15% off sale. It arrived on Wednesday and it's sitting on my floor unused because they forgot the power adapter. Sigh.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Stomper View Post
I bought one from Noisebug last week when they had a 15% off sale. It arrived on Wednesday and it's sitting on my floor unused because they forgot the power adapter. Sigh.
Oh man that sucks. At least you can touch it and tell it how much you love her.

I really would like to have one but I think I'm going to start a modular system instead.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
How does the sequencer work?

In this demo the sequence runs once through the 8 leds and the next run though, it remains at the first 4
You can set the sequencer to re-trigger or run straight through all 8 steps with the flip of a switch. Insanely fun to play with. This thing is really raw sounding in a good way.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nooooo!
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post

And how does the resonance knob react on this one? On the former one (Leipzig-R), resonance only seems to kick in when the knob is at 3/4.
Can any one of the owners or Mr Analog Solutions tell us about this?
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Here's another nice demo, with also some Telemark, JX8-P and Vermona DRM sounds!

That Telemark sounds nice too, juicy resonance!

Peter.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Gearlust possessed my bank card and I ordered one, so I will be able to solve this mystery within a few days! heh

Peter.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Seems to be the case on the Leipzig-s as well. Resonance kicks in at around a 3/4 turn. The last 1/4 turn isn't as subtle.
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Oh man that sucks. At least you can touch it and tell it how much you love her.
I know, this last weekend was torture not being able to use it. The adapter arrived today so I'm good to go. Top notch service from Noisebug! I like those guys.
Old 19th October 2011
Quote:
I know, this last weekend was torture not being able to use it. The adapter arrived today so I'm good to go. Top notch service from Noisebug! I like those guys.
And? The Sound?
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Damn, ordered mine from a store in Glasgow, but I completely forgot that the PSU would ofcourse be fitted with a UK power plug!
I guess I was spoiled by Dave Smith synths, they always provide multi-plug PSU's.

I ordered a UK -> Euro plug adaptor, so no-play yet this weekend.

Peter.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Woohoo, my UK -> Euro plug arrived this morning and I got the chance to play for 10 mins. before going to work!

Sounds great so far, much rawer and 'Moog-like' than my ATC-Xi. I was afraid of them both covering the same sounds, but the ATC-Xi sounds more modern and refined.

Everything works like it should, except that the resonance only kicks in at 3/4, I don't know why they did that? The filter and the amp sound very powerful, lots of bass, and punchy with short envelopes. Too bad there isn't an option to retrigger the envelopes on every note, like on the ATC-Xi.

The modulation sequencer is a big plus and can get some nice movement in the sound!

I honestly wouldn't want to choose between the ATC-Xi and the Leipzig-S. ATC-Xi is more tedious to edit, but has memory locations and a more controlled sound. Leipzig-S is easier to edit and has a raw and powerful sound, ideal for bass. Both are great mono analogs!

Peter.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear
Ohhhhh, great. Do tell more! So far I like what I hear from you "raw and snappy". Yummy.

So, the resonance kicks in a bit later than one would expect, but once it does, is the knob travel and the resultant sound as you'd expect? I mean no sudden jumps from the 3/4 position to something full on? Also, how does the resonance sound to you.
Feed us with more info (how 'bout hard sync?) and sound clips, we beg you.

It's a pity that the Analog Solutions Lipzieg-S web page lacks detailed info and audio. For example, they say:

Quote:
Plenty of modulation routing possibilities.
But it would be nice to read more about that.

Quote:
We are a big fan of electronic percussion here, so Leipzig-S modulation choices provide for good drum possibilities
So, let's hear them! Together with a few vintage basses, leads, hard-sync sweeps, etc. Not just sequenced lines.

A nice full frontal pic of the unit would also be nice, as it often tells more at a glance than a spec sheet.

Mr. Analog Solutions, you spent lots of time and energy making this baby, and then appear not to be interested in presenting it in its full glory.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

I didn't say snappy (I still have to test the Leipzig-S for drum sounds), but the amp and envelopes sound very punchy to me.

Resonance kicks in at 3/4, but if you move the knob carefuly, there's enough variation after that, so no problem for me.

Yes there's plenty of modulation (eg. the manual also describes the step sequencer as an additional modulation source!). You can download the manual at the Analogue Solutions website.

Sync is great with some modulation sources available, most common is OSC2, which in turn can be modulated by ENV2 for that classic sync sweep.

I plan to do some full demos in the near future because I want to compare it to my ATC-Xi to hear what each does best.

Peter.
Old 8th December 2011
Here for the gear

...and the conversation's over?

How's the Leipzig-s treating all you new owners? I just sold my Future Retro 777 and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Leipzig-s and driving it with my FR Mobius. What is everyone else using to sequence the Leipzig with? Is that 3/4 turn on the resonance knob a big annoyance? Anyone have any new soundclips to post?

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2012
Here for the gear

Hi. I'm yet to find a demo with clean sounds . Filter open resonance off...just sweet osc sound. Can it sound clean like a mini?
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

had a bit of fun with the Leipzig-S last night.

thought i'd upload a bass part in case anyone is looking for audio examples.

Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

here's another little demo of the Leipzig-S sequencing itself:

Old 9th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
here's another little demo of the Leipzig-S sequencing itself:

cheers dude - I think its one of the best sounding modern monos - its a nice feature-set...
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
cheers dude - I think its one of the best sounding modern monos - its a nice feature-set...
Yeah, i'm getting to quite like it.

I think of it as a spiritual successor to the Pro-One. Knobby, raw, snappy.

Just a shame there's no CV/Gate. :-(
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

^Nice demo's.

Any chance of posting some with the Leipzig sequencing some drum sounds. A multi-tracked beat perhaps. I own the Telemark and the Oberkorn but am curious about this one.
Old 17th July 2013
It is one of the most underrated synth - and it is my most beloved synth

this track is made completly only with the Leipzig-S (also drums)

In this ambient track of me the leads and noises from beginning to the end are done "live" in one record
it is a fantastic synth for changing sounds on the fly

this is the synth that will never leave me

edit: corrected the links
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

Fixed the link for ya.

Old 17th July 2013
ah, was just wondering... thanks
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

No problem! Nice video's by the way.
I used to have a Telemark k.
Old 23rd September 2013
Based on the Analog Solutions description of the Leipzig...

--None of the parameters or controls are quantised. So when you turn a knob, you are turning a resistor that affects a real analogue circuit.

--Because each parameter is not under solid CPU control, each parameter has that tiny analogue drift that adds so much to character.

--You are forced to be creative. No reliance on presets! Each time you make a sound you are being original.

--Quick, easy and simple to use! WYSIWYG - no nasty menus and sub-menus to change the sound.

Does this mean it can't even CLOCK with other units in time via MIDI (to match tempo)?
Old 23rd September 2013
No, it runs perfect in midi sync with a DAW or other Synth, because midi is the only digital thing there
Old 23rd September 2013
AWESOME - ORDERED!

Thanks, Acid Battle.

I see this synth as the perfect crossover between the mod world and the regular hard synth world. Enough to possibly lure me over to the dark side (the people who complain there is no CV and have Borg-assimilated spaghetti-wired columns of raw metal devices all over), or at least provide enough raw, experimental crafting of analog sound to satisfy my needs!
Old 24th September 2013
You will have fun, it is like having a new Model D - but with Midi and a analog sequencer
Old 9th October 2013
Finally got it!! It's a beautiful beast. I have so much to learn though, but at least I can crank out some loops for now...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search